Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

$225 exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRunner22 is an unknown quantity at this point
$225 exhaust ticket

So I'm on my way home from work, about to merge on to the highway. Before I even hit highway speeds I get pulled over for my greddy exhaust. Cop cites on the ticket that I have a loud/unusual muffler noise! I dont get it. I wasnt doing anything wrong and yet I get ticketed. Anyone have any ideas where I can get ct law information without going to the barracks, seeing as how cops have a way of covering each other's .
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
fight the ticket. can u put a signler in it? Cops in my city give tickets out for exhaust if they can hear it within 30 feet and subwoofers to. Fight teh ticket was it a fix it ticket?
Old 03-07-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp

found this on the site above:

Frequently Asked Questions on Customizing Vehicles: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?A=801&Q=252796

inside the link above:

Are glass pack mufflers legal?
Per Sec. 14-80a-1a through 14-80a-10a of the DMV Regulations for "Glass Pack Mufflers" it is based on the loudness of the vehicle measured in accordance with the DMV Regulation. The loudness is affected not only by the mufflers utilized, but also by any engine modifications. There can be two different vehicles with the same exhaust system, however, they may have different engine modifications. One of the vehicles will pass the noise level measurement test and the other vehicle may not.
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

Thanks man, i went to dmv today and they told me i had to go to another dmv to ensure the decibel level didnt exceed federal limits.
Old 03-11-2006
Registered!!

03hce has a spectacular aura about03hce has a spectacular aura about03hce has a spectacular aura about
225! That's crazy... I got cited for loud exhaust along with bass... 140 for both... 110 for music and 30 for exhaust... you got hosed tommy!
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

swifty2k is an unknown quantity at this point
That SUCKS... My friend got a ticket for his INTAKE! But the cop tried to argue with him he had an exhaust...(Which he didnt)
Anyways, long story short, my friend started his car....no noise...revved it lightly...no noise..the cop let him go with a 'warning'
Old 03-12-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
call up greddy. i'm pretty sure their evo system meets requirements and should have come with a paper and a decibal test.
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

reqy will become famous soon enoughreqy will become famous soon enough
They do i remember they advertised it's Evo with comparison to other exhaust systems.
I remember reading somehwere that you should get a device that reads dB levels and keep it in your car at all times. It's not too expensive but it should be able to save your rear especially if you have information regarding the state's dB limits. If they still cite you, you can take it to court and have a better chance at winning.
Cops can be lame at times.
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

Hank_Si is an unknown quantity at this point
Why do cops always hassle cars with loud exhaust. What about harleys or even crotch rockets. Never seen or heard of them getting pulled over for exhaust too loud.
Old 03-12-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya they dont pull over harleys thats a given. they hate imports because we already have a bad rep. you can thank all those idiots that illegally mod their car.
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
call up greddy. i'm pretty sure their evo system meets requirements and should have come with a paper and a decibal test.

I emailed greddy they said the exhaust was 50 state legal and to contact my local dealer to get paperwork. But i i think i should still go to the DMV and get official paperwork and just keep it in the car at all times. I was considering just putting my stock exhaust on, going to the DMV and have them sign off it was ok and then just put the exhaust back on. Then i figured it would be better to fight the ticket and get some real proof to keep the cops from hassling me more, i would have much greater satisfaction knowing i proved the cop wrong.
Old 03-12-2006
Premium Member

ya fight it and next time pull out the db test they did and say here you go its legal.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

went to the dmv today, they had me rev the engione to 4 grand and stood 50 feet back with a microphone, and of course it passed. I got written documention saying it was legal, so the ticket should be thrown out and i'll have documentation if i get pulled over again.
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

inthenameofweez is an unknown quantity at this point
Way to be smart about it rather than just walking in with no proof and throwing a fit!! I love hearing stories of the "under-dog" winning a fight with the bully.

Do you know what level db they were looking for?
What amount exceeds legal limit?
Friend of mine has a rating device, and I was going to use it.
Old 03-15-2006
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hank_Si
Why do cops always hassle cars with loud exhaust. What about harleys or even crotch rockets. Never seen or heard of them getting pulled over for exhaust too loud.
different laws concerning motorcylces versus automobiles
Old 03-15-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by inthenameofweez
Do you know what level db they were looking for?
What amount exceeds legal limit?
Friend of mine has a rating device, and I was going to use it.
The db limit depends on where you live, i know ct uses the federal law and at four grand and 50 feet away the limit for any car made after jan 1979 has to be under 74 db (accoring to the guy at the dmv), the greddy evo came in at 68 db. check your local statutes or dmv for texas' limit though.