DIY: Grounding kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryn is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by opto_isolator
Hey -

You have to be careful what is grounded. Honda grounded certain parts / locations for a reason. If you just start running ground wires everywhere you're going to have eddy currents and you might just f#ck something up. Technically if you re-run the factory ground wires you should be fine - but I really wouldn't mess with it beyond that! Take it from an electrical engineer.....
If you were really an electrical engineer you would know that additional grounding point would actually reduce the appearance of eddy current. Eddy current form in on smooth conductors and are induced by a magnetic field. What would extra grounding points have to do with generating eddy currents???? The extra grounding would reduce the possibility of any cyclical eddy currents because the current would have a place to escape. Least that's what I learned as a EE.

I'll agree that too many is not worth while, just ludicrous, but the addition of some 4 gauge conductors to the transmission, frame, and body would help.

I'm all there with your doubting any performance gain though. That's just a crock.

Last edited by Bryn; 07-02-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Read my previous post.....You also as an engineering student should know that engineers design things the way they do for a reason. Honda designed the grounding system the way they did because they know what they are doing.

BTW, read the NEC - it'll explain things better to you (specifically article 250, which deals entirely with grounding)
Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

happies713 is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess you won't believe a single word i say until you try the Grounding kit for yourslef.

I have nothing more to say but, try the Grounding kit, if you are not fully satisifyed, i will refund your money.
Old 07-02-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Ok - sorry. I'm not ripping specifically on your concept - just the methodology of it. See here:

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1506

This is HKS' version of your system (with their attached price accordingly! Roughly $125). I agree that what you are in theory attempting to do is correct (give each piece a better ground). However, HKS has taken the appropriate approach to it. See the picture.

Each section of car is being grounded by only 1 wire. Each wire is than run back to a circular metal disc (which would be the equivalent of a "central earthing point"). This disc than has one ground wire running to the chassis (or is directly bolted to the car itself). This is the correct method of doing it. Almost like a computer network - a central server with nodes connected to it - picture a spider.

This method (should in theory) prevent any voltage differentials - and MAY increase current flow. The only real gains that I could see from this is where massive power flows exist (such is the coil packs, the alternator, and any motors or large loads). This may be where you are seeing your gains from. So in essence, I rescind my last statement of not seeing any results. It is possible to see minimal gains on this if done right. However, I would not make over-assumptions (such as Injen and AEM do) about HP gains or other extreme improvements, as data would have to be present to back them up.
Old 07-02-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
like mine goes into one place

but i only use 2 of 4G wires and 2 of 8G wires out from the (-) terminal
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

Some info i found on Car Audio forums. =)

Old 07-03-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
So what is the best way to wire this thing? Do like the guy in the first post, or just replace the factory grounds?
Old 07-03-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
why are there two ground cables connected to the battery?
Old 07-03-2003
YS
Registered!!

Originally posted by gearbox
why are there two ground cables connected to the battery?
... 2 of 4G wires and 2 of 8G wires ...
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

JLODVO is an unknown quantity at this point
opto_isolator post a copy of the NEC article 250, coz what ur saying is doubtful, coz adding a few extra groundings is good for better flow of current, im been installing sound setups in cars for a couple of years now, and now im into engine performance with my friends, grounding kits will add hp to cars that has poor grounding points small gauge wire and most of the cars do have poor grounds.
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator post a copy of the NEC article 250, coz what ur saying is doubtful, coz adding a few extra groundings is good for better flow of current, im been installing sound setups in cars for a couple of years now, and now im into engine performance with my friends, grounding kits will add hp to cars that has poor grounding points small gauge wire and most of the cars do have poor grounds
So what does that mean? I went to school for 5 years. I have been building power plants for two years. What's your point? You want to start a pissing contest? That's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to approach this from a technical prospective - with facts and figures, not opinions.

Can't post a copy of the NEC since it is copy protected. NEC = national electrical code. Go to Barnes and Noble and look up the book, they have them there in the engineering section. There is just a basic explanation of isolating certain grounds, and ground loops, etc (mostly for safety, but also to eliminate RF noise)

As I said before, read my previous post. Than read the one about HKS' system. The proper way to do this is to remove all factory ground wires, and than ground to one central point / location. That way you won't have any differentials, and should not have any induced RF noise (or do any damage for that matter). But than again, some of the points listed above are unnescessary to ground - its like over redundant.

You guys can all do what you want - I'm just stating what I know and have read in technical articles. I might actually but some cabling and try this mod out - but as I said before (not trying to preach), I'd try and take HKS' approach.

Just my $.02....
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

JLODVO is an unknown quantity at this point
when ur done with with that tell us again ur findings, dont get **** off okey, this is a forum to learn things and thanks for the info u gave
Old 07-03-2003

liljoe is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend did a central grounding point on his 95 civic. very noticable difference. i'm getting the parts together to do it to mine .
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

This also provides more ground energy to the sensors on your car are more effiecent. =)
Old 07-04-2003
Registered!!

