Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Event Data Recorder (EDR)

Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AdamYYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Event Data Recorder (EDR)

Ive been trying to search this website for information on this but I cant find any conclusive information.

1) Does my 2002 Civic Si-G (Canadian) Coupe have ANY sort of data recorder that can help me in court?

2) Has anybody here EVER retreived this information on ANY car?

I was rear ended and pushed into the guy ahead of me. I have been charged for following too closely and blamed 100% for the accident. I am in the process of hiring a lawyer. My airbags did not deploy and my car was still running for a minuite after the accident. Is there any way I can retreive the readings from the cars computer just before the initial impact occured? Because that would prove that I stopped fully before being rear ended very hard. From what I have read about EDR's is that they go on alert when they detect strong and sudden G-Forces because it will decide weither or not to deploy the airbags. I hope it recorded what happened even though the airbags didnt deploy.

Any information or links you can provide would be super.
Old 06-12-2005
I drive a jeep to compensate for my tiny pee pee

Blue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enoughBlue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enough
bump so this guy doesnt get screwed
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

02blackcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
heard about it, just dont have any information, kinda like a black box but for cars so they can figure out what happened in accidents, sorry but i hope things look up for you
Old 06-13-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i hope you filed a police report. tell the officer/judge/insurance the truth on what happened. obviously, you were rear ended and because of the vehicle rear ending you, you were forced to bap the vehicle in front of you. its common sense, it seems to me you are dealing with shady *****. contact your insurance agency, the victims, everyone to explain the situation on what happened. idk how the hell the person who rear ended you is trying to blame you? from what i know, whoever runs into the rear of your vehicle, you are the cause (exclude anything related with driving in reverse).

as for the datebase records, i have no idea, sorry.

following too closely is not the cause here. i would assume it is the driver who rear ended you is at fault. even if you were following too closely, that doesnt give the driver who rear ended you to blame on you.

some good evidence would that your rear end has be more damaged than the front as you were rear ended and bapped into the front. use your vehicle damage as evidence. ask them "if i am at fault because i was following too closely, then why is my rear end of my vehicle received much more damaged than my front end?"
also take pics of your car, the others cars damage, etc. im sure the driver who rear ended you has noticeable damage done to the front of his car while the vehicle that you bapped foward into has minor damage.

Last edited by jttegx; 06-13-2005 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies so far. My honda dealer couldnt tell me. Im hoping somebody will come along and have an answer.

More about the accident:

Trouble happened 4 cars ahead I stopped firmly with the others infront of me. I used up as much room as possible to give the people behind me a chance. I stopped about 3/4 of a car length from the CR-V ahead of me. A woman driving a Subaru SVX tried to change lanes instead of stopping hitting my rear corner at speed sending me into the opposite rear corner of the CR-V ahead of me.

Everything was open and shut with the police investigation. 3 hours passed and we were all about to be dismissed and I was in no trouble, and then some guy shows up claiming he saw me rear end the guy ahead of me causing the woman behind me to have no choise but to slam into me. There is no way somebody could have even mistakenly seen something like that, not even from behind. My guess is the people who hit me while they were on the phone for most of the time found somebody who worked in the massive business complex beside the accident scene, there are several large bank buildings. The cop had no choice but to give me a ticket for following too close. He was just doing his job. Turns out the husband of the woman behind me works for an insurance company.

So anyway, I file my claim. My claims adjuster calls me the next day and sais my story checks out with the guy ahead of me and my deductable has been waived. Then 4 days later she calls me back and sais she talked with the peopel who hit me and then called the guy ahead of me again and said now they are both saying I "Bounced off the CR-V and into the SVX" and they called me a liar straight up. She told me I have to pay my deductable and Im 100% at fault for the accident. At that point I hired a lawyer immediately.

Something very wrong has been going on. I need the cars computer to give me a for sure win against these clowns.

The pictures I have should be good enough. They prove alot of things that they will have trouble getting out of. Im not going to disclose any critical details of the accident incase somehow these people think to check the Civic forums. I have so much evidence I'm going to lay some serious shock and awe in the courtroom.

One interesting point though that I can disclose, the CR-V has a high back bumper. My Civic wedged under that back bumper and took the front end impact from the headlight up only on the corner. There was very minimal damage and my airbags didnt deploy. My rear end however was hit hard enough to rip the rear wheel clean off. The arms came right off and everything. Her airbags did both deploy. If the judge takes some random *******s bullshit eye witness account instead of the hard facts, Im going to kill myself. The stupidity of the whole thing is just too overwhelming.
Old 06-13-2005
I Am Legend

CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
All I know about the black box is the rumor that it's there, however it's hardly used save for most serious accidents.. which very well could be yours..

The only reason I see that the airbags didn't deploy (which would help your case) (btw, I'm a court clerk in H-town) is that if she hit you just to the side of the rear impact bar (which seems to be indicated i.e. 'side of the car') then it would not have picked up the electronic signal from the rear impact bar because there would not have been a signal.. get this? lol..

