Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Blue underbody lights in Ontario

Old 08-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nibsicle is an unknown quantity at this point
Blue underbody lights in Ontario

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can tell me about the neon underbody lights... if they are legal or not... and if there are any particular stipulations... I mean I have driven past a ton of police (Regional & OPP) since I have put blue neons on... They look at me, smile and keep going... (this is going to sound really bad ---> prolly cause I am a chick ?!?) Please let me know...
Thanks!

Last edited by Nibsicle; 08-30-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Welcome to the site. Technically the cops can give you a ticket for blue lights, being that blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles. Thing is, the law says that FLASHING blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles, and I'm sure your neons don't flash. Regardless, the cops can hit you with some kind of improper lighting ticket, at their discretion. You MIGHT be able to beat it in court, but do you REALLY want to have to go to court over neons? I just keep mine switched off on highways and public roads, turning them on when I get into wherever it is I want to show off.
Hate to say it, but you're probably not getting hassled because you're a girl. I get followed around all the time by the polizia. It's a sh1tty standard, but that's the way the game is played in Southern Ontario I guess.
Old 08-30-2004
Registered!!

AZNRACR is on a distinguished road
If you are parked, you can have them on, but when you are driving, that's a big NO NO!! police will be all up on you.
Old 09-22-2004
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
its cause your a chick.. cop saw my lblue lgihts under my dash when he was beside me.. or never the less saw the glow on my face and pulled me over.. jsut to be a *****.. girls get allt he breaks :P

technically i believe its illegaly for any external lights ot be visable while driving that are NOt your stock lights.
Old 09-22-2004
Registered!!

BERGER will become famous soon enoughBERGER will become famous soon enough
i've seen a lot of cars here where i am with their neons on while driving and there's cops all over the place, i've been waiting to get pulled over for no front plates on my car but still haven't yet and i've had cops asking me stuff about my car and other cops just drive by..but for neons i dunno...
Old 09-22-2004
Registered!!

I dont think its just being a chick that has let me off so far... but thanks for thinking that... lol... all my bulbs are not visible... the actual bulbs are hidden in my stock skirts... there is just a nice glow going... a couple of undercover/non undercover police have just given me the dirty looks when I pull up beside them, and that is all... and a couple of smiles here and there... I was under the understanding that as long as the bulbs are not visible and are not flashing/dancing it's all good?!?
Been 3 weeks and haven't been pulled over yet... Any bets as to when the frist time I get pulled over is?!?

Last edited by Nibsicle; 09-23-2004 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

bakablo is an unknown quantity at this point
i have blue turn signals and hyper white on my turn signals in the front and have gotten an approximate of 8 tickets regarding those lightas..... but Ive won all of them.
*shrug*
your call
Old 09-29-2004
SiG
Registered!!

SiG will become famous soon enoughSiG will become famous soon enough
what have ya said to win them in court, bakablo?
Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

bakablo is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont know.... hehe...
since im unionized by my workplace they pay for free lawyers... so I dont even attend.. I just goto work and central ticket defense takes care of the rest... then they just call me to let me know how it went and if I have to pay a dfference or not...
Old 10-04-2004

Si2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really nice
I talk to an officer about this befor and he stated that in Ontario low glow is legal as long as the tubes aren't visible and you tuck them in your bumper
Old 10-06-2004
SiG
Registered!!

what ya mean, "low glow"?
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

EssEss21 is an unknown quantity at this point
immmm movin to canada.
Old 10-06-2004
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
if you get busted with them, and tell them in court they've been taken off, you'll get off.. or like me, $15 ticket, $35 in court costs.. lol..
Old 10-11-2004
SiG
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SiG
what ya mean, "low glow"?
Anyone have an answer for me?
Old 10-12-2004

Tofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TeLLy
Welcome to the site. Technically the cops can give you a ticket for blue lights, being that blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles. Thing is, the law says that FLASHING blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles, and I'm sure your neons don't flash. Regardless, the cops can hit you with some kind of improper lighting ticket, at their discretion. You MIGHT be able to beat it in court, but do you REALLY want to have to go to court over neons? I just keep mine switched off on highways and public roads, turning them on when I get into wherever it is I want to show off.
Hate to say it, but you're probably not getting hassled because you're a girl. I get followed around all the time by the polizia. It's a sh1tty standard, but that's the way the game is played in Southern Ontario I guess.
I thought blue was for snow removel. Red is for police.

