01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

Old 02-12-2007
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
hey, if you have a 01 manual, and you put in a 03 manual cluster.......i thought you didnt have to rewire anything????
You have the years wrong...01-02 are interchangable with no wiring and 03-05 are interchangable with each other, but 03-05 going into an 01-02 require rewiring
Old 02-12-2007

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by korn10
ill do the same, it looks sexy

I posted a link for a cluster exactly like mine, it's got one bid right now. Same people I bought mine from
Old 02-13-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
ne idea for a VP ???

I have an 04 civic VP. Now i dont know if u guys are aware but cheapsters at honda dont give an RPM gauge on the speedometres for VP's. I have no clue y ...

Do u guys know if the same kind of SPEEDOMETRE CLUSTER would work on my car ??? Its a Manual 2004 VP.

Please let me know..
Old 02-13-2007

Originally Posted by mani_is_kool
I have an 04 civic VP. Now i dont know if u guys are aware but cheapsters at honda dont give an RPM gauge on the speedometres for VP's. I have no clue y ...

Do u guys know if the same kind of SPEEDOMETRE CLUSTER would work on my car ??? Its a Manual 2004 VP.

Please let me know..
Yes my cluster would work, but you'd have to rewire. If you don't want to rewire your car, buy an 01-02 M/T gauge cluster. I'd sell you mine but I don't want to have to go through the hassle of finding another one if I ever part out...
Old 02-13-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
You have the years wrong...01-02 are interchangable with no wiring and 03-05 are interchangable with each other, but 03-05 going into an 01-02 require rewiring
ohhh ok.......

i thought that as long as you had a manual......you could swap 01-05 manual w/o rewiring....

i saw that thread on here and he had a manual and took an automatic cluster......and he rewired it......so i thought it was just if you were going with auto cluster from manual
Old 02-13-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
nice...i like mine better tho...01 coupe style.
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

Tokoyama is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PD Chico
Look at the little grooves in the pins, there should be a retaing tab that fits into the tiny groove. All you have to do is stick the pick tool in there and pry up on it to release the pin.

yea sorry for brining a dead thread back up and stealing this one, i just didnt want to make a new thread for this. im trying to install a 03-05 LX cluster on my 05 DX/vp and ive been looking at this thread, but no matter what i try i cant get the damn pins out
Old 02-15-2007

Same here dude. I tried the pick set, tried needles, tried everything....I'm just going to have to make time and go find an actual pin extractor...
Old 02-15-2007
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
how much did u pay for that?
Old 02-15-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Same here dude. I tried the pick set, tried needles, tried everything....I'm just going to have to make time and go find an actual pin extractor...
i was doing some searching on the forums, and some of them mentioned using a paper clip and pushing the pin out from the front, and some mentioned a "pin popper", ill link you to the thread i was reading:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...P+cluster+swap

as for me, its already late, im gonna try again tomorrow morning
Old 02-15-2007

Originally Posted by mugenman
how much did u pay for that?
55 Shipped

Originally Posted by Tokoyama
i was doing some searching on the forums, and some of them mentioned using a paper clip and pushing the pin out from the front, and some mentioned a "pin popper", ill link you to the thread i was reading:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...P+cluster+swap

as for me, its already late, im gonna try again tomorrow morning

Yeah, I tried the paperclip...no luck on that either
Old 02-16-2007
Registered!!

were you able to get them out yet? i just made my 2nd attempt still cant get the suckers out
Old 02-16-2007

Nah I won't have time to try again until Sunday... If I buy a pin extractor and I still can't get them out, I'm just going to take it to a damn shop and have them show me how to get them out
Old 02-16-2007
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
sweet progress
Old 02-16-2007
Registered!!

savedadogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Good price on a cluster. I do like the blue rings. Please take a picture of it lighted.
Old 02-17-2007
Registered!!

damnit, still cant figure this **** out, i have the new cluster sitting infront of me, i swear its mocking me...****er....

hey do you guys know anywhere where i can just buy the blue/green wire connectors? i swear if thats the case, then im just gonna tear up the old connectors to get the pins out and put them in the new one. anyone know other than honda? i already called them and they refuse to sell me it
Old 02-17-2007
Pinkslip Racer

karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
i just did this swap last week!

before

after

i would kill for the coupe cluster tho

how much did u pay for it anyways?

btw if u need any help, its all still fresh in my memory. took me like 3 days to figure out how to get the pins out (ended up using a special tool made for it) and after that, its allllll downhill. took me less than an hr. some wires tho didnt wanan come out, so i had to cut and solder them

i still got a couple probs tho...abs light, airbag light, a red dot on the N and oil light (but they both go away when i turn the lights on)
Old 02-17-2007
Registered!!

