Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

Just had my Azenis shoehorned on

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Just had my Azenis shoehorned on

And shoehorned is the key word. I didn't reaize just how much wider they were than the Kumhos until I saw them side by side on the rim. Not only that, they are substantially heavier. Hopefully width=grip and I don't have to gripe about the added weight. Test day is next thursday.
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Didnt I tell you that they measure out to about 220? (Rather then their listed 205)

Old 04-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Ummm I measured them... they're more than 220, but that was off the rim, I'm sure the wheel rolls them up a little bit. I gotta recheck it later.
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Well that was with the 215's on a 7" wheel, the 615's may be a bit wider.

any way, the 89 si in the region has had a set for the last couple of events. Seem to be compariable to the 215's. They definitly deal with heat better, but you can still overheat them quicker then the MX. Tire PSI was definitly different though, Nylon belts in the side walls(615) Vs Steel belts in the sidewalls (215) I guess. Saved about an LB or two by ditching the steel.
Old 04-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Well I've actually got 215s... They were $25 less/tire and it just didn't make much sense to me to spend an extra $100 bucks. I'm not winning nationals.
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

^^Then Remember to pick up a Garden sprayer, you'll probably need it....
Old 04-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

I know.... I've seen em around the grid. Any idea how long I can run a road track before they get greasy enough to scare my pants off?
Old 04-27-2005
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
thats the only thing i miss about the hondas... good track tires that are cheap... try finding a good one in a 295 width...

oh yea.. 1st place in my class right now in my region
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

I could run them about 20min untill they were noticably greasy... and its not a scary thing really, you'll just notice that the car starts to push a little more before the nose grabs. They dont just let go, they just feel strange. rather then just losing traction. Its not nearly as dramatic as it sounds.
Old 04-27-2005
Se7enCyrus Racing/Motorsports

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
So what exact model of the Azenis is best? Falken Azenis RT-615, Sport, or ST115. For sport i dont even think they have one for 15". For the RT they have 205/50R-15 89W XL B, and for ST115 I cant find any for 15"
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by SevenCyrus
So what exact model of the Azenis is best? Falken Azenis RT-615, Sport, or ST115. For sport i dont even think they have one for 15". For the RT they have 205/50R-15 89W XL B, and for ST115 I cant find any for 15"

Well.. THe RT's are the sports... Full name = Falken Azenis RT-215 Sport (for the now discontinued tire) and Falken Azenis RT-615 Sport (For the RT-215's Replacement.)

THe RT-215 Looks like this

The New RT-615 Looks like this

The RT's will have better dry grip then the ST's.

The ST's of the Azenis are just performance street tires.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

Vantage should not be trusted
ya, azenis tires are super heavy, i rocked a set of 205's on 15x7's for drag use, and my god... the kosei's i used are around 12 lbs, but those damn tires are so heavy that it didnt make much difference how light my wheels were. Super sexy tires tho, and ya,the old falkens were super wide at 205's, my new 205 dunlops are noticably narrower.
Old 04-27-2005

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
So what do you guys use for autox?
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

Depends on what class.

For STS, you pretty much have 2 popular tires, the Falken Azenis RT (215 or 615) and the Kumho MX. I'm probably going to pick up another set of the 215's while they last, simply because they are cheep right now. but in the future i'll be running the 615's.

for the other classes... Kumho V710, Victoracer, V700, or Hoosier A3S04 or the new A3S05
Old 04-27-2005
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
You guys ever use the Ziex 512s? I'm using them on my WRX right now on the stock 16" wheels (thats changing soon) .. im using 225/50/16 and to tell you the truth, i know they're budget tires, but they perform DAMN well.. better than the AVS ES100s i came off of. They emit a low pitch deep and loud squeal as I round the turns (touge).. they communicate well, and are very easy to modulate..
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

I have autocrossed on the 512's... and you'll drop atleast a second and a half off your times by going to the Azenis.... The 512's are good tires for Allseason performance tires, but they arnt race tires.
Old 04-27-2005

And the Falken Azenis RT (215 or 615), only come in 205 for 15"? But the 215and615 model are actually bigger then they say?
Old 04-27-2005
Autocross Junky

They are sold as 205's but the acutal useable crosssection is more around the 220+ range when mounted on a 7" wheel. its slightly narower on a 6.5"
Old 04-28-2005
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
Yeah ill try Azenis sport. i know theyre great, but I also hear that once their traction limit is reached, and surpassed, that they lose grip and its like being on ice.. does that sound familiar?
Old 04-28-2005
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Well azenis dont screach that much. When you start loosing grip it just slides a lil with no screaching sound
Old 04-28-2005
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by MangoEX
Yeah ill try Azenis sport. i know theyre great, but I also hear that once their traction limit is reached, and surpassed, that they lose grip and its like being on ice.. does that sound familiar?

Nope, they let go smoothly and controlablly. if some one said they feel like ice when they let go... they probably found a patch of dirt on the road.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

Pete W. is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't mean to thread jack but what tire presure do you guys run with the RT-215's
Old 05-02-2005
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by Pete W.
Don't mean to thread jack but what tire presure do you guys run with the RT-215's
Right now... 37 Front, 32-33 rear. before I added in more negitive camber on the nose I ran around 44 Front.
Old 05-02-2005
Registered!!

Pete W. is an unknown quantity at this point
How much Negitive camber where you running and How much do you run now?
Old 05-02-2005
Autocross Junky

I'm a little over a deg now, before I was what ever stock could give me... so -.5?
Old 05-29-2005
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Are the 615's any better at resisting hydroplaning? I only run one set of wheels and my mx's can get a little scary in the rain at highway speeds. Thinking of switching to the s03 for this reason.
Old 06-26-2005
AKA Mr. 60ft. Not to be confused with Civic_Redline

Redline04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Chiming in a bit late, but I normally don't come in here. I've been running 195/60/14 RT615's on stock steelies on the street for a few weeks now. I love them. They grip like crazy. Especially on the launch. I launch at 4k and they just stick. They didn't perform that well at the 1/4 track like I was hoping but looking back on it I think it was because I had to drive through the water pit. Wet Azenis= no good.
In the turns they are better than my nittos which were a 40 profile. I did break them lose around one turn, but it was my falt because I tapped the brakes like a dumbass and got to drift my car for the first time. I haven't really drove in the rain yet, when I do I will kick it into granny mode for sure. FYI they weigh 18lbs.
So I am gonna stick to the azenis for the street and swap the BFG drag radials for the track. I would def recommend these tires to anyone looking for some serious grip whether racing or just spirited driving.
Old 07-10-2005
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
wheres the cheapest place to get azenis? preferably the 615
Old 07-11-2005
Autocross Junky

Sadly it seems that Azenis and Cheep no longer go together....
Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road

Quick Reply: Just had my Azenis shoehorned on