Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Stage 1 Cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Stage 1 Cams

There's a continual stream of new members joining the forum looking for a simple and inexpensive way to make their ES1, ES2 and EM2 civics faster, dropping in a stage 1 cam is the answer.

What models can a stage 1 cam be used in?
Stage 1 cams are designed to be run in D17a2 engines, found in 01-05 Acura ELs and 01-05 Canadian SI/American EX models.

I want a stage 1 cam, but I have an LX, what are my options?
In order to run a Brian Crower cam on a D17a1 engine, found in the 01-05 LX/DX/VP/SE/HX you must swap the head to one from a D17a2. A DIY article on the swap can be found here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...p-ex-vtec.html

How much do stage 1 cams cost, do they require any supporting, what gains can I expect?
Brian Crower charges $350;
no supporting mods are required;
with I/H/E you can expect to make 20-30 whp.

If a stage 1 is that good, why not get a stage 2?
A stage 2 is significantly more aggressive than a stage 1 and therefore requires supporting mods that add to the cost.
Stage 2 also costs $350;
Titanium valves and springs are required, Brian Crower charges $320;
Engine management is required; the only acceptable option is k-pro, $900;
A K-pro modified cam gear is required, $180;
Tuning is required, 1 hour on a dyno is approximately $150 depending on where you go.

Please direct future stage 1 questions to this thread, I'd like it to become the definitive information source for people looking to do this mod.

Anyone with a dyno sheet available please post it up!

Considering ordering your camshaft directly from Brian Crower?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-com-rant.html

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-04-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-01-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Stage 1 Cams

good info bomber
Old 06-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

this is from another forum:
Originally Posted by ForcedFedEm2
That would be my old dyno number.. And I was on a heartbreak dyno

D17a1 bottom end
EX head
Crower Stage 1 cam
Injen SRI
Megan Header/cat-delete
Greddy Evo2 Cat-back
Stock ECU

Old 06-01-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

I understand you need an EX head to put in a Stage 1 cam gear.

I've heard that an A1 block with an A2 head performs better then a A2 head and block. I've also heard that all Blocks are the same, only the heads are different? Which of these statements are true?
Old 06-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shift-E
I understand you need an EX head to put in a Stage 1 cam gear.
I heard Gude makes cams with comparable durations to the BC stage 1 that work in a a1 head, I'm not sure why anyone would want to build a lx head though.

I've heard that an A1 block with an A2 head performs better then a A2 head and block.
In theory the a1 block is better suited for turbo, because the stock pistons in it have a lower compression ratio; the a2 block would be better for a naturally aspirated engine with it's higher compression ratio.

I've also heard that all Blocks are the same, only the heads are different? Which of these statements are true?
There are a number of differences between the a1 and a2 block:
- d17a1 is 9.5:1 compression and D17a2 is 9.9:1 compression;
- The oil pan studs are different.
- The a2 pan is made of a different material and is a higher capacity than the a1 to accommodate the demands of the vtec system.
- some of the oil passages are are different, not 100% sure on this one.
Old 06-01-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Thanks MB.

So basically the only advantage to an A1+A2 head would be if I wanted a turbo, if not then just stick with getting an EX? I don't plan on turboing so I would do without that :P This is all stuff I'm considering for if/when I want to get an EX.

And Sdaidoji

If he's got an A1 block and A2 head and the stock ECU, shouldn't he also have a vafcII? Otherwise whats the point in the head swap?
Old 06-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MindBomber
- The a2 pan is made of a different material and is a higher capacity than the a1 to accommodate the demands of the vtec system.
one.
You mean the crappy Vtec-E system? Not crappy per say, but not true Vtec... I used to love feeling vtec engage in the H22A, the sound change was awesome.
Old 06-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

And Sdaidoji

If he's got an A1 block and A2 head and the stock ECU, shouldn't he also have a vafcII? Otherwise whats the point in the head swap?
i think he just put a EX ECU or he swapped in a A1 block - he is now turbo

- some of the oil passages are are different, not 100% sure on this one.
apparently yes. compression and oil routing were the first things that came to mind. how different is what i don't know right now...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 06-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Back on topic..

sdaidoji, I expect a full review once you get yours installed.
Old 06-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Back on topic..

