Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

First Autocross Attempt... Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protoman is an unknown quantity at this point
First Autocross Attempt... Advice please

Hey guys and gals, I'm going to attempt my first autocross Oct 5, any help would be appreciated and is anyone going, it's in Wilkesbarre, PA at the Wyoming Valley Mall? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2003
Registered!!

wannabeblown is an unknown quantity at this point
listen to the guys with grey hair.
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Search!! There are tons of info if you serach

Advice: walk the course b4 you race.
Old 09-29-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
1. Break in a straight line, then turn in.

2. The gas pedal is not an ON/OFF switch, ease on the gas when accelerating, and ease off the gas when your decelerating.

3. two hands on the wheels, at 9 and 3.

4. Sit Fairly close to the wheel and the pedals. to the point that you can push the clutch or the break to the floor with out having to streatch your leg straight and that you can turn the steering wheel with out having to straighten out your arms.

5. DO NOT use the E-Break for any thing@!!!!!!

6. Some times Slower is Faster....

7. Run Higher Tire pressures in the front, When I was runing with my 17's (205/40R17) I ran 45 PSI in the front and 32 in the rear. So go to a gas station and fill up your tires before you go.

8. Turn the steering wheel Dont Yank it!, SMOOTHNESS is the key. Be smooth and you will be fast.

9. walk the course with one of the "OLD" guys. Talk to every one!!!! Ask questions! See if one of the "old" guys will ride with you.

10. Froget all of the above, and Have some FUN!!!! (Thats the point after all)

Old 09-29-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Don't shift gears... just leave it in 2nd once you upshift the first time.
Don't be sudden about turning, the car will just keep going straight.
Slow and smooth in = fast out, but don't granny drive.... there's no coffee on your dash.
Always look ahead... you shouldn't need to look at the corner you're driving through.
Don't worry about everyone else's time, just make sure your last run is faster than your first.
If you DNF, try to find out what you missed so you don't keep doing it.
If you hit a cone, remember you just ran its *** over. Don't worry about it and just don't hit it again.

And get there early. If they say registration is from 8-10, be there by 830.
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

PatrickB is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Zzyzx
1. Break in a straight line, then turn in.

2. The gas pedal is not an ON/OFF switch, ease on the gas when accelerating, and ease off the gas when your decelerating.

3. two hands on the wheels, at 9 and 3.

4. Sit Fairly close to the wheel and the pedals. to the point that you can push the clutch or the break to the floor with out having to streatch your leg straight and that you can turn the steering wheel with out having to straighten out your arms.

5. DO NOT use the E-Break for any thing@!!!!!!

6. Some times Slower is Faster....

7. Run Higher Tire pressures in the front, When I was runing with my 17's (205/40R17) I ran 45 PSI in the front and 32 in the rear. So go to a gas station and fill up your tires before you go.

8. Turn the steering wheel Dont Yank it!, SMOOTHNESS is the key. Be smooth and you will be fast.

9. walk the course with one of the "OLD" guys. Talk to every one!!!! Ask questions! See if one of the "old" guys will ride with you.

10. Froget all of the above, and Have some FUN!!!! (Thats the point after all)

great advice!
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

Protoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice everyone, i forgot to mention though... i have an automatic, should i leave it in D or should i switch to 3 or any thoughts on that?
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

PatrickB is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Protoman
Thanks for the advice everyone, i forgot to mention though... i have an automatic, should i leave it in D or should i switch to 3 or any thoughts on that?
autos don't do well on the autox course.. but ya i would put it in 2. and suffer through the slow start.
Old 09-29-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, Put it in 2, otherwise it will want to shift to 3rd and then your Screwed for acceleration.

automatics Vs manual of the same chassis is worth 1 to 2 seconds depending on the course (Manual Being faster). so there is definitly a disadvantage to autocrossing an automatic, but It can be done (My friend does it very well). and at the regional level you can win with just about anything any way, so Don't let having an automatic keep you from having fun.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 09-29-2003 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2003
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Does anybody know where any AutoX events are in dallas/Ft Worth?? I'm dying to try it but I can never find any. Also, I have a K&N FIPKII intake & a DC SS adapter, will that take me out of the stock class, those are my only performance mods for now.
Old 09-29-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by jiggerachi
Does anybody know where any AutoX events are in dallas/Ft Worth?? I'm dying to try it but I can never find any. Also, I have a K&N FIPKII intake & a DC SS adapter, will that take me out of the stock class, those are my only performance mods for now.

Try here

Texas Region SOlO 2

Looks like the next event in your Region is October 19th, at the Texas Motor Speed way in Fort Worth TX.

