DIY: Grounding kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
happies713 is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY: Grounding kit Install

First Grounding point - negative battery terminal.

Second Point, from the negative terminal to the Tranny.

Third Point from the Tranny to the Firewall.

Fourth point from the Fire wall to the drive side strut tower.

5th point from the negative to the front radiator support.

6th point to the valve cover.

Benifits noticed, my gf car is stock, has 20K LX 7th gen civic.

1. Stronger Starts.
2. Smoother Automatic tranny, it some how responds a little quicker.
3. Brighter Head lights, stock head light blubs. Brigther than my neighbors PIAA's on the same car. LOL..
4. Throttle Response is improved. First thing i noticed when i drove the car.
5. MPG should be improved havent watched the odo to really keep track. She goes to calpoly and did notice a little better mpg.
6. Buzzing from a bad head unit ground is gone, she has a pioneer head unit about 1 year old sounds a little clearer, just the highs.

The grounding points arent the best but feel free to explore and look for better grounding, as i would have had better acess to more points if my gf had an intake or something. I will be doing a install on vanillaman's car.. soon. so look for his review.

Last edited by happies713; 06-27-2003 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2003
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough
cool... thanks
Old 06-27-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
how much did you buy it?? is there a diagram from the original box?

thanks
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

I sell them Check the Retail Forum. 38.00 shipped. i have red, blue, silver, black color wire.

I am hosting a group buy on my grounding kits. I have colors red, blue, black, silver.
Quality Wire made in the USA. OFC oxygen free cable. 100% electrolite copper. Highstrand count wire, very thick protective jacked with a high gloss finnish, Gold Plated ring terminals with rubber boots covering. The terminals holes will fit into most 10mm bolts.

Price is 38.00 Shipped. This price will be for 1 month, starting today. Please paypal Happies713@hotmail.com and Indicate car model and color wire needed. The kits will be shipped USPS and take 2 days to process and ship after i recieve payment. I also take Money order or checks, please contact me for more information.

Last edited by happies713; 06-27-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have heard good things about this mod from some friends...Honda's are prone to having bad grounding. Have you guys ever noticed the instrument panels dimming at night when you accelerate sometimes??? I might have to try this.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

All cars can improve from the grounding kits.
Old 06-27-2003
YS
Registered!!

is it better if you put it on all 4 of them ???
?? or ??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fbe7f5e5.jpg
Views:	10138
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	4140  
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

You could do that, but the point is just to get a ground going to the valve cover. the ground energy should circulate through the whole area. =)
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

024drlx is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks good info?
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
thats one dirty engine bay.. clean it with some simple green.. and walah clean as new..
Old 06-29-2003
YS
Registered!!

this is what i put on the valve cover (Only 2 of them because i ran out of cable terminal)........... probably i'm gonna upt the ground on all 4 of them next week

Name:	mvc-005s.jpg
Views:	5975
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	4233  

Last edited by YS; 06-29-2003 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2003
YS
Registered!!

for the tranny

Name:	mvc-006s.jpg
Views:	4604
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	4234  
Old 06-29-2003
YS
Registered!!

from battery

Name:	mvc-004s.jpg
Views:	7259
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	4235  
Old 06-29-2003
YS
Registered!!

driver side sturt tower

Name:	mvc-009s.jpg
Views:	4027
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	4237  
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
can you give us some more info happies713, what kinda wire is it that you are selling? Im looking for that almost pure copper wire...how pure is yours? I know the hyper ground kit is 99.9% pure or something
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

My wire manufacture says 100% Copper content! Oxygen Free Cable, the jacked is able to with stand the engine heat, as i have had no reported problems, with over 80 kits that i have sold. =) YS those are great grounding points.
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

JLODVO is an unknown quantity at this point
can we use ordinary ground wires from sound systems like monster cables
Old 06-30-2003
JDM wannabe

nme3 is an unknown quantity at this point
what kind of hp gains did you all notice, if any at all?
Old 06-30-2003
YS
Registered!!

that's what i ued .... Monster cable. I got a left over from installing my sound system. 4G and 8G cable
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

I could use monster cable but, i that would make the cost, higher, than i would like it to be.
I want the kit to cost as much as a DIY kit, but good quality. Im trying to save you some time, by not having to source the items and crimp the connections and cut the wire. =) Install is about 45 min.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

JLODVO is an unknown quantity at this point
ys the ground in the valve cover? do we need to scrape the paint of the bolt? so we can get a good ground , coz the direct coil cover is made of plastic right? so the contact is just the bolt holding the coil system?

