DIY: Head unit install (version 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
I agree silver !!

I did my install with alot of information from this site. It's proven a very valuable resource and one of the huge benefits the Internet offers.
Old 04-06-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
glad you guys like it!
Old 04-17-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
somebody should post pics on how to get the console apart with a manual
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

Plushhaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know if I can hook my xm up to the Tape/Aux button on the stock cd player? I'm gonna try it anyway tomorrow. Also it seems people would like pics of taking a coupe apart, I have an 03, I'll try to remember to take pics of it...
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
Honda is making it harder to replace factory radios and speakers, don't u think?
Old 05-04-2005
Banned

it gets harder to make a car that looks clean... in my old car there were exposed screws under the dash and everywhere.. you don't see anytihng exposed in our civics... its more about aesthetics than ease of taking **** apart. The cars are probably engineered for the Honda tech to R&I not the average DIY'er, not that is terribly hard anway
Old 05-06-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
the metra 99-7897 doesn't sit flush with my alpine deck. do you have any other suggestions other than that hideous thing on crutchfield? this

i might have to buy that one, actually, cause it seems that it fits alpine headunits better
Old 05-06-2005
Hey, I know Drew22Mader, the man with the sickest whip

Gixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to allGixxer is a name known to all
I have the one on from Crutchfield. I hate that thing. It doesn't fit right. Good thing I'm putting my monitor in this weekend so I don't have to look at it anymore...lol
Old 05-06-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
never mind. i got it to look somewhat flush.
Old 05-06-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Here is an easier way, U know where the pocket is under the radio? stick both of your hands in there and pull like hell. The whole piece containg the radio, temp contols, etc will come out as a whole piece :-) and it doenst break any clips or anything. It's really hard at first buy once you devirginize it, it will come off easier. ( it did this when running the power wire from my sirius to the radio)
Old 05-06-2005
Banned

but you also gotta take the 2 bolts out from below the HU
Old 04-02-2011
Registered!!

DulacLancelolt is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic Hybrid

Hello. I'm sure I'm not the first one ever to try and replace the radio in my 2003 Civic Hybrid, but I have not been able to figure it out for about a week, so I hope this is the right place and it is ok to post here.

First, since a picutre is worth a thousand words, let me post the photo of what my center panel looks like:

I have found several close-but-not-quite solutions on the internet. I believe a big part of my trouble is that what you see above, the 2003 Civic Hybird, is enough different from what I see on the internet about the 2003 Civic Non-Hybrid that I'm not comfortable pursuing the non-hybrid procedures.

Here are some of my misgivings:
1) There is no separate bezel piece around the shifter. One method I saw on youtube started with removing that bezel, so I wasn't comfortable trying that one.

2) Another method is just pulling out that whole panel that the cigarette lighter is in. The picutres/videos I've seen of this method are all done on cars where there is a pocket under the lighter. Not only does that make it easier to remove, the fact that my car does not have that pocket worries me that it is enough different that mine might not actually be only secured by clips and that I might break it should I force it. This panel on my car actually reaches futher back on the right and left than the panels I've seen popped off.

3) There is a method where you take a large center piece out, a piece that goes back even behind the parking brake. Maybe this is the way to go? However, I still haven't tried it because the pieces don't match up enough to give me confidence to do it.

4) I haven't found actual pictures of this being done, but I read and it seems like removing some screws in the glove box area and/or the steering column area might help in removing a good part of the dashboard, which might help.

Any suggestions?
Anybody recognize the above center panel as identical to some model other than the 2003 Civic Hybrid?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-02-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Head unit install (version 2)

pull out the 12v socket trim panel, then remove two screws holding the radio bracket. pull out the whole center piece with radio and climate controls. you can stick your fingers in the ac vents to make it easier. thats it.
Old 04-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks pretty much exactly the same as the EX versions
Old 04-02-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Looks pretty much exactly the same as the EX versions
oh ok. everything i found online looked like this instead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kDQGCizvQ4

but yeah, you're right, although the cigarette lighter panel below looked a bit different, it was exactly the same procedure.

and thank you so much for your quick response, gearbox. your super moderator status among other stats gave me the confidence to really get into the cracks with a butter knife and pry that cigarette panel out. yeah, i was trying plastic tools before but it seemed that sometimes being able to slide in the thinner implement into the crack was actually the less damaging move.
Old 04-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad we could help you, make sure you post the results of your headunit install
There is a thread for it on this forum.

