Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Syncro modding

Old 03-06-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough
Syncro modding

So my dad used to drag race back when he was a kid, and he's told me quite a few small tricks to making your 1/4 mile times shorter. One of which, was removing every other syncro tooth. I know back then it made a big difference in shifting times, especially since you had half the amount of teeth to mesh during a shift.

My question to everyone else is if anyone has tried this mod? I know it will wear down the syncros, but has anyone tried it and actually noticed a difference on the track? I mean, if there isn't a noticeable difference on the newer transmissions, then there's obviously no reason to do it. Just wondering if anyone else has done it.

If no one has tried it, and there's demand for a DIY/review, I'll do it. Just will need to get myself a parts washer and some more tools first.
Old 03-06-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Syncro modding

no. no one messes with your syncros in a civic (unless ur fixing a faulty one); and there are a few reasons why:

1. you have a civic, not a drag race car.
2. you have a civic, its got like 100hp... on a good day.
3. you have a civic, shifting faster isnt going to improve ur 60sec 0-60mph by much
4. you have a civic, our transmissions (auto) isnt that great to begin with
5. you have a civic, its designed for fuel economy, not speed. the only real feasible way to make it faster is to boost or kswap it. and even then, doing this mod wont benifit you because you are not pushing 700+whp like drag cars that are trying to shave off fractions of a second.
6. you have a civic. dont put a ricer R34 body kit on it.
Old 03-06-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

lololololol
Old 03-06-2012

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Sheesh... harsh much? Lol. I only ask because I thought it would be a fun project really. Plus, when I do a k swap, I'd like to engage the gears with more ease. I don't even plan on doing a drag race anyways, I'm more into track racing, so quicker shifting would help imo. Only real reason I'd think it would help is because of the speed your transmission will be spinning at. That's all.

And... no need to tell me what body kit I should/shouldn't put on my car. I don't care what other people think of my car's looks. It's my car, not theirs. I just like the way that particular body kit looks on the em2. Why do you care anyways? It has absolutely not pertinence to my original question. Not pissed, just don't see the relevance here.
Old 03-06-2012

hahah relax roxie. i know you're new so let me introduce myself.

i am sl33pyriceboi, and i am joking most of the time. if u havent realized my comment was very sarcastic and playful (i obviously failed that part, but i should have known better that you're not accustom to my personality)

most the time i just tease n poke fun, so just take my comments light hearted as i never aim to degrade anyone.

the #6 was my humorous attempt to show u that ived looked at ur profile and know you're "status" as much as you've displayed. this shows that i actually took the time cuz i cared (now we are getting real analytical). and if u notice i winked at you on the later post.

and trust me, u wanna talk about rice? lol.....ask any member here about my car -__- bwahah...

so take it easy peasy, and dont be hissy pissy. now we are straight
Old 03-06-2012

here is the straight and serious answer to ur Q:

there is no point in doing that to our cars because it wont benefit the drivability in any way. plus, it is much more complicated than just shaving off teeth.
Old 03-06-2012

I know you were having fun, just didn't see any relevance to the question is all I'm one who just prefers a straight answer is all. I have a good sense of humor, just not when I'm trying to get a more serious question answered lol.

And I didn't think it would make much of a difference, just thought I'd ask since neither myself, nor my dad, thought it would matter in these cars. He just mentioned it since we were talking about syncros a couple days ago. I am thinking of doing it later on anyways, just out of curiosity. Maybe when I'm about to swap out the engine, and have time to kill. I know what to do, and how to do it, plus I have help. Maybe I'll just do it before tossing the D block for the amusement, and to see what the newer transmissions look like inside haha.
Old 03-06-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Roxie
I know you were having fun, just didn't see any relevance to the question is all I'm one who just prefers a straight answer is all. I have a good sense of humor, just not when I'm trying to get a more serious question answered lol.

And I didn't think it would make much of a difference, just thought I'd ask since neither myself, nor my dad, thought it would matter in these cars. He just mentioned it since we were talking about syncros a couple days ago. I am thinking of doing it later on anyways, just out of curiosity. Maybe when I'm about to swap out the engine, and have time to kill. I know what to do, and how to do it, plus I have help. Maybe I'll just do it before tossing the D block for the amusement, and to see what the newer transmissions look like inside haha.
I've never heard of it being done on a Honda transmission, or any import trans for that matter, it strikes me as an old school drag racer trick and those are somewhat slow to penetrate our world. Most people who drag race Hondas and are running extremely aggressive amounts of power run a dog box, or occasionally just swap in a couple aftermarket gears to replace the weakest ones.

You might enjoy this article, Roxie.
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...n/viewall.html
Old 03-06-2012

Yeah, it is an old drag trick. Since I've never heard of it done on an import either, I thought I'd see if anyone had experience with it by chance. Definitely one of those things I'd expect from the old guys you see with their Camaros or kit car Shelby's.