When it comes time for your trail, and yes I know you'll go to trail..lol. Have your lawyer request from the court the contact information of EVERY single witness involved, even the complaint witness could be of some help. I'm unsure if you can contact them directly save by subpoena, but at least here, they still are NOT required to serve as witness (even the Complaintant witness i.e. dude you were PUSHED into, lol.)

Hopefully you can have some direct contact outside of the court room, however it would be nice (although possibly illegal, lol.) to remind these witnesses that "When I do win, purgury is a crime..." Have some good pictures and possibly a statement from EVERYONE, be it witnesses, body shop workers, claims adjustors.. even my favorite an "outside opinion" from a different non-associated body shop...

Sorry this was so long.. But I wish you all the luck in the world bud.. I've been rear-ended in both gray-fault and their fault, I hope you fair well.
Old 06-13-2005
I Am Legend

CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ahh.. sorry.. I do believe...
IT'S NEVER TO LATE TO FILE A POLICE REPORT.. poeple do it on Bad check cases I've seen well into 3+ years after it 'supposedly' happened.
Old 06-13-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

omg, women drivers
so she was calling you a liar and said your car bounce off the crv and hit hers? she really needs to stfu cause she rear ended you causing you to bap the crv in front. 3/4 car length isnt following too closely cause it was during stopping time. its not like you were on traffic doing 55mph and following at 3/4 car length. you was in the procedure of stopping for gods sake until she rammed your ***.

call the police and file a police report and give them your side of the story for the records. cause of course the judge will ask if you have filed a police report for something this serious. in general, their is no way you were at fault if you were rear ended. maybe the woman was following too closely cause if she werent following too closely, she wouldnt have been ramming you in the rear.

its common sense, these ppls are just shady and want money.

take 3 micro machine cars. place one in front (crv), one 2 inches away from the crv (your car), and take the 3rd one and push it to the rear of your car (the middle micro machine). outcome: 3rd car rams 2nd, pushes and forces the 2nd car into the first due to the heavy weight of the car (2500+ lbs).

at first, i disliked majority of the female drivers, but after hearing this, they are even shady/fcuked up as i thought they were more forgiving than this.
Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice guys

As soon as the accident happened I made sure the police were called. And I protested that the tow truck drivers moved the cars even though everybody on the scene tried to get me out of the way. But I managed to wait until Metro Toronto police showed up. An accident investigator arrived on scene shortly after. He knew exactly what happened. He knew my story was the right one. But unfortunately the law states that he has to take an eye witness story as the correct one. So basicly, phone somebody who lives nearby and tell them to get their *** over there and pretend they saw somebody else cause an accident. Thats all ya need to do. She didnt even get a ticket or any blame. Crazy world we live in.

And its always idiot suburbanite drivers too. I live downtown, and I feel more relaxed because the drivers usualy know what they are doing and know where they are going. Its when I go into Brampton and Mississauga that I have "eyeballs and teeth" moments. The accident happened near the Airport, technicly Toronto but its really part of suburbia
Old 06-27-2005
I drive a jeep to compensate for my tiny pee pee

Blue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enoughBlue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enough
so any update
Old 06-27-2005
Registered!!

Little progress has been made. My insurance company isnt helping me very much. I'm trying to convince them to let me take a polygraph to get them on my side.

I should be finding out whats going on this week some time. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, feast your eyes on these:

[EDIT: Im extra glad I bought my Camera Phone now. And I almost DIDNT take these pictures. I thought I was in absolutely no danger of being held responsible. And the irony is, I protested moving the vehicles. I made sure that the cars stayed as they were until Police could see it]

Last edited by AdamYYZ; 06-27-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2005
Registered!!

I have good news. My insurance company believes me now and they arent holding me at fault. They are going after the other driver. They told me my pictures were worth a thousand words. This whole thing was awful and I wouldnt wish this on anyone. Im glad that is over. Now I just have to worry about fighting the ticket in court which should be the easy part now that I'm 0% at fault.
Old 07-07-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

damn... goodluck.

hope that bitch gets whats comming to her
Old 07-08-2005
Superior Evolutionary Element Destined-factor

Xenin is an unknown quantity at this point
oh yeah, that really looks like your car bounced off the CRV and into the SVX even though your car is slammed into the CRV. note the sarcasm.
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
i might be a lil late, but our cars do not have that black box. when i got into my accident, i searched and asked around about it. i was told that we don't have it.
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

LOL I know. The whole bounce back and forth theory is so childish. I cant believe it held up for three whole weeks. iTS LIEK PPL DONT KNOW TEH LAWZ OF FISIKS@!!1!one!!

And the black box thing was frusterating too, I called honda so many times and they kept saying they would look into it and return my call. I never got a call back. They couldnt confirm or deny the car had one for christ sakes. Im going to write a letter about that. They should have been able to atleast call me back saying they are still looking into it.