Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Disable the parking light feature from the front turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gregd is an unknown quantity at this point
Disable the parking light feature from the front turn signals?

If the title wasn't clear enough, here's what I want to do. I would like the front turn signal amber lights (7443) to only turn on when using as a turn signal indicator and remain off during all other times (even when the headlights or daytime running lights are on). And of course I want the hazard lights to work as it should.

I really hate the ugly orange lights that are always on whenever the DRL (nice LEDs) or headlights are on. Is there a wiring modification where I can disable the parking lights so it only works when I use the turn signal switches (and the hazard button). I'm really hoping there's a way to make this possible. The amber lights are the only thing ruining the front view of my civic coupe.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

G
Old 08-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disable the parking light feature from the front turn signals?

Each one has a dim (park) and bright (turn) in the same bulb, right?

Remove/disable/cut the wire that runs the dimmer of the two bulb filaments (park) at each socket? If you do it right that should leave the bright (turn signal) filament working on each side.

(Did not look at any wiring diagrams for this guess.)
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Each one has a dim (park) and bright (turn) in the same bulb, right?

Remove/disable/cut the wire that runs the dimmer of the two bulb filaments (park) at each socket? If you do it right that should leave the bright (turn signal) filament working on each side.

(Did not look at any wiring diagrams for this guess.)

Thanks for the reply. Will take a look at it this weekend and let you know if success.

Any other solutions welcome as well.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2016
Registered!!

SUCCESS!

This was easier than almost anything I've done in my car. No wire cutting involved. All I needed was a tiny bit of plastic tape - covered the parking light wire (in the bulb) that touches the metal part in the socket.

The following users liked this post:
TokyoCornflower (05-20-2023)
Old 08-17-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gregd
SUCCESS!

This was easier than almost anything I've done in my car. No wire cutting involved. All I needed was a tiny bit of plastic tape - covered the parking light wire (in the bulb) that touches the metal part in the socket.

That tape may become ineffective after the bulb has been hot several times. Good luck though.
Old 08-17-2016
Registered!!

I'm thinking if that ever happens I will simply trim the parking light wires in the bulb (Btw, these bulbs are $2 a pair here at the local thrift store I just don't want to cut the wires connecting the socket so I don't have to repair or replace it later when selling the car.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2016
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Or you could get some switchback LEDs that are white and switch to amber when the hazards or turn signal are activated. But you would also need an LED flasher so you don't get hyperblinking.

Had these on my 6th gen coupe and it was sexy! all white light in the front
Save
Old 08-17-2016

Originally Posted by gregd
I'm thinking if that ever happens I will simply trim the parking light wires in the bulb (Btw, these bulbs are $2 a pair here at the local thrift store I just don't want to cut the wires connecting the socket so I don't have to repair or replace it later when selling the car.

Thanks.
Nice and simple.

I tend to make things complicated LOL
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Or you could get some switchback LEDs that are white and switch to amber when the hazards or turn signal are activated. But you would also need an LED flasher so you don't get hyperblinking.

Had these on my 6th gen coupe and it was sexy! all white light in the front
Save
I actually tried switchbacks before I thought of the tape solution. Turns out the white LEDs still look orange because of that stupid orange tint on the turn signal part of my headlights (I have stock headlights - 2003 coupe). This is of no use unless I get rid of the orange tint inside the headlight, which I think might be too complicated to do.

Also, another issue - The 7443 switchback LEDs that I got turned out to be too big to fit through the hole that the socket and bulb sticks out from. Had to return the LEDs.

I'll probably go back to switchbacks if I ever figure out ^solutions.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Nice and simple.

I tend to make things complicated LOL
Haha sometimes I tend to do the same but in case of my car, I like to keep my work as simple as possible. Getting the best looks out of minimum work. (!!Lot's of Plasti-Dip!!)
Old 05-15-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4lecm is an unknown quantity at this point

very unlikely someone will see this 7 years later but in the off chance, could you elaborate how you did it? Maybe post a picture. And would it be possible with LEDs?

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-17-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Three wires running to the connector. One is ground, one is battery voltage (cycling on/off) for the turn signal, third is constant battery voltage for the parking lights. According to my service manual, these are black, green/red (left) or green/yellow (right), and red/yellow respectively. Inside the connector or on the bulb, find a way to prevent the red wire/terminal from touching the appropriate contacts on the bulb. Would work the same with LEDs.
Old 07-23-2023
Registered!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
TokyoCornflower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4lecm
very unlikely someone will see this 7 years later but in the off chance, could you elaborate how you did it? Maybe post a picture. And would it be possible with LEDs?

[/QUOTE]
Either pinpoint and cut the correct wire, or as the Orignial Postered did: put a little strip of tape on the correct bulb contact (easy trial and error to make sure you have the correct one), also very easy reversal in future if need or want arises. I haven't tried it, but my suggestion would be once you do determine the correct contact, snip the bulb's contact wire (so the bulb is permanently altered but car is not) and tape doesn't gum up or wear through in time. If they are LEDs that directly plug to standard wiring it should work fine.