Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

GF got me SCCA membership for V day!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Talking GF got me SCCA membership for V day!!

Holy crap guys, I have the best girlfriend ever!! For Valentines day she got me set up for SCCA SOLOII(I think) membership!! I've been wanting to do this for awhile now, but it was almost like a pipe dream ya know. I barely made any comments to her about actually doing it, I just said it was something I always wanted to do, but she got it all hooked up. Shes been talking with some people in the SCCA (I guess, havent read through all the paperwork yet) & they got all the paperwork done up & stuff like that. I dont really know how the whole process works, but we'll handle it.

Dude i'm sooo excited, im actually going to start autocrossing & taking the racing classes!! So you guys have any tips on getting started?? Like what should I do to prep my car, do I need a helmet, etc...

I have an 02 coupe EX, K&N FIPKII, DC short shift adapter, MOMO ****, Khumo Exta Supra 712s on the stock hubs, thats pretty much it, will this bump me out of the stock class??

Thanks for your input guys, im off to the Autorama, later.
Old 02-16-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Take off the K&N, lose the short shift adapter and run H-Stock. Its pretty stupid to get bumped into STS for just those. Other than that, leave the car alone for now and learn how to drive it first.
Most regions have loaner helmets, but nearly everyone prefers to own one... you need a Snell 1990 or newer approved helmet, I recommend getting a 2000 approved one. They roll over every few years so while a 1995 or 1990 one will be cheaper, you'll need to replace it faster because when the next revision of Snell ratings comes out, they'll obsolete the oldest current legal revision. If you plan on road racing too, get an SA (special application) approved helmet. It'll say SA2000 approved or something like that. For just autoX, an M (motorcycle) helmet is fine. 2000 approved helmets should be about 150 to start.

Welcome to the club
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

01EXtc is an unknown quantity at this point
Your GF is a keeper man!! Wish my gf was as big into cars as i was. Way to go my Hoosier brotha
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
Awesome gift indeed
Old 02-16-2004
Bring Hockey Back!

chrisgushue is an unknown quantity at this point
ya thats a sweet gift shes a keeper, my gf frowns at the thought of me doing anything else to my car
Old 02-16-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
SCCA member ship has some Bad *** Insurance too...

$1,000,000 Medical
$25,000 accedental Death
$10,000 Dismemberment
$100 per week Loss of work pay (max of 104 weeks)

Non members are only covered to 10,000 medical Reinbursment, 5,000 accedental Death and 5,000 Dismemberment.

so Member ship really does have its benifits.
note: this is only for SCCA sanctioned events.
Old 02-17-2004
Zoom zoom

Ok so, if I were to join now & I think theres a race next month, do that race in STS, get my *** kicked & then take off the stuff, go back to stock, will I be able to qualify back down to H-stock?? Or should I take it all off before I join? What if I just left it all on, got a front tie bar & some sway bars & maybee some 15" Rotas & left it in STS, would I just be wasting my time getting assraped??

You guys have any helpful links on driving/shifting tecniques & any other tips on getting started?? I know there were some posted awhile ago & i'm going to resarch it later, but im on 56k right now & desperately need to go to bed.

Also, Any links on the helmets?? Id rather go ahead & get an SA2000 one now, other than having to buy another one later if I get into road racing(with the future WRX of course).

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help.
Old 02-17-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by jiggerachi
Ok so, if I were to join now & I think theres a race next month, do that race in STS, get my *** kicked & then take off the stuff, go back to stock, will I be able to qualify back down to H-stock?? Or should I take it all off before I join? What if I just left it all on, got a front tie bar & some sway bars & maybee some 15" Rotas & left it in STS, would I just be wasting my time getting assraped??

You guys have any helpful links on driving/shifting tecniques & any other tips on getting started?? I know there were some posted awhile ago & i'm going to resarch it later, but im on 56k right now & desperately need to go to bed.

Also, Any links on the helmets?? Id rather go ahead & get an SA2000 one now, other than having to buy another one later if I get into road racing(with the future WRX of course).

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help.
Two words: Late Apex.

