DIY - Rusted, frozen rotor holding bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
DIY - Rusted, frozen rotor holding bolts

The rotors in the 7th gen lasts a long time. Mine were still stock and if one was not warped, they would still be there.

after 1 1/2 year in Canada, they were stuck in place... One side, I had a bearing replaced, so it was removed (they did not put the bolts back, I can understand why).

the other... a pain!
I am referring to these ones that are still left in the rotor. They are simply there to hold them in place during the assembly line to not to fall out.

Name:  20161205_211843%20-%20Copy_zpssjt48mpj.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  265.4 KB

impact wrench, drill with driver bits, PB blast, heat, nothing could take them out. Also, I had to stop before they stripped.

that's when MAC and ezone told me of the impact driver. No, it's not an impact wrench.
this is not powered, it's manual.

it have bits that are screw drivers (straight, philips) and when you wack on them, they turn.

So, you don't need to push like crazy, the wack pushes the tool against the bolt, so it does not strip as easily.

took me two days wacking the hell out of it...

Name:  20161211_185844%20-%20Copy_zpsdpc4ugbd.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  20161211_185842%20-%20Copy_zpszqawthgs.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  243.6 KB

but victory was mine!!!

Name:  20161211_181633%20-%20Copy_zpsqpy3npfa.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  314.2 KB

The holding bolts will never find its way back to the rotors!!!

Name:  20161211_185832%20-%20Copy_zps83budfbp.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  285.3 KB

thanks, Mac and ezone!

note: there's some of them that are reversible, but there's no manual that comes with them. Be sure it's adjusted to the right direction before you go wacking at it.
I pushed mine against the floor to see which direction it turned.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-20-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: DIY - Rusted, frozen rotor holding bolts

Those darn screws are why I own an impact screw driver. Nice write up.

I found that when I used freezing spray (for electronics) on the screws they came out better. But sometimes they just won't move!!
Old 12-24-2016
Honda Maniac!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbuff2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY - Rusted, frozen rotor holding bolts

You can drill the heads off the old screws. That's where they corrode (under the heads), anyway.

When you fit new rotors you can leave the headless screws in place, or just crank 'em out with Vise-Grips.

+++++++++++

I intimidate my rotor screws these days, by having both my drill and impact wrench nearby where the rotors can see them! When the parts KNOW they can't win, they come out EASY.

Same thing works well for sway bar end-links.