Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

DIY: Blacking Out 04-05 Headlights _Viper_ Style ( Pics Included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Talking DIY: Blacking Out 04-05 Headlights _Viper_ Style ( Pics Included)

EDIT (15 Nov 09): pics are gone, nobody has them to repost, so stop asking!!!!!!

Hey I finally finished the lights and they look really HOT.. It was an 8 on the hard level because so much care has to be taken when resealing the lights. Putting them in the oven is also very tricky because you basically have to stand there and not let them out of your site. I basically made sure they were hot that way the Honda glue that seals them came apart more easily. I used Gloss black and I personally recommend this because OEM cars like mazda’s come out that way and it makes the lights stand out more..Also the DIY is not like 01-03 as we don’t have to remove clips etc etc
The first 2 pics are Normal looking lights at the end youll see before and after pics..
Well you be the judges OK I did this for you guy’s…
_Viper_ Out

Step 1
Removing Bumper
You must remove the bumper OK!!!!!!!!! D’ont try going around that its just the way it is. In these pics youll see me removing all the clips to remove the Bumper just look and do the same ..Once all the clips and screwes are taken out you have to pull out each side of the bumper then pull in the front of the bumper to get it off….

Step 2
Removing Lights
There are 3 Bolts and one clip that holds the lights in place..Use a 10mm socket for the bolts.Youll also need a long extension to remove the bolt that’s above the bumper cuz its tucked in a lot…Once the bolts are out and that Black clip just pull on the headlight and it will come right out…

Step 3
Disconnecting Headlights and removing Rubber rings
Ok to disconnect the headlight you have to twist the plug in to detach the harness from the headlight. There are three plugs in all High Beam Low Bean and Turn Signal…
Then once the headlight is unplugged turn it over and you will see 2 rubber rings per light and also a small plastic cap.. These must be removed so they don’t melt in the oven..
Also you might want to remove those 3 screws per headlight just for the hell of it.. Also under the Headlight there is a bracket that must be removed its held with a 10mm bolt
NOTE : always lay your headlights on a nice thick rag so that way they don’t scratch OK!!!!!

Step 4
Oven Time
Get your oven preheated to at least 225 Farenheight I think its 100 degrees in US and put one headlight 2 don’t fit right in there for at least 5 minutes on the last 2 minutes turn the oven off and let the timer go to zero. Now get the light out of the oven and place it again on a rag and start slowly prying the headlight apart. You need to push up the black clips carefully then stick a flat head screwdriver and separate the housing from the plastic cover. Take two screwdrivers to do this and as you go along put one screwdriver in front of the other..When the light is almost separated just pull it apart with your hands..
Now youll have two pieces.

Step 5
Platic Chrome piece
Alright now you need to take that chrome piece out. Get a Phillips screwdriver and take the small chrome screw out and just un clip the chrome piece and pull slowly. Then remove the side marker (Turn signal amber piece) it just pops out.

Step 6
Painting the chrome piece
Ok I bought some 1000 grit sand paper and really scuffed the chrome well, why?? Because the glossy paint will stick better and last longer for sure. Slick chrome is very slippery and paint will not adhear easily to it. One sanded go in a well ventilated area and start painting them.Use the directions on your can and spray very light coats.
NOTE: Don’t worry if the first coat looks like **** its normal, just don’t put a really thick first coat cuz then you will get fish eyes in the paint. Once the coat is done put it in the oven at 225 for to 4 minutes to make the paint cure more rapidly. Then add more coats until you are satisfied putting the piece in the oven between every coat..

Step 7
Painted piece ( Woot Woot )
Ok your doing great at this point..Now don’t get all sloppy putting you fingers all over the piece, handle it like it was gold and make sure its dry enough to put back into the plastic cover or youll rub the black paint off and smear the inside of the lens. Reinstall the amber reflecting piece when dry. And the screw that hold the painted piece

Step 8
Resealing
First of all this is what the other DIY’s, don’t tell you. When you put your light in the oven the OEM Honda glue will thin out because the heat melts it and it runs down the edge of the light so obviously there is not as much glue as when it was sealed up brand new. On the black piece youll see a channel where the OEM Honda glue is. Get a tube of caulk and don’t go cheap get very good caulk and run a beed of caulk in there, then put the cover over and press them together slowly. You must put the light in the oven again at 225 for 4 to 5 minutes and when its ready take it out and press firly the piece together making sure the clips snap back in.Youll notice extra caulk ooze out on the sides so just wipe it off with a rag but continue to press until its all together and snug.

Step 9
Voila Blacked Out 04-05 Headlights
Now don’t go running all excited to the car with the lights not fully cured just give it time to cool down. Then go out and reinstall everything back on the headlight and rebolt them in.