Registration & Tech 7:30AM-9:00AM
Drivers Meeting 9:30AM
First Runs Start 10:00AM
Trophies at conclusion of runs 4:30 PM
Member entry fee $15.00
Non-Member entry fee $25.00

Map

The internet has EVERY THING!

Yes that takes you out of the stock classes. You'll probably run STS.
Old 09-29-2003
Zoom zoom

Thanks bro, sorry for my noobishness hehe.

Originally posted by Zzyzx
Yes that takes you out of the stock classes. You'll probably run STS.
So that means ill be getting my *** KICKED huh, oh well, itll be fun nonetheless.
Old 09-29-2003
Autocross Junky

Stock is one of the most compeditive classes you can run.......
Old 09-29-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks bro, sorry for my noobishness hehe.

So that means ill be getting my *** KICKED huh, oh well, itll be fun nonetheless.

If you're on stock tires, you're fuxored, but if you've got something better than that, the car can hang pretty well with the big boys.
Power is nothing without control, light and balanced is always better than heavy and powerful.
Old 09-29-2003
Zoom zoom

I just put on some Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on the stock steelies, so I think ill be safe in the tire department. But as for suspension mods, nada. Im thinkin about a Neuspeed front strut bar, but that might be awhile.
Old 09-29-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

I just put on some Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on the stock steelies, so I think ill be safe in the tire department. But as for suspension mods, nada. Im thinkin about a Neuspeed front strut bar, but that might be awhile.
Get one of those, and an RSX rear sway. Maybe a tie bar for good measure, but I'm not sure you need it.
Thats a pretty good balance for the stock suspension.
Old 09-29-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: First Autocross Attempt... Advice please

Originally posted by Protoman
Hey guys and gals, I'm going to attempt my first autocross Oct 5, any help would be appreciated and is anyone going, it's in Wilkesbarre, PA at the Wyoming Valley Mall? Thanks.
dammit! im going to philly this weekend or i would go try it out. im at school in williamsport, so im like an hour away tops! ****.
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

lberry is an unknown quantity at this point
jiggerachi,

I am one of the only 7th gens that goes to the Texas Region SOlO 2 events. You should defiantly come out to the next event. i have been running in the Novice STS class and last event I came in third. Look at page 4

http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/2003event7.pdf
Old 09-30-2003
Autocross Junky

Whats with the DNF????? For get a turn or some thing??

Just messing with ya, it happens.
Good job though! 3rd its pretty good.
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

Yeah I missed the gate into one of the 3 slaloms on the course.
We normally race at a different location and the course is smaller.
This course was 1.25 miles long and I only walked it twice before we started.

I have only been AutoXing for a year now and it is so addicting.
Old 10-01-2003
Zoom zoom

Originally posted by lberry
jiggerachi,

I am one of the only 7th gens that goes to the Texas Region SOlO 2 events. You should defiantly come out to the next event. i have been running in the Novice STS class and last event I came in third. Look at page 4

http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/2003event7.pdf
Definately, Im going to try to be there, but Sunday morning isnt the best day for me, i'll feel guilty for skipping church, plus it would be hard for any of my friends to come with me, but i'll see what I can do. Ive been wanting to autocross for awhile now so. I might just come out, & just hang & watch this one, maybee next time ill try my luck at it.
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

Definately, Im going to try to be there, but Sunday morning isnt the best day for me, i'll feel guilty for skipping church, plus it would be hard for any of my friends to come with me, but i'll see what I can do. Ive been wanting to autocross for awhile now so. I might just come out, & just hang & watch this one, maybee next time ill try my luck at it.

Come on man! it's only one Sunday a month. Plus at this spot there is a big course and its usually not as technical as the smaller courses.........It's all about having fun! There are soo many different cars and a lot of people are running in the Novice class so there is no reason to feel intimidated.

If you do come out at least ride with someone on the course to see what it's like.. A lot of the old expierienced guys encourage it.

Just my .02
Old 10-01-2003
Zoom zoom

Yea i'm going to try to make it this time, if I dont run maybee ill ride with you or something, hell I might run a few, I dunno, we'll see.
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

That's what I'm talking about..We need more 7th gens out there. Yeah, you can ride on my first two runs. Hope to see you there Oct. 19.
Man too bad it's not this weekend. All this talk makes me hyped

Check out my pics under members rides... there are some pics of me AutoXing at the last event.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrid...r=12277&sort=2
Old 10-01-2003
Autocross Junky

To bad you guys arnt in las Vegas, this weekend were having a 2 day event, YUP. Racing on saturday and sunday!!!!