DIY: ground wire upgrade and HVS part II (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Read the first post. 3 wires are needed. You really should just make your own from some good copper audio ground wire and ring terminals. There is no need for all the extra wirees the kit comes with.
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheamahm0n3yat is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
Read the first post. 3 wires are needed. You really should just make your own from some good copper audio ground wire and ring terminals. There is no need for all the extra wirees the kit comes with.

oh okay.... i was kind of confuse because i looked at another forum under the diy section and it seemed like it had a whole bunch of wires and it seemed like the grounding was different from your diy.
Old 09-23-2005
sTz
Registered!!

sTz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where is the Ground point for Alternator?

For What I know from TokyoAutoPros tech, there is 2 more grounds point for honda civic 2001,

one to the Block and one to the ALternator that will make it even better.

My question is ... where is this ground point for Alternator ? I know where the alternator is but very hard to reach it and to find the ground point ... if anyone can help me and provide me with picture which even better I would really appreciate it

I have Manual too and kind of a little bit confused where the ground point to the tranny ... hopefully i did it right but if someone can provide picture where to go i even more appreciate it

Thanks guys
Old 09-23-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
imo, just replace the stock grounds. I can't help on the tranny ground for manual...and the alternator is not a good idea either. Won't do anything.
Old 09-23-2005
sTz
Registered!!

Question

Gearbox, thanks for replying and question is why won't do anything for the alternator? if you can explain me in a better way thank you
Old 09-24-2005
Premium Member

its already grounded just fine from the factory (otherwise it wouldn't work). The only way to see some difference is upgrade the POWER wire but that is much more difficult and dangerous to do correctly.
Old 09-24-2005
sTz
Registered!!

Cool

ummm ok, I kind of feel a little bit different though once i had the grounding to the block ... the engine seems a little bit smoother than before .... by the way gearbox, is the SHV type LH is better for regular driving and maybe once in a while racing but not too much? The shop that i bought it from told me so cause there is no point to have MR if only drive as usuall and not racing it to much .... what do u think? I already bought the LH type but I can exchange it but damn the price for MR is 70 bucks different
Thanks

Last edited by sTz; 09-24-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2005
Premium Member

You will not notice any difference after installing ground wires. Even with the hvs-mr I only felt a tiny bit better throttle response and a 1-2mpg difference in gas usage. I really don't think there's a difference tho between the models. Its just a bunch of small capacitors in there anyway.
Old 09-24-2005
sTz
Registered!!

hey Gearbox once again ... Thanks a lot man ... I still going to work on the grounding to alternator sometimes today ... btw is that easy to replace the header?
Old 09-24-2005
Premium Member

not too bad but bolts can be hard to get off. For the alternator, its somewhere on the housing bolts but do not pick the power wire or you're gonna have big problems.
Old 09-25-2005
sTz
Registered!!

Question

Bolts huh .... damn might need 4wd to loose it a little bit .... on the housing bolts hmmmm will look into that ... hey thanks a lot man ... you help me a lot ....

I have search for header but most of them are for 01 civic EX ... can't find for the LX .. if i'm going to buy the EX type would that be fit on my LX ?

Last edited by sTz; 09-25-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Aargh! Can't...see...Pics!

Gearbox:

Wish I had a server you could host em on :-)

Quick Q: there was someone on the forum about 2+ years ago that had a pretty spiffy grounding kit with red wires and a distribution block on the negative battery terminal. Do you use a distro block on your neg terminal, or are there just a bunch of wires running off (Forgive me for askin, but I see no pics :-(

TIA! I will probably be doing this DIY myself. If gearbox doesn't have a distro block, i'm gonna wire one up with the additional alternator points. Living right by the ocean is nice, but it kills your electrical system!
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

bp_22ca is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe lost the pics in the upgrade, I can't see them now...
Old 10-24-2005
Premium Member

pics are still in my ride page. they got lost in the move but i will relink em tonight. send me a pm later so i don't forget..
Old 10-24-2005
Premium Member

bump for pics reloaded
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

DTTheEmperor is an unknown quantity at this point
great pics and detail instructions on the diy Gearbox. I have one question do you know where is the ground for the headlight is because I can't find it anywhere. Thanks again Gearbox.
Old 01-09-2006
Premium Member

i'm not sure. i bought an upgraded wire harness from suvlights.com and it came with its own separate ground wire. I did see a whole bunch of wires clumped together and grounded if you take off the passenger side fender plastic above the wheel and look straight ahead. its grounded to the metal.
Old 01-14-2006
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
oh...this is nice. i'll do this soon
Old 12-03-2006
Racism sucks, just like your Mom...

Scott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of lightScott Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it took me over half an hour to find it. Did a search on "Big 3", but found nothing, so I had to go through all of gearbox's older posts. Just wanted to subscribe, so that I'll have an easy link to it from now on. My apologies.

And why isn't this a sticky?
Old 12-03-2006
Premium Member

wow i cannot believe the pics still work. just in case, here are some more reliable ones showing the points. those other ground wires are for my radio and hid ballasts.

Old 03-15-2007
Registered!!

soydeedo is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the updated pics. you might want to throw these two into the original post since none of those work now? anywho, thanks again.
Old 03-24-2010
Registered!!

dxdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: ground wire upgrade and HVS part II (pics)

pics dont work anymore
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

d0ughbOy81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dxdude
pics dont work anymore
update plz
Old 05-31-2012
ES1 parts you don't need? I will buy them for free!!

H82001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pictures? I have a manual tranny and i replaced the tranny ground and ran the one from the thermostat to my neg post and my car just randomly shut off when i was driving. I put the thermostat one back to the chassis where it was and it runs normal now. Don't know if I was sposed to do that or not cuz no pics.....

So hoping for pics por favor.
Old 06-01-2012
Premium Member

will get some updated pics tomorrow, but you only want to replace the factory grounds. do not add or remove, just replace with 4 gauge wire. i got some premade cables from batteries plus and just swapped them out. one from battery negative to the chassis under fuse box, one from chassis to trans, and one from engine to radiator support. just take out all the stock wires and remake the grounds with the new cables. use a "battery saver" from the auto store which is a 12v socket connector with a 9v battery connected to it. turn the key to acc position, and the device will save your computer memory as you swap out the ground wires. otherwise you will have a mess of resetting the computer, doing the idle learn, and spending 100+ miles relearning the readiness codes to pass smog.
Old 06-01-2012
Premium Member

updated diy description and added pics