Name:	tttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.jpg
Views:	2483
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	4287  
Old 07-01-2003
YS
Registered!!

i did
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

i havent dynoed a civic, but on a toyota matrix, it did show a gain, not sure how much.

i have recieved numerous comments on how the shift from 2-3 feels stronger, in many celicas, and toyota matrix.
Old 07-01-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Hey -

You have to be careful what is grounded. Honda grounded certain parts / locations for a reason. If you just start running ground wires everywhere you're going to have eddy currents and you might just f#ck something up. Technically if you re-run the factory ground wires you should be fine - but I really wouldn't mess with it beyond that! Take it from an electrical engineer.....
Old 07-02-2003
YS
Registered!!

so which part can we grounded????
Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Well, I personally wouldn't touch anything, since I really don't see how this could give you any gains. If the factory grounds are corroded or loose, that's a different story. However it rarely happens that they become loose, possibly corroded.

So if you do change things - just replace the factory ground wire from the battery, plus the one on the transmission and engine block. This may help with current flow to and from the battery, but there is also a ground wire on the alternator as well if I'm not mistaken - this would also have to be changed if you are going to start playing around with the other wires.

Other than that - I wouldn't mess with anything else. Not to rag on the guy who did any of this, but I really doubt that you saw any "real" gains from this - possibly noise in the radio was gone, but better shifting? More power? Highly unlikely.
Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

Please dont Knock Grounding until you have tried it. For a fact i stated that does work, if my grounding kit did not "gain much" or improve much anything, i would not have sold 80+ kits.
Look at 350z owners, they are equipped with grounding kits all the time. www.my350z.com
check out matrixowners.com, or newcelica.net every single car that has the kit has reported a small gain if none, better throttle response and increased MPG, brighter head lights.

Why does NISMO offer a grounding kit to 350z owners? Why does Mitsubishi offer a grounding kit as an option on their Lancer Evolution? Why did Import tuner test a Suzuki aero with a gain of 3-4 hp on the dyno? Because they work. =) its simple easy and effective.
Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
More power = very doubtful unless there is alot of resistance within the old wires.

What size wires are they?
Do you have a wire that goes from the Batter to the alternator?

opto_isolator as for running more ground wires. you should know this if your an electrical engineer. electricty takes the path with the least resistance. more possible ground points the better. (granted too many it just starts to get rediculous.)
Old 07-02-2003
I Am The Chosen One

profurious is an unknown quantity at this point
this grounding stuff is for real, no doubt you will gain some good performance #'s from it.
Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator as for running more ground wires. you should know this if your an electrical engineer. electricty takes the path with the least resistance. more possible ground points the better. (granted too many it just starts to get rediculous.)
Yes - but there is more to it than that! Eddy currents (ie circulating currents) are caused by voltage differentials. You have the possibility of creating voltage differentials when you have ground loops. Ground loops are more common (and notorious) in home audio equipment, as the humming you hear coming from the speakers. They can and will damage equipment if not dealt with properly. When you start running ground wires all over the place you do two things:

You create the possibility of ground loops, and you just waste more time and money.

Why do you think that the negative of the battery is run to the car body? Because it is the best ground available (its everywhere). And due to material properties of the metal - its continuous, therefore voltage differentials should not exist. This is why all of this quackery with grounding kits (IMHO) is just plain malarky! As long as there is a place for current to flow - through the body or the factory wires - than you are just wasting your money. Its called the placebo effect.

The only positive thing I can see from this is if the joints where the frame is welded together are rusted, corroded, or weakened. Quite possibly another thing that I can see changing the ground wire out is if you are running a high output alternator / battery system. Than I see the possibility of this helping since there is an increased current output. Other than that the cables provided from the manufacturer have more than enough ampacity to handle the factory current returning to the battery and than some.

Please dont Knock Grounding until you have tried it. For a fact i stated that does work, if my grounding kit did not "gain much" or improve much anything, i would not have sold 80+ kits.
This does not prove anything. There is no statistical data which shows this. This is purely a subjective statement. I can claim that my "internal antenna" for my cell phone works as well just by saying that I've sold over 100 of them. But everyone knows (or should know for that matter) that it is a hoax (subnote - in fact the company who manfactures these devices has been sued by the FTC for misrepresenting their product).

Look at 350z owners, they are equipped with grounding kits all the time. www.my350z.com
check out matrixowners.com, or newcelica.net every single car that has the kit has reported a small gain if none, better throttle response and increased MPG, brighter head lights.
Just more uninformed public. Look at lemmings, they all run off of a cliff too, following the first one. Why? Because they don't know any better.

I'm not ripping on your product (or trying to start a fight) - this thread was started in the "tech" section of the forum, not the GB section. I am trying to inform the general public (ie readers) that there simply is no need to do this (unless they have updated the charging system of their car - and even than only the factory ground wires).

Quick Reply: DIY: Grounding kit Install