It should have gone flawlessly, as long as you remember to plug in your hazards lights, and those two bolts.

If you're having trouble with your blinkers, then you forgot to plug in your hazard light.
And make sure you do the connections properly with butt connectors, or solder
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Glad we could help you, make sure you post the results of your headunit install
There is a thread for it on this forum.
oh yes, it went perfectly!
ok, i could describe the results, it's the least i can do in return for your help... are you implying this is not the thread to do that in?
i looked around a little, and i'm not sure that i found the thread you are referring to...
Old 04-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Please take a picture of your headunit and share with us on this thread!
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...head-unit.html
Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

GurlCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish I felt comfortable enough to work on mine myself.
Old 05-25-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

worst case is you break a plastic piece and have to order it. our parts are not too expensive and are easy to get.
Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

metalshredder is an unknown quantity at this point

I see this post is about 7 years old but, it's still showing up in the DIY section, so I'll say that...ALL of the pictures are broken. Not a single one shows up.
Old 06-11-2011
Registered!!

2005CSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't get the head unit out --

2005 civic coupe SE, left it for a month, then radio wouldn't turn on, tried all the resets (disconnect battery, drive on highway 45 mins ...) with no result.

I followed the DIY down to step 8, but now can't get the damn thing out.

Any suggestions? Is the SE different? is there another screw somewhere?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You did remove the 2 screws behind the acc socket ??

Those pods are very tight if they have never been out.
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

2005CSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
You did remove the 2 screws behind the acc socket ??

Those pods are very tight if they have never been out.
If the two screws you mean are the center and right screws on the underside of the metal bar just below the head unit, yep, I got those.

Is there a good place to get leverage or to pry it out? so far I'm only able toget my fingers behind the unit which aren't enough to force it out.

thx
Old 06-12-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Those are the screws.

I had to reach up in and push out from behind, try to get a small section started and try to work your fingers in.
Old 07-10-2011
Registered!!

cbsides is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by metalshredder
I see this post is about 7 years old but, it's still showing up in the DIY section, so I'll say that...ALL of the pictures are broken. Not a single one shows up.
Yes, I agree 100% that if it's maintained as a DIY at least that critical piece should be there. If anyone happens to have these pics archived somewhere and could re-upload them that would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks for the guide. I'm sorry I waited 6 years to do this
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

ardsdap is an unknown quantity at this point

http://web.archive.org/web/200809100...rsion-2-a.html
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

baffa75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Civic Peeps!!....

As for i am a nOOb to the forum...but not to civic...none the less HONDA!!....my first civic was a 94 ex coupe....very clean and nice....will post some pics later on...once i get a hand on this forum....but my next civic..is planned to be a 03 ex/lx sedan...my wonder is if one can fit a double-din unit into these EM2's??....if so.....DETAILS!!!!....PLEASE.....really want to fit the AVIC from PIONEER that i have on hand!!......thanks i really appreciate any details for this!!....
Old 09-14-2012
Registered!!

Rickmasta is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible to buy an entire new head unit with an aftermarket stereo? Or do I have to just install a radio to the head-unit?
Old 02-01-2013
Just looking to save some MPG!

PhillyTurboSix is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: DIY: Head unit install (version 2)

Good thread! I'll be doing this project shortly. Thanks for the web archive link! That saved me from breaking some $hit! I need to replace my plastic around my shift bezel as well due to whatever the last owner did to it. I'm happy to see I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone now!

I'll post up some pics as I go along. I had to run outside and see how hard it was to pop that plate off now that I know what I'm attacking thanks to this thread!

Comes off with ease when you work it from the top...

Here is how the underside of it looks...

OK that's all for now till the weather warms up a little bit here and I can tackle this project all in one day!

Does anyone know a good place to go to for harness adapters? I have an older Alpine head unit (CDA-9831) that I'd like to plug and play with my 05 Civic. There use to be a car stereo place near me that sold all these adapters to go from the radio to whatever car you had rather then playing the crimp, solder, and heat shrink game. Anyone know of a site that does this? Just to make things move along faster for the install.

Quick Reply: DIY: Head unit install (version 2)