Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004
Zoom zoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Mitsu voiding warranties for all SCCA events

I got this off solo2.org.
http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4176

I've known about Mitsubishi doing this kind of stuff at drag strips & road courses for awhile now, but this is rediculous. They are now doing random web searches on all the pre-registered SCCA events. Damn greedy bastards
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's cause they know the cars will break easily and everyone's gonna pile back in for warranty work.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
hahahahahahhaah

ANYWAY,

I just read in the "Motor Trend" magazine that Chyrsler is closing the tap for mitsubishi..

know what it means?
Old 06-08-2004
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
This doesn't surprise me at all. They don't want people going out and abusing the hell out of their cars (as in SCCA or road races) and then break a part from abnormal driving and try to get it covered under warranty. I don't think it's actually a bad idea for the companies to do this. If you're going to push your car harder than it was intended to be, then I say that you should pay up for any work done.
Old 06-08-2004
Banned

acjones20 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that it is a product of the companies pushing engines too hard from the factory. 10 years ago, people would have been appalled at a company releasing a vehicle (evo8) that is pushing almost 20psi from the factory. That (if you ask me) is a little high. They make awesome numbers, but other car makers dont do this, I like a little margin for error (you dont see toyota coming out w/ 500HP stock supras, nissan w. 500HP skylines, or dodge w/ cummins diesels pushing 1000lb*ft of torque. Even though you can accomplish the above easily in the aftermarket, the companies give you a little headroom from the factory)
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Those newer, faster cars should be able to handle being pushed hard. Otherwise why would someone buy an evo and then drive it like a civic? Doesn't make sense. And with a turbo, you're already gonna have stuff breaking sooner.
Old 06-08-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
Originally Posted by taz757
This doesn't surprise me at all. They don't want people going out and abusing the hell out of their cars (as in SCCA or road races) and then break a part from abnormal driving and try to get it covered under warranty. I don't think it's actually a bad idea for the companies to do this. If you're going to push your car harder than it was intended to be, then I say that you should pay up for any work done.
in a day of auto X you maybe spend 3 or so minutes on the track. I drive the car harder to and from the track then actually on the track! Auto X is really no harder on the car then normal city driving ... especially here in houston
Old 06-08-2004

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
I think you guys have forgotten what the warranty is really for.

The warranty is there to protect you from manufactuer defects and whatnot. It's not there for you to go out and abuse the car day in and day out in traffic or taking it to the track. So I have no problem agreeing with companies that won't honor a warranty because you pushed the car too hard.
Old 06-08-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Autocross is by far not pushing the car too far...Especially if the car is Marketed as a "Off the shelf race car" as Mitsu has with the EVO.

even so, the 2 parts that actually take abuse are Brakes and tires, and they arnt covered under warrenty any way.
Old 06-08-2004

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Autocross is by far not pushing the car too far...Especially if the car is Marketed as a "Off the shelf race car" as Mitsu has with the EVO.

even so, the 2 parts that actually take abuse are Brakes and tires, and they arnt covered under warrenty any way.
I'm not really referring to the EVO. I'm just referring to cars getting abused like that as a whole.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by taz757

^^ yet they show their trucks/ cars doing so much more in ads... i.e. suvs and pickup trucks off roading at high speeds and dumping huge loads into the beds from 10 ft off the ground...

Last edited by lewal; 06-08-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by gearbox
Those newer, faster cars should be able to handle being pushed hard. Otherwise why would someone buy an evo and then drive it like a civic? Doesn't make sense. And with a turbo, you're already gonna have stuff breaking sooner.
well saId. I agree 100% Why make a hi perfomance car that can't perform without breaking.

Last edited by djmota; 06-08-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
^^ so you can Void warrentys and Reap the $$ for repairs..

Dont matter much with Mitsubishi, its the only company in the DaimlerChrysler group that isnt makeing money... so they may not be around much longer.
Old 06-08-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
Originally Posted by Zzyzx

thats exactly the whole point in the argument though. Any car can auto X. My friend auto crosses his 88 Chevy Beretta that has 200k miles on it and has no problems at all, so if an EVO cant do it .. and is designed to be an out of the box race car .. then mitsu has even more problems then just a few warranty issues
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

Companies also contradict themselves just to make a sale. The Evo is marketed as a super fast import car that's tuned and pimped from the factory. That's the whole idea they're pushing so people would buy it. To turn around and say it should be driven as an economy car is rediculous.

Look at Honda. They could hardly sell any new SI civics, so they start showing pics of modded versions to get people to buy them. But wait! They have a disclaimer saying that the cars were modified with non-Honda parts that will void the warranty. It says this in their own promotional book and on their website! Give me a break.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

jnycash is an unknown quantity at this point
I personally think it's wrong, but they do have a right to void the warranty for abnormal driving.

You have to remember that almost all "good" designs have some factor of safety built into them, so by slightly pushing the limits you'll probably still be ok. This isn't true for everything, but many things are designed in this manner.

By competing with your car you're banking on two things:

1) Your car will hold up with the small amount of added abuse.
2) Your local dealership is honest enough that if you find something that obviously is a manufacturer's defect that they step up to the plate and cover it.
Old 06-09-2004
Premium Member

Dealerships HATE doing warranty work. That's why the intake is at fault for your broken tranny. They find any excuse in the book. And what is abnormal driving really? The tach goes up to 6k rpms, so that should be considered the safe zone. Thats's what the engine was made to do.
Old 06-13-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well if they're gonna pull this ****... why not knock $1500 of the price of the car if you declare it to be what it is.... a RACE CAR, skip the powertrain warranty from the start and just sell it with a convience warranty that just covers things like rattles in the seats.