Being a girl you get away with alot. I have been pulled over for 26kms, 42kms and 35kms over the limit. the 26kms I got off with only 15kms over. The 2nd and 3rd I got off with. The 3rd I even had expired insurance papers. All I do is smile and be honest with them.
To answer your question..I heard you should not drive with them on. I have seen people driving with them and the cops did nothing.

Edit: No sexual contact is made with the officer. I have to make this clear cause thats what all my friends think. At no time is a bj involved.
Old 10-12-2004

Si2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really niceSi2NV is just really nice
Originally Posted by EssEss21
immmm movin to canada.
I'll take your place in Chicago then!

oh and by "low glow" I mean neons
Old 10-13-2004
SiG
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Si2NV
I'll take your place in Chicago then!

oh and by "low glow" I mean neons
Thanks
Old 10-13-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Tofast4me
I thought blue was for snow removel. Red is for police.

Being a girl you get away with alot. I have been pulled over for 26kms, 42kms and 35kms over the limit. the 26kms I got off with only 15kms over. The 2nd and 3rd I got off with. The 3rd I even had expired insurance papers. All I do is smile and be honest with them.
To answer your question..I heard you should not drive with them on. I have seen people driving with them and the cops did nothing.

Edit: No sexual contact is made with the officer. I have to make this clear cause thats what all my friends think. At no time is a bj involved.
I guess snowplows count as emergency vehicles too... But yeah flashing red is for coppers and firemen and ambulances.

Man, being a girl must be sweet. Hell, if I woke up a woman tomorrow I wouldn't leave the house.....I'd be like "so what do THESE do...."
Old 10-13-2004

Tofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of lightTofast4me is a glorious beacon of light
I don't wanna be a man for a day. I just want the ***** for a day.

Last edited by Tofast4me; 10-27-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-31-2004

K so I ran into a friend of mine that is a cop. He said neons are not legal to drive with.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

Speaking of all this... I had my first lil run in with the Police the other night...

Ok, so I have had my underbody lights on for well over a month now, passing by ever so many Police and OPP, and during a ride check @ Homer Watson near the new St. Marys HighSchool... (in Kitchener) This the first time that they decide to hassle me...

The conversation went like this:

Officer: Good evening ma’am, can you turn off your blue lights for me?
Me: Sorry Sir, I can’t. That would be illegal, since my blue lights would be flashing or what you call dancing, so I am not able to turn them off while driving my vehicle on the road.
Officer: (Gives me a dirty look & goes to look at front of the car for the 2nd time) Well the lights on the sides of you car are fine, but the one on the front is illegal.
Me: Sir, I was under the impression that the law is: any forward facing visible lights on the vehicle have to be clear/white or amber.
Officer: Yes that is correct, but you are emitting blue light from the front of your car.
Me: Sir, I am aware of that, but the blue light that is showing from the front of my car, is reflecting off my rad.
Officer: Ok, but the point being, you are emitting blue forward facing light from your car.
Me: Sir, the bulbs are completely not visible, and are hidden well beneath the skirts of my car, and I was under the impression that only visible forward facing bulbs had to be clear/white amber.
Officer: (Goes to front of car for 3rd time and bends down a bit to try to see the bulbs... obviously he can’t) But, you are still emitting blue light from the front of your car.
Me: Sir, yes, but the bulbs are not visible, and the light is reflecting off of my rad.
Officer: You know what I suggest?
Me: Sir, what do you suggest?
Officer: I suggest that you get a switch to turn off that front light.
Me: Sir, I will do my best.
Officer: Have a good night and drive safe.
Me: Thank you Sir, you too (don't know wtf I was thinking with that response)

So in all of the yes Sir's and no Sir's, telling me that the lights are illegal on my car, holding up traffic for 5 mins behind me, doesn’t even once ask me if I had anything to drink all night, and is more worried about my lights then the purpose of the RIDE program...

Meh, it will just make driving a lil more interesting for the next lil while...