i paid around 70 shipped for mine, what tool did you use and where did you get it and how much? oh and the ABS since VP dont have side airbags, just get black tape and tape over it, or just live with it, atleast thats what i read on the forums
Old 02-17-2007

damnit, still cant figure this **** out, i have the new cluster sitting infront of me, i swear its mocking me...****er....

hey do you guys know anywhere where i can just buy the blue/green wire connectors? i swear if thats the case, then im just gonna tear up the old connectors to get the pins out and put them in the new one. anyone know other than honda? i already called them and they refuse to sell me it

I called up my preferred wrecking yard and they said they don't cut harnesses, and they wanted to charge me 400 for the entire dash harness. I'm thinking of just trying to find any wrecked 01-05 and have the cluster harness cut so I can experiment with it outside of the car...
Old 02-17-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
Guys Im confused

Which Cluster has the BLUE RINGS and which one has the RED RINGS ?

The pic posted by RAFUS with the RED RINGS is hot and that is preferably what i want ... Can some one give me details like what year and trim is that RED RING cluster from ? And one more thing is that would I have to REWIRE it to fit my 2004 Manual TRANNY VP COUPE

Thank u All
Old 02-18-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mani_is_kool
Which Cluster has the BLUE RINGS and which one has the RED RINGS ?

The pic posted by RAFUS with the RED RINGS is hot and that is preferably what i want ... Can some one give me details like what year and trim is that RED RING cluster from ? And one more thing is that would I have to REWIRE it to fit my 2004 Manual TRANNY VP COUPE

Thank u All
clusters with the red ring are from the coupes, blue rings are from sedans
Old 02-18-2007
Registered!!

^ and since yours is a VP i think youll have to re-wire the same as us, check this link to see how the wire set up should look like:

2001 to 2003 Gauge Cluster Conversion - Infinite012
Old 02-18-2007
Pinkslip Racer

karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
i paid around 70 shipped for mine, what tool did you use and where did you get it and how much? oh and the ABS since VP dont have side airbags, just get black tape and tape over it, or just live with it, atleast thats what i read on the forums
**** i dunno the name of the tool, i got it from school (i go to an auto mech school) i just went to the tool guy and told him i need something to get wires out of a connector and he gave me this thing with like 6 small things of various sizes and one of them fits perfectly into the connector holes. if you want to exact name, i can get it for you on monday....

btw, @ 70$(i assume usd) is that the going price for them? cuz i got mine for 30$cad (like 25 usd)
Old 02-18-2007
Registered!!

monday would be fine.

im not sure if its the going rate, maybe i got ripped maybe not, i got mine from ebay, and at the time all the them were going for 80+s&h, one was going for 60 but it had a scratch going down the middle
Old 02-18-2007

Originally Posted by karizzle
**** i dunno the name of the tool, i got it from school (i go to an auto mech school) i just went to the tool guy and told him i need something to get wires out of a connector and he gave me this thing with like 6 small things of various sizes and one of them fits perfectly into the connector holes. if you want to exact name, i can get it for you on monday....

btw, @ 70$(i assume usd) is that the going price for them? cuz i got mine for 30$cad (like 25 usd)
I've seen the gauge cluster I got go for as high as 200 on ebay...It's pretty hard to come by. Auto clusters are pretty much a dime a dozen on ebay
Old 02-18-2007
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
I was going to change my 01 cluster to red led's, but I don't have the time to have my car down to do it. I have all of my buttons and a/c contols switched to red led's. I think I'm going to get a cluster from an 03-05 ex coupe, but I have side air bags on my car. Do I need to get one from a car that had side air bags, or is it already built into the cluster? Good luck on your install 01honder.
Old 02-18-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SEN_ONE
I was going to change my 01 cluster to red led's, but I don't have the time to have my car down to do it. I have all of my buttons and a/c contols switched to red led's. I think I'm going to get a cluster from an 03-05 ex coupe, but I have side air bags on my car. Do I need to get one from a car that had side air bags, or is it already built into the cluster? Good luck on your install 01honder.
it shouldnt matter if cluster came from a car that had side air bags, i think any 03-05 cluster will do, its just a matter of wiring the connector properly
Old 02-18-2007
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks, but I was concerned that the cluster may not have the "side airbag" light on it. I didn't know if it's one of those things they put in there even if it doesn't get used.
Old 02-18-2007
Banned

Uhh ... guys ... is there any way i can ESCAPE the rewiring process and still have RED RINGS in my car ??? (04coupeVP) ???
Old 02-18-2007

Have somebody make you a conversion harness....Otherwise there is no way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video