Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

DIY INSTALL: TURBO TIMER

Old 04-24-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
DIY INSTALL: TURBO TIMER

I used GReddy's Full Auto Timer for this. I don't know if other timers offer all of the same features as the F.A.T, but this DIY explains how to hook them up. GReddy doesn't make an ignition harness for our cars so it requires splicing.

Tools:
Philips head screwdriver
Splice connectors
Large Plyers
Electrical Tape (optional)
Handsaw (optional)

1. The first thing you have to do is get the shroud off from around the steering column. This is done by removing the three philips head screws in the bottom of it. Then you have to gently pry the bottom part from the top part.

2. Once that is off, you will be able to see the ignition harness. It's 5 large wires in a brown pin connector. This can be unclipped and removed (a lot easier to work with)
The wires are as such:
12V white
STARTER black/white
IGNITION black/yellow
ACCESSORY black/red
SECOND ACCESSORY white/red

3. The GReddy Harness has 3 main wires: Red:12V, Green:ON, Blue: ACCESSORY
You have to actually cut off the end of the harness connector because they don't make a harness for our cars. I removed the spades from the connector and found out you can't just sqeeze them into the ignition connector, so I did have to cut them.

4. The wires are installed like the following:
GReddy RED WIRE gets spliced into the ingnition WHITE WIRE (12V)
GReddy GREEN WIRE gets spliced into the ingition BLACK/YELLOW WIRE (ON)
GReddy BLUE WIRE gets spliced into the ingition BLACK/RED WIRE (ACCESORY)
In all honesty, the blue wire doesn't seem to do anything. With or without it, it still works the same on our cars. I say just install it anyway. Even though the splice connectors snap shut, I still wrapped them with electrical tape anyway.

EDIT: MadWheel says the blue wire can be used to run a 12V accessory if you have something.

5. The next thing to do is ground the connection. It comes with a wire attached. Just find a piece of the chassis to bolt it onto. I used a bolt on the left side of the steering column.

6. At this point it should work. Start the car. It should beep and light up with a red screen and then a blue screen. If you setup the timer... it should keep the car running when you turn off the ignition, and start it's countdown.

7. Next comes hooking up the parking break feature (brown wire) and the vehicle speed sensor ooption (purple wire). To do this, you will probably need the DIYs on:
Removing the center console and removing the headunit. After you remove these... it should look like this:
Beautiful isn't it. Those red arrows point to where the wires can run through. Left arrow points to where the whole harness can come through. Bottom arrow for the parking break wire and right arrow for the speed sensor wire.

8. Run the brown wire to the parking break. You will see a bolt that drops onto a plate when you release the parking break. (Just remember to have your car in gear or in park when messing around with this) That plate is a 12V plate. If you remove the plastic connector from it, you will see that there is a hole in the metal. It stripped the wire and wound it around the hole. I then put the plastic connector back on over it. The Parking Break Feature is a safety feature. Supposes you leave your car and it it's is still idling in countown. If someone somehow got into your car, if they release the parking break to move the car, the car will shut off. Pretty good IMO.

9. The purple wire is for the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It needs to be tapped into the ECU which is behind the glovebox. I have to leave this out, because I haven't done it yet. It let's the Timer give a readout of your speed in km/h. It's a Japanese product if you are wondering why. Here's a pic of the wire though coming through the glove box. The ECU is in the background.

10. Now it is time to do the mounting. I decided to put it in the 1/2 DIN pocket below my haedunit. Since I already had my stereo out anyway, I took the plastic off around it. I sawed a small square out in the back. It's big enough to fit the harness connector through. That way, if I wanted to take the electronics out of my car, I wouldn't have to remove the control console to uninstall it.

11. After all is said and done, put your car back together, and plug in the harness connector to the connector coming out of the back of the timer. Have fun!

Last edited by Boosted2k2; 05-13-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2003
Registered!!

lucky13matt is an unknown quantity at this point
GREAT DIY
Old 04-25-2003

Thanks. I still can't figure out the ECU though. What is the orientation... Connector A is at the top or the bottom?
Old 04-26-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
km/h??? No mph??? If I buy a turbo timer, then I'll make sure it has a mph readout. Then again, I have the speedometer. LOL Maybe it does other things with that though? Good DIY. I'll probably use it when I get mine installed. Don't know which one to buy yet, but I'll get there...
Old 04-26-2003

I dunno, maybe it's just mine. I think it was imported though... still has the pricetag in Yen. Same with my type s bov. It probably does use the speed reading to suggest a countdown. I know it uses the voltage to do it. When I give it gas, the seconds go up. When I floor it, they go up faster. When I take my foot off or sit at idle, they start to go down. So, I would assume the speed sensor might help do the same. I figured km/h because it is a Japanese product and not too many countries use mph. I don't know though.
Old 04-28-2003
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
of course! You write this the day after i install my Apex'i turbo timer. Anyways, i found a simpler way (if you have the factory alarm. On the ignition connector, just splice into the alarm wires for the accessory and 12v power. It worked great on mine.
Old 04-28-2003