I'll take a look at that. I know a small amount about those transmissions, but I still think I'll have some fun with this transmission before I swap it out. Who knows, might prefer it, might hate it.
Old 03-06-2012

It might seriously be is PITA to take the engine and trans apart, grind down some gears, put it all back together and see how much you Fked up the transmission. Lol
Old 03-06-2012

Which is why I'll do it right before the swap

I can take the engine and tranny apart in a few hours now, it's a bit difficult with one person, but whatever. I'd only do it for the entertainment value. One of those "what happens if I stick my finger in this electric socket?" experiments.
Old 03-06-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Which is why I'll do it right before the swap

I can take the engine and tranny apart in a few hours now, it's a bit difficult with one person, but whatever. I'd only do it for the entertainment value. One of those "what happens if I stick my finger in this electric socket?" experiments.
I like the way you think.

I learned a lot about my car from taking it apart when I was bored, then panicking and realizing I don't remember what goes where, and desperately trying to put it back together.

In theory it would work, but I think this is one of those theories that might not transition to practice well.
Old 03-06-2012

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I like the way you think.

I learned a lot about my car from taking it apart when I was bored, then panicking and realizing I don't remember what goes where, and desperately trying to put it back together.

In theory it would work, but I think this is one of those theories that might not transition to practice well.
I like the way I think too... lol. Haven't run into many issues yet with this thought process, YET.

Luckily, I have plenty of help for this, so I won't have too many issues. I think it will be like most mods ricer kids do: in theory, your car is a million times faster; but in reality, it's still a slow *** civic
Old 03-06-2012

Get a room you two
Old 03-06-2012

Econo suites?? Or are you paying for it?
Old 03-06-2012

Mindbomber will pay as long as you putout. I call it
Old 03-06-2012

Does he prefer torque or horsepower?
Old 03-06-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I sorta like the way Roxie thinks too. I guess that also applies to her wanting to tinker.
Old 03-06-2012

Does he prefer torque or horsepower?
oh that bad boy's got massive torque.....and since HP is a derivative of torque, he'll have your valves banging.

looks like max just joined in. bwahaha
Old 03-06-2012

Originally Posted by maxtierney
I sorta like the way Roxie thinks too. I guess that also applies to her wanting to tinker.
LMAO

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
oh that bad boy's got massive torque.....and since HP is a derivative of torque, he'll have your valves banging.

looks like max just joined in. bwahaha
I feel like Suki... only I suck at drawing... well, anything lol.
Old 03-06-2012

LMAO

I feel like Suki... only I suck at drawing... well, anything lol.
now i like you
Old 03-06-2012

Lol, betcha say that to all the girls. By the way, been meaning to ask you something: does this guy describe your car right? Lol :P

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1204& transactionid=1331098547-1849821022&posted_by=Roxie_www.civicforums.com&you tube_video_id=Om0IqXOvykY[/autostream]

Last edited by Roxie; 03-07-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2012

^bwahahahah....

1. i only say it to pretty girls
2. yes, that is exactly my car! i even had spiky hair on my car.... but now, everything is bald
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Lol, betcha say that to all the girls. By the way, been meaning to ask you something: does this guy describe your car right? Lol :P
Ohhh man, that's exactly what happened when I cam out of the theatre after seeing the 4th FnF - At least half the cars where riced up to the max and everyone thought it was a race to get out of the parking lot...hilarious! I made sure to drive slow so everyone could peep my sweet whip

And fyi, I find Suki to be totally unattractive, just sayin :P
Old 03-07-2012

who the hell is suki?
Old 03-07-2012

^bwahahahah....

1. i only say it to pretty girls
2. yes, that is exactly my car! i even had spiky hair on my car.... but now, everything is bald
I kind of figured Hey, my car is going to take it one step further... I'll have a BODY KIT

Originally Posted by Aetoc
Ohhh man, that's exactly what happened when I cam out of the theatre after seeing the 4th FnF - At least half the cars where riced up to the max and everyone thought it was a race to get out of the parking lot...hilarious! I made sure to drive slow so everyone could peep my sweet whip

And fyi, I find Suki to be totally unattractive, just sayin :P
Oh yeah, I love how all the high schoolers think these movies are sooooo realistic. I bet autozone, and the local shops have a hayday after each of these movies comes out. I bet the next one will be sponsored by O'Reilly's or something hahaha. And FYI, I think Suki is sexy... but I am a lesbian, and she IS the kind of girl I go for. Yeah... sorry boys lol.

who the hell is suki?

Last edited by Roxie; 03-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I definitely DO NOT find Suki attractive at all...
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

something hahaha. And FYI, I think Suki is sexy... but I am a lesbian, and she IS the kind of girl I go for. Yeah... sorry boys lol.
One word - butterface (but-her-face) - If you know what I mean...that being said, as a person, she's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind dating a girl who likes Hondas as much as I do lol.
Old 03-07-2012

id hit it.
Old 03-07-2012

lol your're "lesbian" ???

where have i heard that before? just about every girl who goes on forums claim she is in order to divert all the leg humpers away. nice try tho. :]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Syncro modding