Advice If you something on your mind and feel like asking for the advice of the other members, the Advice sub forum is the place to be.

what am i doing wrong as an employer?...

Old 06-04-2005
that little dude
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
what am i doing wrong as an employer?...

well, i'm not really the employer, my dad is, but...here is the situation.

my parents own a small hotel (60 rooms, all indoors, some suites, blah blah).

i do as much as i can, and one thing i do is train new employees because my parents dont speak english all that well, so its easier for me to communicate with the employees.

for our front desk receptionists, we start pay at 6.50 an hour for the 7am-3pm shift and the 3pm-11pm shift, and 7.00 an hour for the 11pm-7am shift. in my opinion, its reasonable, its an easy job.

we tend to hire college students because most of the job is just sitting around, certain nights there is really nothiing going on, and college students normally have reading and homework/papers that they can work on, we encourage that (they can use our computers if they wish).

i put a listing on websites of a couple local colleges, got 30 replies by phone for the job. when asked to come in, from the 30, only 6 came in. i needed 4 employees total, covering most shifts, full and part time. all 6 that came in were great, i couldnt hire all 6, so i took the first 4 apps that came in since they were all equal in my book.

afer ONE DAY of training, i lost 2 of them. no call or anything, they just didnt show on the second day. after the second day of training, i lost another employee. and that last employee, when asked to come in to do a full shift by herself, she didnt show.

i called the other 2 people that turned in applications, they both wanted the job, great. one of them is a no show from the beginning, didnt even show on the first day. and after the first day, the other person was gone to.

i really think i am cursed or something. i feel bad because i am making my parents (mainly my dad) pick up extra shifts. i help out as much as i can, but really, its a lot of work for 2 people to do.

the job, like i said, was easy. the program we use to check people in and make reservations couldnt be easier to use. i try to make the training fun, i make jokes and talk with them on a level they can relate to (they are my age, so i talk about school and stuff, gets them interested). i order pizza so that they have something to eat during the training. even after they are done training, i usually dont get upset when mistakes are made, i understand that mistakes can be made. but really 6 employees in 2 weeks, i have to be doing something wrong.

i dont think its advice i am looking for, its more of a rant, i dunno, maybe someone can relate to this.
Old 06-04-2005
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about
well, it might not be you... the job may not be what they wanted, and I dunno those would-be employees, but the fact that they didn't even both to tell you they weren't interested anymore makes me wonder about their professionalism. Good luck though (i can only imagine it's hard to find good help in that type of situation)
Old 06-05-2005
that little dude

i guess its just hard for me to think that 6 people didnt want the job, and that all 6 didnt bother to tell me that they werent interested.

i think i will be putting an ad in the local paper, though that never seems to work. people that have nothing to do (like homework) dont like the job, other than sitting around watching TV, there isnt much to do at times.
Old 06-05-2005
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
o come on a job where you just sit there i would so take that job in a heart beat if i was allowed
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

ZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to behold
Don't take it personally.... that's just the way some people are.

Here's one thing you can do: stop hiring college kids. They are irresponsible. There are plenty other people that wouldn't mind a kick back job like that.

You *CAN* hire them, but don't put all your hopes in them.....
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

MoniraInc is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm currently taking a class on leadership/management and you should check out the book that we're assigned: The Leadership Challenge by Kouzes & Posner . It totally opened my eyes on how to manage people.

Here are a couple other places i'd try and find people at:

- Temp agencies.
- Talk to professors at the universities and find people interested in getting jobs.

I'd also call up past employees and ask them the real reasons on why they left.

gl, business is a hard game but the payoffs are worth it.
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

beegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura about
It is probably the pay. It's pretty hard to find someone for that amount and expect them to be responsible, smart, dedicated etc. Maybe shoot for some retiree's. It would be extra income to them, and if it's not too hard then it might work.
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
um 6.50 an hour is a disrespectful pitiful sum of money to pay a college student. im guessing you didnt tell them it pays 6.50 an hour before hand?

um yea the 15 year olds at the theatre get paid 6.50 an hour, and minimum wage where im from 7.15 an hour, and where i am now (arizona) its like 5.50 but unless you dont have a legal right to work in this country its pretty ****in hard to get paid under 7 bucks an hour.

