VAFC II Full Installation Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well the safc doesn't use the vtm wire obviously.
Old 01-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
so my quesion is what does the pink and purple wires go to on the safc?
Old 01-22-2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
just got off of aim with you so just email the info i asked about and i'll help you put
Old 01-22-2005
Registered!!

email sent
Old 02-12-2005

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
u ever find the problem?
Old 02-13-2005

thougth i would post this up so everyone knows what a vafc is in general

VAFC in general explained:
Piggyback Fuel Computer with Integrated VTEC Controller

Modifies manifold pressure signal and alters VTEC engagement point on Honda VTEC engines; Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD).

A'PEX introduces the first digital fuel computer that combines fuel computer functions with a VTEC engagement controller. The V-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments (or 100 RPM increments on the VAFC2). The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. The Fuel Adjustment function considers wide/narrow throttle and low/high camshaft settings, from which four different fuel maps are created (wide-low, wide-high, narrow-low, narrow-high). The integrated VTEC Controller adjusts the point at which the engine switches from the Lo to Hi cam during acceleration, as well as when the engine switches from the Hi to Lo cam during deceleration.

Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

mallison is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys i just got a vafc2 and a turbo kit and im about to put them on tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has a similiar setup that could send me a list of settings to start with to maybe make my life easier, i have a 02 ex mt, im of course needing to take care of the map sensor to keep it from throwing a check engine light and then of course add more fuel, any info asap would be great thanks guys
Old 02-15-2005
Registered!!

VegasJones is an unknown quantity at this point
so if the ECU resets after a while....will the settings in the VAFC reset? or does the ECU reset and the VAFC keeps the same settings but they have no effect on the ECU? just wondering in case this happens in the future.....
Old 02-15-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The vafcii will stay the same. They're just talking about the ecu adjusting itself to slowly go back to stock a/f ratio. I'm not so sure this will even happen due to the vafcii being wired AFTER the ecu signal. So the ecu is gonna have a hard time adjusting something if the vafcII makes the final choice.
Old 02-15-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
i got some noob questions...
1. is getting vafc/2 useful on a non turbo car? like just a car with bolt-on and stuff?
2. can you still use the vafc/2 after you do a swap for let's say k20 or k24? and would it be useful?

TIA
Old 02-15-2005
Premium Member

I gained 2whp after dyno tune with vafcII, ported head, plugs, HVS, and header. I have an auto tho, others with manual have gotten up to 10whp tuning the wide hi throttle settings.
Old 02-19-2005
Registered!!

I need to reset my safc. How do i do this?
Old 02-19-2005
Premium Member

There is a place in etc menu I think that says initialize or something.
Old 02-19-2005
Registered!!

i dont have my instructions, i accidently locked them up in storage and i cant get to them rite now
Old 02-19-2005
Premium Member

I'll check mine in the car and let you know..I think the menus are the same but not sure.
Old 02-20-2005
Registered!!

Ok i was able to reset my safc.

Here is the next problem i am running into. When i am on HI throttle the car cuts out in the 3g and 5g rpm range. At first i thought it was because my safc was misconfigured. So today when i reset it and put the settings back. Then i made several pulls and the a/f gauge indicated that it was running rich and the car was performing normaly.

Then i drove round to a couple of places ie target, and went to get something to eat. On the way back home I stepped on it just to see that every thing was still ok. Well it wasnt, after resetting the safc, the problem still presist.

Has anyone else came across this problem? Really its kinda weird. For example, even tho the setting shows HI35% for 4600 rpm or 3200, its spiradic but it will cut out, or die out for a second, or the engine wont get any fuel or it will run lean. Let just say it cuts out for a second, then it starts working normaly through the rest of the rpm range while on high throttle. This ONLY happens on HI, i really cant detect this happening on low throttle.

This is really getting frustrating. Help needed.

Last edited by SODJAZERO; 02-21-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-21-2005
Premium Member

I've heard the best throttle position for our cars is 25% narrow 80% wide.

I have a question. What happens when you reset the ecu? Is it a good idea to reset the vafc as well and wait for the ecu to adjust before putting the vafc settings back in? Or does it even matter?
Old 02-22-2005

wait for the ecu to adjust to your car settings first before changing any settings would be prefered
Old 02-23-2005
Registered!!

Ive tryed both methods, resetting the ecu and ive also reset the safc, but problem still presist.
Old 03-06-2005
Banned

parditty has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thanxs For All The Help ;)

I just wanted to say to the 6 people I Instant Messaged over the week, THANK YOU!. I just installed my VAFC-II this morning. It's running good right now, I love to see the RED light come-on.. sikes me out..

The only thing is when I first got it installed I did the initial setup. But never setup when vtec should kick in just so I could drive it around to play with the monitor functions. And sure enough that ORANGE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON! I think im gonna take off my negative battery cable tommorow and see if that fixes the check engine problem,.. We'll see though any suggestions?

thanxs again!
steve (AIM: snoughboarder)
Old 03-06-2005
Premium Member

Well if you have all the wires hooked up, the cel shouldn't come on at all. I have the vtec set to stock which is all stars ****. If you follow everything in the first post you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

im getting this code, any ideas?

P1298 Electrical Load Detector Circuit High Input
Old 03-06-2005
Premium Member

Well the ELD senses electrical load on the alternator and turns it off when not needed. There must be something drawing constant current and preventing the ELD from shutting off the alternator like it should. Either you wired something from a fuse that you shouldn't have, or a fuse is blown. Or something else.
Old 03-06-2005

u might also have wired the vtec or fuel wires wrong.. which is sending a voltage to something its not suppsed to
Old 03-06-2005
Banned

I got another Q guys.... For some reason It only does this every once in a while, while im driving, It wont let me go over 4000 rpm's and when i do it putters like it's not getting the fuel or somthing.. any help would greatly be appreciated it
Old 03-06-2005
Premium Member

Well it does that when the check engine light comes on. So something wasn't wired up properly. See the first post for details.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
I had it once before, fuel cut off at 4000, but no CEL, after I went through a puddal. Well, never happened again since then.
Old 03-07-2005
Banned

GEARBOX & XPRODUCTIONZ..

I was looking at my installation and there are two wires left over there is a light blue wire and a blue wire. I was reading in step 4 of your install that the blue wire is supposed to go to the blue wire with a black strip on it? I don't see that wire anywhere on my ecu harness... any help?

AIM: snoughboarder
Old 03-07-2005
Banned

ya know what never mind, I was looking back at the first forum and saw the ecu diagram.. I 'll try that when I get home tonight.. thnxs
Old 03-07-2005
Registered!!

The safc is no longer in my car and its still coming up with p1298. Ive reset the ecu several times

Quick Reply: VAFC II Full Installation Info