Originally posted by Catalyst
of course! You write this the day after i install my Apex'i turbo timer. Anyways, i found a simpler way (if you have the factory alarm. On the ignition connector, just splice into the alarm wires for the accessory and 12v power. It worked great on mine.
I don't have the factory alarm. But that sounds pretty much the same I think, only it sounds like you spliced into the harness and I spliced directly into the ignition wires. The hardest part to all of this is mounting it. Splicing is semi-easy on the ignition wires because there isn't a lot of space to work. But the hardest part is just removing the center console ( if you have the E-brake option) and A/C controls, which, for anybody who has done that, knows it isn't even hard at all.
Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
I need to do the E-brake option. I had to go to work right after i got it done. Now i am just being too lazy to install it.
Old 05-07-2003
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
the accessory feature on the greddy harness (blue) is desinged for products such as a tachometer, which only needs power when the engine is running. You can leave it free then send it to any extra units you add later, even an safc or vafc...it could go on forever
Old 05-08-2003

Originally posted by MadWheel
the accessory feature on the greddy harness (blue) is desinged for products such as a tachometer, which only needs power when the engine is running. You can leave it free then send it to any extra units you add later, even an safc or vafc...it could go on forever
Really? I guess I can do the 12V to my gauges through that then
Old 05-08-2003
Premium Boosted Member

Old 05-13-2003

PictureTrail killed my account Anybody know where I can host the pics from for free that doesn't suck? Does anybody want to host them?

EDIT: Nevermind... hosting them in my gallery

Last edited by Boosted2k2; 05-13-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
Added to DIY section
Old 09-23-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
bringing this thread back to life-
boosted, can you find a way to get the pics back up? i'm one of those people who work better with visuals, hehe.
i just got my HKS type-1 turbo timer today...to anyone who has one, is this DIY the same for the HKS? or are some things different for that? also, can i install it even if i dont have the turbo in yet?
Old 09-23-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
what pics u need?
i have the same timer(greddy..) ill take pics right now .. just tell me..
Old 09-23-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
actually... we're both idiots.. cause LOOK FOOL... lmao..

http://www.7thgencivic.com/modules.p...howpage&pid=61
Old 09-23-2003

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
LOL, oh man, noobie mistake, thanks!
Old 11-02-2003
Banned

sexcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have this turbo timer, i just don't know the options it has, all i know how to use is to pick how long it will be on, i have it at 50seconds... anyone know an online manual in ENGLISH? mine is jap
Old 11-03-2003

hit the "M" button and it goes through these modes in order...
turbo timer function
speed(in km/h)
speed warning
rpms
rpm warning
speed/distance times
stopwatch (for laps)
battery voltage
hitting the "S" button in different modes selects different functions
hitting "S" in turbo timer mode selects
manual mode (you select the time it counts down in increments of 30secs)
memory mode (memory 1=1min, memory 2=3mins)
auto mode (determines time by monitoring RPMS)

hitting "S" button in speed/distances time mode...
(distances)
0-100m
0-200m
0-400m <---quarter mile
200-400m
(speeds)
0-100km/h
0-150km/h
0-200km/h
50-100km/h
100-150 km/h
the "T1" and "T2" buttons are used for things like starting the time on a run, clearing times, setting warning levels, etc...

yours should of came with directions, i got the japan spec one as well and mine did so hope this helps!

edit-oh for f*cks sake!! i forgot this thread is about the GReddy turbo timer and not the HKS, so if you have the GReddy, nevermind this is for the HKS...but i dont care i typed all this crap so i'm leaving it up here! lol

Last edited by EnProceso; 11-03-2003 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2003
Premium Boosted Member

I was like... I bought the HKS, mine has the same features (jap-spec) and I bought it because Greddy didn't have those features. Phew. But yeah, HKS owns.
Old 11-06-2003
Banned

damn greddy
Old 11-07-2003

It's a goddamn turbo timer... how many options do you need?
Top of my head?

P-1 and P-2 (Manual Presets 1 and 2) --- 0-9:59min

-H- and -L- (High and Low Auto Mode) --- Auto times from a manual set low 0-1:30min

Vol (Charging Voltage) --- Includes high and low warnings

Spd (km/h Vehicle Speed) --- Includes High warning

Lap (Stopwatch) --- Just what it says

Attack mode --- Measures time for:
0-200m
0-400m
200-400m
0-100km/h
0-200km/h
50-100 and **** like that.

It's basically the same as the HKS.

You have 3 buttons though:

|o[_____]oo|

To select between categories, push and hold the power button while pushing the 2nd button to get to the category. One you are in the category, holding power and pushing the 3rd button chooses the sub categories. The 3rd button alone will set the option for what you want (ie. increasing time, counting a lap, etc etc)
Old 11-07-2003

Originally posted by MadWheel
I was like... I bought the HKS, mine has the same features (jap-spec) and I bought it because Greddy didn't have those features. Phew. But yeah, HKS owns.
They have basically the same features
Old 11-07-2003
Banned

sweet! thanks, i didn't know how to get to any of the options! gosh i'm stupid... well i'm gonna play with it later on tonight thanks
Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got the greddy tt. How does my after market alarm work with all this?