but ya you need to pay more, i mean it costs more but god damn give your employess some reason to show up at work and not to dip out so you dont have to worry about covering the shift...

lol just my .02
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

civic2nr819 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not trying to dog ya but it must be the money. I am guessing that most people take the job then someone else calls them(if they responded to you they probably called other people,you are in competition with other employers)offers more money and they go. I have had a few of those easy (part time) jobs and it honestly drives me crazy.I know its an easy job but I wouldn't even think about taking a part time job for less than $10/hour,and even then pi$$ me off and I am gone.At this time of year landscapers are paying $15-$20 you might work harder but its nice to work less hours and have more money.Like I said I am not trying to dog you out , just showing the other perspective.
Old 06-05-2005
that little dude

i understand the pay isnt the best, but i dont ask them to do much, i mean, i have seen people working harder at fast food places.
i have asked around other hotels and they start pay the same, 6.50/7.00.
how much should a job like this pay?
most of these students put $6.00+ on the app for pay, or negotiable. they knew first day what the pay was (those that showed up).
i can probably bump up pay a $1, but really, this isnt a $10 an hour, i cant pay that much.
Old 06-05-2005
I dont know what im talking about

Supermanrider is an unknown quantity at this point
try hiring some one else besides college students they might have to much goin on to where they cant juggle work and school
Old 06-05-2005
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
Dude, 6.50 an hour? are you serious? even if the job is mundane and stuff, I find that the hourly rate you're offering is really demeaning. You're more likely to hire people that will be resentful and steal from you on that wage.

Why don't you up the scope of responsibility of the job and offer $10 and hour? by doing that, you would attract people with more experience and more professional people.
Old 06-05-2005
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
some of y'all have no concept of pay. $10/hour to work in a hotel? gimmie a fvcking break. $6.50 is more than reasonable. Minimum wage is $5.15 as instituted by the FEDERAL government. That's what they say you need to live on. Not every town has super-high cost of living expenses, even in NYC a starting job might pay $6/hr. Some of you are obviously spoiled and want too much. I hear it all too often down here where I am. People want jobs, but aren't willing to take what employers can offer as far as pay. Makes no sense. I've worked since I was 16, many jobs paying minimum wage or little more. I survived. Had I been making $10/hr I would probably have a damn turbo. But more importantly, I had food on my plate.

As far as your problem slick, I used to work for a hotel. I hate to say it, but from what you said I can only guess that your parents are 1st or second generation imigrants. Many people have a problem working for people from a different culture, so that could be part of it. Culture clashes, and the fact that the hotel business is a 24/7 business will frighten some away. It's hard to get good help out of college kids, I hate to say it but many times high schoolers have a much better work ethic. You might also want to slow down the training. I knwo you need to get them in the door quick and working asap but slow it down, give them a chance to grasp it before throwing too much at them. even though the computer system is simple, it will still take some tiem to learn.
Old 06-05-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
why would you pay someone 10/hr to do practially nothing. If you want to make real money, go get a real job. and 6.50 for a college student is pretty good. I have lots of friends who make that while they are in school and its just fine for them. You dont need to make a lot to get your beer money for the weekend.

and a job that basically pays you to do your homework? cant pass that up. I bust my *** for 8.60/hr and im perfectly happy with it.

you also have to consider local economies. If the local economy is bad, then the pay is gonna be bad. its simple economics.
Old 06-05-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
wtf. some of u guys probley never work b4 (10.00 per hour). $6.50-7.00 for a starting out job, plus get to sit back, web, and doing h.w., what else can you ask for. Tell what kinda job that pay you $10 will let you do that.
Old 06-05-2005
I love to suck t3h c0ck & am supr ghey

i8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nice
my guess as to why they left is your breath stinks, unibrow, blah blah...
Old 06-05-2005
that little dude

Originally Posted by i8dabomb
my guess as to why they left is your breath stinks, unibrow, blah blah...
i usually brush my teeth, and i shave my brow often. maybe i forgot on those days, lol.

you guys gotta remember that i live in oklahoma, rent is low here, homes are cheap, cost of living isnt much.

