VAFC II Full Installation Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exit91Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
but what i'm saying is i can notice more now than before when i had it set to factory settings. Plus i don't think i have the same setup as the majority of people on here... not that i'm saying i better in anyway. i just notice a lot of people have the same thing, if they have anything done to their engine at all. anyway, i really need to hit up a dyno so i can see what's going on at the wheels. Back in Feb. when i had just the CAI and the flowmaster muffler i had 117.8 at the wheels. after everything i've done i really am interested in seeing if i'm up at 127 or 128 whp. what do you guys think after looking at my mods.
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

the vtec engagement point was set to passive mode, which to my knowledge is when the ecu senses the correct oil pressure it engages the vtec. I don't think that i lost any low end power at all actually. I've been able to race an integra with a CAI and exhaust and keep up even with him. ...i don't know .... input?
Old 10-06-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
Originally Posted by Exit91Civic
but what i'm saying is i can notice more now than before when i had it set to factory settings. Plus i don't think i have the same setup as the majority of people on here... not that i'm saying i better in anyway. i just notice a lot of people have the same thing, if they have anything done to their engine at all. anyway, i really need to hit up a dyno so i can see what's going on at the wheels. Back in Feb. when i had just the CAI and the flowmaster muffler i had 117.8 at the wheels. after everything i've done i really am interested in seeing if i'm up at 127 or 128 whp. what do you guys think after looking at my mods.
well first of all what list of mods do you have?? second of all if you have had a bunch of bolt-ons then my friend we are very similar and so are many others in here... even myself have tried to go NA but with no such luck... i even did a head swap to add vtec... but my setup was better suited for turbo... because the d17 bottom end has longer gears which make it better for turbo
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

my mods are in my profile. now the one thing that am questioning someone else is if i put an STR Fuel Rail in and the RSX 320cc injectors in if it would make any difference without being boosted. i'm not looking to get into a fight....just looking for input. you do have to agree though 9 times out of 10 there are more people that when you look at their profile for mods they only have show... and 'no go'.
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
Post your setting......
I went to dyno, set vtec engagement at 4k, then the dyno curve run FLAT(zero hp rise) from 3000 to 4000.
If you can make 117.8(I can only make 122.1 when I remove PS with 2 deg retard), then post your settings.....It'll be nice to try it
Old 10-07-2004
Registered!!

well i'll have to go and look at the settings and write them down for yah. I actually got them off here (but i couldn't tell you where). I have my dyno sheet posted in my 'gallery' if you'd like to see it. Like I said that was when I had a CAI and Flowmaster Muffler, NOTHING else. I expect the header and downpipe to give me more top end, which is where my peak WHP was anyway. I have to call them to make an appointment to get dyno'd again, especially now that I have the VAFC.

Anyway, I'm going to hook up the TDC wire soon and see if there is a difference or if it ruins my performance. I doubt it will ruin it, but you never know!
Old 10-08-2004
Broken Arm, How Am I Suppost To Shift
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted
i heard on the forum some were that when you connect the T.D.C wire the engine starts to act funny.. never did it myself. I have the VafcII kick my vtec in around 4.5K and its cherping 3rd. only mods i have on my are ; are injen short ram, d.c sport headers. and the apexi. but for some reason its stronger than most Ex's i've raced that were moded out and i've taken 3 SI's (trust me i have 12 whitnesses) even my buddie who sold me the apexi said my engine is louder and more torqueyer than his 03 was.and i dont even have a full exahust on it ..im putting it on a dyno next week..so i guess well see whats goin on
Old 10-08-2004
Registered!!

well i'll have to go and look at the settings and write them down for yah. I actually got them off here (but i couldn't tell you where). I have my dyno sheet posted in my 'gallery' if you'd like to see it. Like I said that was when I had a CAI and Flowmaster Muffler, NOTHING else. I expect the header and downpipe to give me more top end, which is where my peak WHP was anyway. I have to call them to make an appointment to get dyno'd again, especially now that I have the VAFC.

Anyway, I'm going to hook up the TDC wire soon and see if there is a difference or if it ruins my performance. I doubt it will ruin it, but you never know!
Your dyno sheet looks nice, but what happens to the dip? It looks like it's being made up, not looking like a Civic......
Old 10-08-2004
Registered!!

And what happens is the 3 runs? What did they do at each run? There must be something there....
Old 10-08-2004
Registered!!

Here's my dnyo without power steering, with DC header, AEM Cam spocket (+2), Injen CAI, and pulleys....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	扫描.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	40531  
Old 10-08-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Those numbers seem kinda low. Normally I would say the intake caused the dip, but injen cai actually makes more torque in that range. Looks like it needs tuning.
Old 10-09-2004
Registered!!

