Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Automatic Transmission To 5-Speed Manual Transmission Swap Possible?

Old 09-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kevin2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Automatic Transmission To 5-Speed Manual Transmission Swap Possible?

Hey Everyone, Is it possible to swap from a automatic transmission to a 5-Speed manual transmission in a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX? I have been experiencing problems with my automatic. Like when i am on the highway it does not shift in time to the next gear it just keeps it in the same gear and revs plenty! This happened after we took it in for a transmission overhaul and it seems like the guy did not do a good job! Before the overhaul the transmission was slipping like crazy! it could not climb hills! so i was just wondering if its possible to swap from A automatic transmission To a 5-Speed Manual Transmission? any help is accepted

Kevin
Old 09-08-2012
Registered!!

raymondxcho is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Automatic Transmission To 5-Speed Manual Transmission Swap Possible?

Yes. There's even a DIY just for this. Should search before asking.
Old 09-09-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Possible? yes. Worth it? only if your auto trannys dead. (at least in my opinion)
Old 09-09-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

A decent manual d17 will cost you around 1000-1500. Labor will cost somewhere between 500-1000 dollars.

Itll be cheaper if you just sold your civic and buy one that's already manual
Old 09-10-2012
Registered!!

kevin2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Automatic Transmission To 5-Speed Manual Transmission Swap Possible?

Yeah The transmission is like half Dying every time you climb steep hills you can smell the oil burning like is that a bad thing? like every time you put it in drive it clunks and jerks really hard and when you shift from drive to reverse it take for ever to engage and at time it stalls
Old 09-10-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kevin2001
Yeah The transmission is like half Dying every time you climb steep hills you can smell the oil burning like is that a bad thing? like every time you put it in drive it clunks and jerks really hard and when you shift from drive to reverse it take for ever to engage and at time it stalls
Soon my son, soon you can join the dark side.
Old 09-11-2012
Registered!!

raymondxcho is an unknown quantity at this point

Man I'm curious as to what that even feels like in an automatic. Good luck tho
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Delsole is an unknown quantity at this point

yes its possible. you need some stuff like the pedal assembly, ecu ect...

why not put in a k20 with six speed limited trip?
Old 09-19-2012
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

Need to source a new sub frame and mounts, may even axles too
Old 09-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You will need more then just the transmission.
In addition to the actual transmission you will need.

Manual Subframe
Transmission Mount
Shifter
Shift Linkage
Master Cylinder
Manual Axle (drivers side)
Slave Cylinder
Pedal Assembly
Starter
Clutch
Flywheel
Pressure plate
Manual Center Console (shifter bezel piece)
Manual ECU
Manual Engine Harness
Manual Cluster
Manual Dash Harness

Some pieces are optional, however if you wanted the FULL conversion that is what you will need. Besides the actual labor.
Old 09-20-2012
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light

I have all these parts if interested
Old 09-27-2012
Registered!!

Nitrous1024 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Everyone, Is it possible to swap from a automatic transmission to a 5-Speed manual transmission in a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX?
Most definitely. I did a swap on my seventh gen civic months ago since I couldn't afford a complete K20 swap.

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Possible? yes. Worth it?
Since it's a matter of personal preference at the end of the day (and how deep your pockets are), the thrill of the finished product is worth it at the expense of the reduced resale value of the vehicle. IMHO, there is nothing like the excitement of changing gears in a manual gearbox and being able to control the car the way you want to.
Old 09-28-2012
Registered!!

poserkidsrus is an unknown quantity at this point

yes its not very hard. in addition to that parts list, you may need things like the change wire stay bracket and stay plates, which are available from the dealer. you will need the whole clutch set up, which is the hard line, the (used) m/c, and the bracket with the m/c reservoir. you also may need a slave cylinder unless yours came on the transmission. i finished my swap about 6 weeks ago, and its been nothing but fun.

you will need a different front motor mount and transmission side mount BRACKET.
the mount is the same, its the bracket that's different.
you will also need the extra bolt for the bracket, cause its held on by two studs and a bolt.
the front motor mount you will need an extra bolt too, though it will work with only the 2 from your old mount.
there is some other **** too but its a lot to type.

the whole thing came out to around 1000 for me, 250 for trans, 100 for subframe, and 100 for extra motor (flywheel, clutch setup with bolts) 150 for various **** from the salvage yard (driver m/t axle, shifter console, shifter box, clutch hardline).
also like i said before, buy a USED CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER. they dont make the pieces to connect the master cylinder to the hardline any more.
i had to spend a few hundred at the dealer for little bits and pieces.

you can pm me if you want, i still have all this **** fresh in my head. its not a hard project, esp if you dont have to piece it together like i did. took me about half the summer working a few days per week.
Old 09-28-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by poserkidsrus
its been nothing but fun.
I'll second this. The only thing that I didn't do was to replace my automatic intake manifold and idle air control valve to the manual one since I'm using a manual ECU and the car idles poorly sometimes when I pause at traffic lights.

Did you do anything to your idle air control valve to make it work?
Old 09-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I though the intake manifolds were the same?
Old 09-28-2012
Registered!!

I don't know about the seventh generation D-series, but the previous generations had the IACV at two different locations. The manual IACV has two wires while the automatic one has three.

Since I had plugged in a manual ECU to my automatic loom, there is supposed to be something that needs to be changed in the loom and the IACV. Strangely enough, the ECU isn't throwing any error codes although the engine is running rich and idles poorly sometimes during a hill-start or when stopping at traffic lights.
Old 09-29-2012

^with the 7th gens u swap ecu AND wiring harness. its pretty much everything.
Old 09-29-2012
Registered!!

poserkidsrus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nitrous1024
I'll second this. The only thing that I didn't do was to replace my automatic intake manifold and idle air control valve to the manual one since I'm using a manual ECU and the car idles poorly sometimes when I pause at traffic lights.

Did you do anything to your idle air control valve to make it work?
i didnt do anything to the wiring except wire the old transmission range computer to park. i also had to remove my ignition switch solenoid because it kept locking my key until i pulled the battery cable. neither of these things have caused any issues, and my car idles around 6-700. i didnt swap ecus or wire harnesses. the only reason i may switch them is 1. for the ****ing light in the dash and 2. for the engine to stop injecting fuel during coasting, because right now it doesnt know its a manual. also i'd like to get rid of that tc lockup code.