i will have to try putting an ad in the local paper, see what i get. but because the job doesnt entail much, people that have nothing to do usually dont stick around.
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

MassMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
Even $10/ hr is a pittance. I was making that in 97.
Old 06-05-2005
that little dude

question, those of you that are/were making $10+ an hour, what job was it? where did you live? how long did you work there?
Old 06-05-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I'd probably talk to your parents about raising it a buck an hour or more... hopefully, someone will stick around.
Old 06-05-2005
that little dude

well, $7.50/$8.00 is okay, but thats about max limit right there. cant afford to have $10 employees for this job, at that rate, i'd rather do all the work.
Old 06-05-2005
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
for a hotel job I wouldn't pay more than $7.00/hr.

it's just not worth it
Old 06-05-2005
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I think it would be reasonable to pay $7/hr during the day and a dollar more for the night shift. People tend to be scared of night shifts where anybody can walk in. What is the area you're in like?

Put the ad in the paper. You luck should turn around soon, because there doesn't seem to be any serious reason to keep someone from showing up.
Old 06-05-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by white2K2EX
I think it would be reasonable to pay $7/hr during the day and a dollar more for the night shift. People tend to be scared of night shifts where anybody can walk in. What is the area you're in like?

Put the ad in the paper. You luck should turn around soon, because there doesn't seem to be any serious reason to keep someone from showing up.
yeah i wouldnt work nights at a hotel. a girl around here got killed doin that. Dude just walked in and shot her. dont even think he robbed her or anything.
Old 06-05-2005
Ricerus Maximus

the hotel I worked at had bullet/pukeproof glass

that's one way to help with that problem, just have a service window for after 11 or something
Old 06-05-2005
that little dude

we have a service windows after 11pm, bulletproof glass. the front doors are also bulletproof (the inner set of doors, not the outer).
have been open for 7 1/2 years now, never had a problem with a robbery here. its a good area of town, not much happens here.
we also dont hire people for positions they dont want, so only people that want the night shift get the night shift. i doubt they would apply for a job they dont want.
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i didnt read everyones replies, but this is the first thing that im thinking of. i dont think its you, or the job...i think its the pay. i dont know what its like in OK, so maybe im off base here, but i was making $8+/hour while still in HS. when i came to college i was in work study, so its like i got a loan from the college and i worked it off + got paid by working on campus. my starting salary freshman year was 8.50/hr and i went up like $.25/hr every semester. so...im thinking the 6.50-7/hr range might be a bit low..especially if the applicants were from out of state and used to higher rates. btw, in HS and summers during college (up to after my jr. year) i was a head lifeguard at a local pool. at college i worked at the library.

the other problem is the schedule. 7am-3pm? and 3pm-11pm? that is a huge chunk of time. maybe they didnt read that before they came in, but thats definitely not flexible enough w/ class schedules. my classes started at 8am frosh year and ended something like at 3 or 5pm...and we had no choice over that. soph-senior year we could pick our schedules better. my schedule went from 11am/noon to 5 or something...i liked the later classes. i had like an hour or something in between some classes. so what im saying is, no matter what shift they would have gotten, it would have definitely cut into the classes/schedule they could have taken in school. and for a job where you dont really do anything or learn anything or establish contacts you can use after graduation, thats really inconvenient. they probably thought they could find something better. and since youre not affiliated w/ the college, there really is no risk of just bailing w/o telling you. no one really cares.

my suggestion is to change up your schedule. make shorter shifts, or customize them around their schedule and hire someone else not in college to cover the shifts where you cant get college kids.

edit: btw, in response to what someone said about doing nothing being an awesome job and that theyd take it in a heartbeat...have you tried it? because it really gets to you...if you are bored you REALLY dont want to come into work. morale gets really low if you are constantly bored and doing nothing. so unless youre getting somethign worthwile out of being there, people wont stick around long. trust me, a lot of my time at the pool i did nothing. just sat around talking to the gate lady checking IDs and once every 2 hours i did Ph readings. most of my work was done before or after closing. and at the library, if it was slow and i had no HW to do, it sucked! beause you dont do anything...you just sit there...it sucks. only reason i stuck around was because it was on campus, steady, i was getting work-study credit for it, and i learned how to do research and all about the sources available...which was good for when i had papers/hw to do. and the pool...well, id be stupid to turn down a summer job looking at girls in bikinis and tanning all day. lol