That is my Civic's Dyno, and it's not made up at all. I have a good 15 people that can prove that. They'd all be bustin my *** about it too, because I went with a buddy of mine who went with a group of people who all had GTI's (1.8T). I honestly couldn't tell you what happened when the dip occurred. Like I said it only had the Injen CAI and the Flowmaster Exhaust. I have to call and make another appointment, I need to prove some more people wrong soon. ;-)
Old 10-17-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I can't strees enough how important it is to get this dyno tuned. Guessing numbers is not the way to go. Some people have ended up subtracting fuel, while others (like me) have had to add more to reach the ideal a/f ratio. If you're running too rich or too lean, you won't be making the most power, and rpms won't be smooth. There really is a noticable difference once it's tuned properly.
Old 10-17-2004

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
gotta agree... like me for example... mine is -37 almost all the way across the board..

oh... did i forget to mention its because im using rsx injectors??
Old 10-17-2004
Premium Member

Haha nice. Do those feel any better than stock? What is your correction factor when driving (%?)
Old 10-17-2004

its -37 on both narrow and wideband all the way.. until it hits around 4500rpm with vtec.. then it goes to -34 cause it runs hella lean if i leave it -37 all the way across... then around 6000rom it goes to -33 again cause itstarts to run lean around there
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

03civda is an unknown quantity at this point
so, i'm confused. hook up the TDC wire or not. if you get more power without it hooked up, wouldn't that be the best scenario?
Old 10-17-2004
Premium Member

I don't think it matters. Mine was hooked up when they tuned it. I doubt it would affect anything, as the only goal is to get the a/f ratio flat around 14:1

I don't think the tdc has anything to do with adding more fuel. Maybe with vtec engagement, but you shouldn't change that anyway.
Old 10-18-2004

lol. that why its called the real complete fix.. all wires are connected except one..
Old 10-18-2004
Registered!!

03civda is an unknown quantity at this point
i just got off the phone with APEXi and the guy told me not to hook up the TDC or the VTC wires. He said those are only for the K series motors. He also said that if I installed it, it would set off my check engine light, is this true?
Old 10-18-2004

dont think so.. look at gearbox and me..we both did it and its fine no CEL.. we never hooked up the vtc wires anyway cause there is no wire to hook it up too... all the TDC wire does is tell the vafc2 when it hits TDC.... no biggie..just means one less wire to install.... i also called apexi before buying the vafc2 and they told me that it wasnt made for our U.S. D17 cars and isnt hasnt been officially meant to be installed on our cars... he also said thats why our chassis code isnt in the manual... but if you look at how many people is installing it then u know it works...i also called apexi to see if i can just use it as a stand alone vtec engagment cause i did a head swap so i needed something to engage the vtec... and there response was it wont function unless u have a signal being sent to the ecu to the vafc to engage it... boy did i prove them wrong...
Old 10-18-2004
Premium Member

Apexi doesn't know anything about our cars because technically they don't support it. So it's up to us to figure it out...just like the e-manage. I have everything installed like it says in this thread and it works great. I got it tuned and everything. Car feels nice, and there's no cel or bad things happening.
Old 10-23-2004
Premium Member

A few weeks after tuning on the dyno, the car is starting to feel like it did before. I can't notice a difference anymore, and the rpms aren't as smooth as they were a few days after tuning.
Old 10-25-2004
Registered!!

03CivicEX03 should not be trusted03CivicEX03 should not be trusted
^^ possiable be the afc going back to stock?
Old 11-02-2004
Broken Arm, How Am I Suppost To Shift

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted
SOmeone posted that the ecu will reset itself or some shi$w like that try disconnecting the battery to reset the e.c.u
Old 11-02-2004
Premium Member

I should be getting another dynotune next year, so I'll let you guys know if anything changed.
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

Talking

I have my VTEC engagement set at 3000/2800, there I feel the car runs a lot smoother, and really picks up right after 3000...At 3500 there is a dip on the cam change-over and I feel a complete null right after VTEC engages .

If my design analysis is done right, then I would say no matter what, rasing the VTEC engagement point too much will cause loss of mid-range power. So, keep it low, and make sure that you don't actually feel too much difference, as too much difference means that it runs under-powered and suddenly jump to wherever it should be.

Anyway, the temperature here now is getting cool, now 58 deg at 6pm, should be some nice day to run(also, ruin) the car ...

Last edited by 82801BA; 11-02-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

mystery is an unknown quantity at this point
the instructions on the VAFC2 showed that the VTC and VTM were not on the ECU diagram... i see thats it up on top so do you think i would need to wire those up or just leave it.?
Old 11-06-2004
Premium Member

Just do whatever this thread says at the beginning. The apexi instructions are wrong, and not installing properly will trigger a check engine light.
Old 11-07-2004

like gearbox said.. read the beginning of the thread.. i too came across the same situation a while ago which is the reason why i created this thread to help other people out..

Quick Reply: VAFC II Full Installation Info