Another satisfifyed customer!!

RamboRami from www.g35driver.com
I had recently purchased Happy's grounding wires of which i paid only $40. I must make this clear that Happy only sells wires, so it did not come with instructions nor extra bolts.

I installed the kit on Friday, took about 2 hours because of the lack of good directions. If i had to do it again, it would take me 5 minutes to install it. Its that easy now.

I took out the G for a short drive on Friday night and I noticed a tiny bit of smoothness improvement, engine-wise.

What boggles my mind is that yesterday, my brother was driving my car, and he commented on how smooth the car feels, and how quickly and smoothly the shifter feels now. I did not even tell him about the grounding wires yet!

Another improvement that I've noticed is the ability to squeal the tires from the 2-3 shift!!!!!!! Its so easy to do now!

Conclusion: Go get yourself some $40 grounding wires from Happy (i cant seem to find his thread on here).

Improvements: Faster shifting (6MT), ability to chirp the tires from 2-3 upshift, noticibally smoother engine response.
Old 07-04-2003
YES
Banned

YES is an unknown quantity at this point
its all in your head...that faster shifting it the subconcious telling the arm to slam the gear harder. chirps from 2-3 are cause of the clutch. smoother engine response...ya ok
Old 07-05-2003
Premium Member

Why is everyone so quick to make bad comments without even trying the kit? How do you know? When I get mine, I'll post some objective results after having tried it.
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

slamtank is an unknown quantity at this point
why are there two ground cables connected to the battery? ¡±

... 2 of 4G wires and 2 of 8G wires ...
whats 4G and 8G??
whats different??
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

8 gauge wire is smaller

4 gauge wire is double the size of 8 gauge wire.
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

slamtank is an unknown quantity at this point
how is that related to having two ground cables connected to the battery?
Old 07-05-2003
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
Instead of taking opto_isolator the negative way, why don't you use his extensive comments to revise the current version? hks style?

opto_isolator is not trying to bash on your product, but telling you a few flaws in your grounding kit.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why wouldn't Honda do it- That's easy looks like zhit. Really though who cares if it works this well. Thanks for the info
Old 07-05-2003
YS
Registered!!

Originally posted by slamtank
whats 4G and 8G??
whats different??
i'm using 8G wires because i'm out of 4G wires (all wires are left over from my sound system setup) ........... actually i have about 10 feet RED 4G wires left, BUT since i already use it for my (+) Battery terminal, i just don't want to be confused so i use the White/Silver wires
Old 07-06-2003
Registered!!

The dasiy chain method had been proven to work over and over, again, on integra gsr, integra type r, my gf's 7th gen, my toyota matrix, and many many other cars that i have grouned, Lancer EVO, Toyota MRS Spyder, Toyota Celcia, Honda S2000.

I could build the HKS style, woud you guys like to see that? i will only use 8 GAUGE wire, and it will only be in red. I will post pics when I install it. =)
Old 07-06-2003
Premium Member

That would be great. Then you can post a comparison to see if there's any difference. Even a small gain would be worth it.
Old 07-06-2003
Registered!!

That'd be cool - since HKS decides to charge $125 for a few pieces of wire and a gold plated metal disc. Freaken crazy man!
Old 07-06-2003
Registered!!

here is my hub star method. =)

i have not installed it. The Price is 60.00 i have two sets made. These take longer to make because they included more wires.

1 4 gauge wire
7 pieces of 8 gauge wire, for you to ground where ever you like, and a gold plated terminal to replace the stock terminal. =)

Last edited by happies713; 07-06-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2003
YS
Registered!!

hmm ....... i'm gonna buy some more wire terminal tommorow for my 8G cables
Old 07-08-2003
Registered!!

hothondacivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok i can speak from experience i have a ground wire kit in my car . Yes it does work and i feel a diff with it all the things the package says , headlights brighter , a little more torque , and maybe a little horses 2-3
again i said maybe so dont critisize me for saying it . But i didnt buy the one from happies i bought the sun auto hyper ground wires they are prolly the same thing . I used to think it was a dumb idea that didnt work but now that i tried it im gonna put it on all my cars .
also if you dont believe me then ask ASNBOYSRFR he drove my car and he said he noticed a diff .
Old 07-08-2003
Registered!!

gipperkid is an unknown quantity at this point
QUESTION!!!??? why are all you guys paying $60 plus dollars for these "special grounding kits"?? don't you guys realize you can just do it your self. go to an audio store or online and buy 4- or 8- guage wiring in about any color you want and get the gold plated termianls also. lets see i got about 8 gold plated terminals for like 5 or 6 bucks and wire is like $1 per foot or a little more. so where do ppl get off charging $60 or more dollars??? someone correct me if i am wrong......

thanks

Quick Reply: DIY: Grounding kit Install