Last edited by pbfoot; 06-06-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2005
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
yea my suggestion for the $10 is to increase the scope of the job so the person you hire would also do bookkeeping, planning, shift scheduling and so forth.

but yea, as far as the bullet proof glass goes, that might have a detering effect on recruiting college students.
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
Alright im chime in...i worked at hotels for 2-3 yrs. i worked every shift. whether it be front desk, which i worked the majority of the time, night shift, and i worked kitchen like in the morning and setting up for the breakfast and making food and crap. i worked at marriott and another privately owned hotel. i started out at my one job making only 8.25 an hour to start. this was for front desk...your responsibilities were to run the whole hotel... whether it be reservations, man the phones, help customers, room service like pillows, check ins, check outs, and i did LAUNDRY! ALL THE LAUNDRY! ALL NIGHT!. Thats what u get paid for doing that type of work if u want an idea. This was a decent size hotel, it was 2 yrs old, had 120 rooms, price of rooms ranged from 80-140, and one person (me) ran the hotel for a period of 8 hrs. And we did not have computers to go online with or any of that, we had to spend the time doing laundry, like putting it in the washers, dryers, and folding it. maybe u can add that to the job description and pay more if u want...

my other job was working night shift at this one other hotel.... its a privately owned hotel, only 2 hotels in all in the US, but its a high class one. there was always 2 people working at a time at night and between 3-4 working the desk during the day. i did reservations, check ins, check outs, room service like pillows, etc, wake up calls and night audit stuff like checks, balances, etc and making sure everything equals out. That job made 10.25 an hour to start with a raise as time went on, only cuz night shift is a hard shift to work.... This hotel had 170 rooms, mostly suites, with rooms that ranged in price from 150 to 220 a night.

of course i did all this work while i was in hs and college. first job during my jr and sr yrs and the last job during the first yr of college. of course it keeps u busy with the stuff if u have the right amount of things for them to do and if u pay accordingly. of course u can give em like 7 or 8 but make them do like laundry or do other things u kno. i kno it sucked doing laundry but when i changed to another hotel, i loved not doing laundry. of course i made more cuz i had a few yrs of experience and i coulda made upwards of 12 or 13 if i stayed. wasn't up for the hours tho cuz it sucked.

about the people who worked there.... most of them were older, not many college students, the college students worked the 3-11 shift, most older, 40's people worked the desk during the day full time and night shift full time too. night shift is the harder to fill so thats why u make a dollar or more just to work 11-7 than 3-11. not many people wanna work all night especially for less than others who are working during the day.

of course one person can run this job, even a high school student, im a test to that, but u gotta get responsible ones, and hell for a hs student, 7 bucks an hour is quite alright, lol. i did however have another job in which i worked 2 yrs before the hotel job, which kinda gave me experience and ensured they didn't pay me a crappy 5 an hour or minimum wage...

so yea... major chains pay about 7-10 an hour depending on what u entail in it. all depends on who u hire.
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by slick
we have a service windows after 11pm, bulletproof glass. the front doors are also bulletproof (the inner set of doors, not the outer).
have been open for 7 1/2 years now, never had a problem with a robbery here. its a good area of town, not much happens here.
we also dont hire people for positions they dont want, so only people that want the night shift get the night shift. i doubt they would apply for a job they dont want.
well working night shift, we had two people, working at the first hotel i worked at, we only had one person, but we did have locked doors at night. u needed a room card to get into the hotel and there was a phone outside the front door which rang only to the front desk in order to get in and u had to be rung in by the front desk person. there was also a camera in the back room in which u can see the front door in u were doing laundry or in the back room and wanted to see who was at the door if they rang the phone to ya. also cameras at the front desk and what not, make sure u have them on re-record and what not incase anything happens...one of the hotels had cameras, but not on record, so what did that do.... cough cough, wont say which one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what am i doing wrong as an employer?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.