Step 10
Making Sure
Make sure and take your time rebolting everything back together. Don’t forget to put back all the rubber pieces and the small ventilation cap on OK!!!!! And then drive around and have all the peeps drop their lips when they see DA BOMB. I actually had kids in a 87 Civic Give me thumbs up on the Highway for the lights..
Oh yeah REP is always a good thing

Before

After

Last edited by electric130; 11-15-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
holy **** dude. manage those boobies.

Old 03-21-2005
The Rizing Sun

Akutenshi is on a distinguished road
please take that stupid thing off ur hood. its aaaaaaaaagly. lol

nice job on the headlights. itll look alot better with that thing gone
Old 03-21-2005

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
OMG anymore comments on the Rock Guard ans Ill lose it sheeeeshhhhhhh..
I live in Canada its there for the winter ONLY DAMMIT

I saves a Million Rock chips from all the **** they put on our streets
Old 03-21-2005
Registered!!

02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by infinite012
holy **** dude. manage those boobies.

good idea to take pcis like that, that will grab these peoples attention ;-)
Old 03-21-2005
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
that looks good...i thought you had an si though nevermind you are in canada
Old 03-21-2005

vietstylez will become famous soon enough
lol.. more pix of the girl plz
Old 03-21-2005
Registered!!

Tdoan14 is a jewel in the roughTdoan14 is a jewel in the roughTdoan14 is a jewel in the rough
Looks good! I'm planning on doin' my 03 lights when summer time comes.
Old 03-21-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
Damn looks AWSOME viper... Nice DIY, very detailed.. rep for you!
Old 03-22-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
Old 03-22-2005

Originally Posted by kirks04ex
that looks good...i thought you had an si though nevermind you are in canada
Yeah Si Sedan in Canada (EX) in states
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

noVICe is an unknown quantity at this point
nice job with this DIY... hay muchos photos buenos ... someone should sticky this biatch
Old 03-26-2005
Registered!!

jdmdreams04 is an unknown quantity at this point
damm that looks good! its on for my car now! thanx for the pics its gonna help out alot! :P
Old 03-26-2005
Registered!!

civicguy1xxxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm, i wonder how red would look on my red civic.......too ricey or no, what do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
rice
Old 03-27-2005
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Originally Posted by infinite012
rice

nice rice

Very nice DIY
Old 03-28-2005
Proudly Canadian

Slawek is an unknown quantity at this point
more boobie pics!
Old 03-29-2005
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Great DIY!
Just finished a few hours ago. Here's my pics
REP PTS for you

Old 03-30-2005

Wow right on man now thats what i like to see..
What paint did you use to do it ????

Very nice job. i have one light that has a slight very minimal fogging issue in a corner so ill check that out ..
Old 03-30-2005
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
I used Duplicolor Gloss Black engine paint from Crappy Tire
Old 04-02-2005
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
very nice write up, actually right now i have the lights pulled apart, and im painting tomorrow and putting them back together...but im using a gunmetal spray ill post pics when i get them done

i have a spare set of headlights so i can take my sweet *** time
Old 04-03-2005
Boosted 04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
Great diy...im in the middle of doing mine ill post pics when im done.......if i had pos rep i would rep you sorry bro.
Old 04-03-2005
Boosted 04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
I used dupli color 500 degree gloss black engine enamal
Old 04-12-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Damn Viper, now that's what I call a "COMPLETE DIY". So detailed; great job man. I had an issue with the silicone, but now I know what to do. Thanks man!!
By the way, great idea to take pics of a model posing with the headlights for ya, LOL!!
Old 04-13-2005
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
sorry, i missed the pic, i could not stop drooling!! j/k nice work!!
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
wat kind of sealant did you guys use to reseal the headlights together besides the stock glue. someone told me to use the sealant used for gaskets and some say to use like around the house silicone stuff. would gasket silicone work? ill give you guys a link of wat im talking about. Something in the lines of this: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtnumber=82180
Old 04-14-2005

Get a very High grade automotive scilicone clear or black but black is soooo messy...

Anyways GE makes good stuff....
Old 04-14-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Regular Clear Silicone II for the bathroom & kitchen will work. I got mine at Home Depot.
Old 04-14-2005
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
i vote viper does more DIY's with those back ground pics.. should get some attetion

good one viper. I wasnt sure how my 04's had to be done

looks hawt.. so does she
Old 04-14-2005

Thanks paradox ill get right on it..

I actually want to take pics of her inserting different snap on tools etc etc lollll

Quick Reply: DIY: Blacking Out 04-05 Headlights _Viper_ Style ( Pics Included)