Honestly I think its crap to market a car like they do, then expect people not to race it. They might as well just take the 4G63 out and put the Lancer motor in it... that'll keep people from racing it. At least BMW is nice enough to give you 7 launch controlled starts before they void the warranty on the LC system.... you at least get to try it out!
Old 06-14-2004
Pro Skater

blue03civic is an unknown quantity at this point
yea thats ridiculous..as said b4 they come out with all these high performance cars and then they want u to just drive it.. especially when they all apeal to younger people who have plans on modding the **** outta it.. they market them like the evoi have an ad that says "0-60 in 5.1 seconds, if u think u can handle that sign below" come on i mean that asking u to rip it...and warranties are a freakin joke anyway.. i spposedly have on but verything that went wrong with my car so far i had to pay for cause thye blame such stipud on my aftermaret parts, even when thereno way possible that it could effect it.. its wrong... think about it
Old 06-16-2004
Autocross Junky

This just occured to me...

HONDA pays contingencys for Autocrossers.. Both for the national Tour and Pro Solo... its like Honda wants you to go autocrossing...

From The SCCA site..

Honda is an Official Contingency Sponsor of the 2004 Solo Season. Eligibility of the Honda contingency is specific and pertains to certain classes in Solo.

-----------
2004 The Tire Rack® SCCA ProSolo Championship Honda Contingency Program
IRS W-9
Program Contact Information
Melissa Flesher, SCCA Marketing Services Coordinator
PO Box 19400
(785) 357-7222
(785) 232-7228 fax
mflesher@scca.com

Program Summary
* American Honda is an Official Contingency Sponsor of the 2004 The Tire Rack SCCA ProSolo Championship Events.
* This is an optional contingency awards program.
* You must re-register for 2004 to be eligible for contingency awards.
* It is the entrant's responsibility to register properly and neatly apply decals and uniform patches.

Program Duration
* All The Tire Rack SCCA ProSolo Championship events in 2004.

Registration Requirements
* You must be registered in the program before the date of the event in which you will be competing. No awards will be paid if you are not enrolled prior to
competing in an eligible event.
* Please register for this program at any event at the on-site SCCA office.

Decal Requirements
* Required: YES
* # of Decals: 3
* Location: Decals must be placed in the center of the front bumper and on the rear quarter of each side of the vehicle.
* Availability: Decals can be ordered directly from American Honda by calling (310) 783-3177.

Vehicle Eligibility List
* Honda or Acura

Class Eligibility List
* All classes.

Award Information
* Payouts are presented to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed drivers per event in ProSolo competition.
* American Honda will also award 1st overall and 1st in class to the overall champion in the Super, Ladies and Honda Street Challenge and 1st in class to the ProSolo Year-End Champion.

Additional Information
* A W-9 form must be submitted to the SCCA prior to payment of award.
* All award claims must be accompanied a copy of the official race results. These are to be submitted no later than 30 days after the event.
* This contingency program is administered and paid entirely by the SCCA, on behalf of American Honda. For payout details, to register for the program, or to ask questions, please call (785) 357-7222.

Payout Schedule

Per Event
1st $150
2nd $100
3rd $50

Year-End/Class Champion
1st $1,500

Per Event/Super Challenge, Ladies & Honda Street Challenge
1st $500

Overall Champion/ Super Challenge, Ladies & Honda Street Challenge
1st $1,500

------------
2004 The Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championships Honda Contingency Program

Required Forms
• IRS W-9

Program Contact Information
Melissa Flesher, SCCA Marketing Services Coordinator
PO Box 19400
(785) 357-7222
(785) 232-7228 fax
mflesher@scca.com

Program Summary
* American Honda is an Official Contingency Sponsor of the 2004 The Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championship Events
* This is an optional contingency awards program.
* You must re-register for 2004 to be eligible for contingency awards.
* It is the entrant's responsibility to register properly and neatly apply decals and uniform patches.

Program Duration
* 2004 The Tire RackÆ SCCA Solo Nationals Championship

Registration Requirements
* You must be registered in the program before the date of the event in which you will be competing. No awards will be paid if you are not enrolled prior to competing in an eligible event.
* Please register for this program at any event at the on-site SCCA office.

Decal Requirements
* Required: YES
* # of Decals: 3
* Location: Decals must be placed in the center of the front bumper and on the rear quarter of each side of the vehicle.
* Availability: Decals can be ordered directly from American Honda by calling (310) 783-3177.

Vehicle Eligibility List
* Honda or Acura

Class Eligibility List
* All classes.

Award Information
* Payouts are presented to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed drivers per class in Solo Nationals Championship competition.
* There must be five or more competitors in a class.

Additional Information
* A W-9 form must be submitted to the SCCA prior to payment of award.
* All award claims must be accompanied a copy of the official race results. These are to be submitted no later than 30 days after the event.
* This contingency program is administered and paid entirely by the SCCA, on behalf of American Honda. For payout details, to register for the program, or
to ask questions, please call (785) 357-7222.

Payout Schedule

Per Class
1st $500
2nd $300
3rd $100
Old 06-16-2004
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
^^ cool
Old 06-17-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Hmm.....the wheel is turning.....
Old 07-09-2004
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
again, warrantees can only be voided by each individual dealer, leaving it their decision. and, in order to void it in the first place they have to be able to prove that the reason the part broke is due to mis-use, abuse, etc.
Old 08-04-2004
Registered!!

trance4mer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lewal
^^ yet they show their trucks/ cars doing so much more in ads... i.e. suvs and pickup trucks off roading at high speeds and dumping huge loads into the beds from 10 ft off the ground...
hahaha yeah true!!!!!
Old 08-05-2004
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW Zzyzx

ive seen the light, now i can go to an autocross with no worries!