For helmets and other safty equipment Racer Wholesale is a good place to start. IF you dont have a harness I suggest getting something like this, Best $15 I ever spent. (Well not really)

A few Autocross Tips from the pros

as far as what class you should run, well it really doesnt matter much right now. but Running in Stock would give you a better chance then running Very underpreped in STS. Also Stock is a good place to learn car control.
Old 02-17-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
good job bro!! You woman is mos def a keeper! That makes at least 4 SCCA members here now. Anyone else want to step up?

Read the AutoX FAQ in suspension. There are lots of tips in there.
Old 02-19-2004
Zoom zoom

Thanks for the links man!

Ok, checking around I think im going to pick up this helmet next paycheck. linky

Cheap, but seems good enough to start out & looks pretty cool too. Also, that link you posted was dead, were you talking about these?? linky Do they really work well?? I want to eventually get a harness, but probably not for awhile though, so those might be what I need for now.

Ive been talking to Lberry, he autocrosses in Texas as well, he gave me a link to this driving school thats in town soon linky , i'll probably be going so hopefully i'll pick up some good tips.

Once again, thanks guys, hopefully soon ill be posting some nice kill stories with real driving.

Edit: Oh yea, apparently the Texas region SCCA has a novice class, so i'll try running in there for awhile, maybee I wont do too bad.

Last edited by jiggerachi; 02-19-2004 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2004
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn..awesome gift and awesome girl you got there.

-Kre
Old 02-19-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
A tip... get an open face helmet. Especially if you're somewhere hot. It gets kinda uncomfortable to be in a closed helmet when its 80 degrees or more. I've got a closed one, I took the visor off, but its still kinda toasty. Do yourself a favor and get an open one.
Old 02-19-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
I just signed up for NASA (like SCCA but different orginazation) first event is March 14th, can't wait to try the new setup out

Good thing i ride a motorcycle cause i already have a helmet
Old 02-19-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by jiggerachi
Thanks for the links man!

Also, that link you posted was dead, were you talking about these?? linky Do they really work well?? I want to eventually get a harness, but probably not for awhile though, so those might be what I need for now.

Ive
ya sorry about that, Broken links happen

thats the harness I use, cheep and effective. eventually I'll get a Schroth harness but this does the trick in the meen time.
Old 02-19-2004

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with gettin an open face helmet. I found I have been range of vision with them along with them not being as hot, but to each his own.
Old 02-19-2004
Autocross Junky

I have an open face helmet too, and the only forseeable problem with them is that some orginizations that do Track days dont allow them. so if you plan on doing track events its probbably best to get a full helmet (just to be sure).
Old 02-19-2004

Some track places do, but they also require it to be SA rated. There are a few SA rated open faced helmets out there. that orange hemlet is only MA rated so most track places won't let it pass, unless they don't check.
Old 02-19-2004
Zoom zoom

Ooooohh...thanks for the tip guys, that'll save me some cash too!!
Old 02-19-2004
Autocross Junky

some other sites with Autocross related equipment.

SoloRacer.com
SoloPerformance.com

also, one of the more important things you should get, a good Tire pressure gauge. one that goes 0-60. 0-100 gauges are a bit inaccurate.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 02-19-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2004
Zoom zoom

Ok you guys, I went out helmet hunting this weekend, & found out most places around here only sell DOT certified helmets, unless special order. But I did try on a bunch of then to get a feel of what size I need, XL. Although some helmets sizing was very different, like one XL fit like a MED size on me, that sucked, I guess its like buying shoes.

After looking around & giving heed to yalls advise, I think im going to get this one in XL, unless this brand sucks or something. linky

the orange ones look so cool for sime reason, lol. Does anyone use this brand, do you know if the sizeing convention is normal?? Im a bit leary about ordering a helmet online & finding out it dosent fit & gives me headaches, although I did notice the open faced ones were a bit more forgiving to the size than the closed ones, still its 100+ bucks, so I dont to go half assed on it.

Oh yea, does the visor work good on these, or can I yank it off, it would look less like the CHIPS helmets then, hehe. Can you wear sunglasses while racing, or is that a stupid idea??
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Good price! It should work fine...it is Snell M2000.
Old 02-24-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

GForce is fine stuff... that'll work fine.
The visor should just unscrew and you can wear sunglasses when you race. Just make sure they don't block your peripheral vision.
Old 02-24-2004
Zoom zoom

Cool thanks guys, i'm going to be picking up one of these also. linky

I'll let you guys know how the driving school goes.

Later