sdaidoji, I expect a full review once you get yours installed.
as soon as i can get the head off- last snag line, but the cam is just waiting
I will try to snag some pics of the differences if i can find a good angle, and some more for the install - don't remember seeing some details like the greasing.
the good part is that besides the maintenance work, there will be no changes in the car whatsoever.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 06-01-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2011

Pretty excited to hear the outcome of this Not gonna lie lol.
Old 06-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

follow a picture comparing the 2. Crower is in the left. There seems to be a slight wider cam top, and the lift is slightly higher.
Not very noticeable visually, but that IS the reason it does NOT require a EMS/springs/retainers.
Name:  CopiedeDSC09586.jpg
Views: 5572
Size:  93.2 KB

Unfortunately, i could not find a better angle to compare them... Will try again tonight.
Old 06-03-2011

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
follow a picture comparing the 2. Crower is in the left. There seems to be a slight wider cam top, and the lift is slightly higher.
Not very noticeable visually, but that IS the reason it does NOT require a EMS/springs/retainers.

Unfortunately, i could not find a better angle to compare them... Will try again tonight.
I can barely tell the difference, they're almost identical! That's probably due to my untrained eye haha. Not enough experience in the aftermarket world :P
Old 06-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Added more info, excellent comparison pics sdaidoji.
Old 06-04-2011
Registered!!

ricanswt is on a distinguished road

Actually just got the Stage 1 installed a few week ago (5/14/2011), but didn't take pictures. I don't want to judge it just yet, since my installer didn't adjust the valve clearances right (adjusted cold instead of hot). I am however comparing my mileage before and after though. Will post after my next fill up.
Old 06-04-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You're supposed to adjust 'em cold
Old 06-04-2011
Registered!!

ricanswt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You're supposed to adjust 'em cold
You are right for the stock cam. Crower cam demands a hot clearance adjustment.

See Crower's Cam Card Finder and enter 63461.

The cam card specifies:
Intake Clearance Hot: 0.006
Exhaust Clearance Hot: 0.008

Anyway when I get my next oil change, I'll get it adjusted hot.
Old 06-04-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, good to know
Old 06-06-2011
Yeeg

Yeeg is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse my noobieness, but my knowledge in cam gears isn't that great. What exactly does the intake/exhaust hot/cold clearance mean?
Old 06-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yeeg
Excuse my noobieness, but my knowledge in cam gears isn't that great. What exactly does the intake/exhaust hot/cold clearance mean?
Are you familiar with gapping spark plugs to ensure they are performing optimally?

I hope so, because that's the basis of my explination, just like spark plugs the intake and exhaust valves inside your engines head operate optimally at a set distance between the two surfaces. Normally a car needs to sit overnight before doing a valve clearance to ensure it's completely cold, since the expansion of metal interferes with getting the proper clearance. Strangely, brian crower requires valve clearances be done hot, i have no idea why..

If your a visual leaner, check this valve clearance diy pictorial out:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...val-video.html.
Old 06-09-2011

Sdaidoji, whats the word on your project?
Old 06-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Sorry, right now in South Carolina (since monday), driving a company car (accord 97 - wonderful V-6 with double wishbone front that oversteers in tight u-turns ) and be back tomorrow to TN, where miata and civic parts should have arrived for reassemblyin vic and disassembly/assembly in the miata (need to pick them up at UPS/FEDEX and DHL...) and some house inspections due next week for mortgage rate reduction, so hopefully will re-assemble vic sometime next week if lucky...
6 hours drive to here, 6 hours back to TN tomorrow, plus the 20 hours from QC to TN, so in 2 weeks, i have about 32 hours inside a car or 2000 miles... Aaaargh! Working like a dog 2nd week i am back.... Wah!
Old 06-09-2011

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Sorry, right now in South Carolina (since monday), driving a company car (accord 97 - wonderful V-6 with double wishbone front that oversteers in tight u-turns ) and be back tomorrow to TN, where miata and civic parts should have arrived for reassemblyin vic and disassembly/assembly in the miata (need to pick them up at UPS/FEDEX and DHL...) and some house inspections due next week for mortgage rate reduction, so hopefully will re-assemble vic sometime next week if lucky...
6 hours drive to here, 6 hours back to TN tomorrow, plus the 20 hours from QC to TN, so in 2 weeks, i have about 32 hours inside a car or 2000 miles... Aaaargh! Working like a dog 2nd week i am back.... Wah!
Wow, that's a busy schedule. No rush then, just anxious to see how it turns out haha. I hope your trips weren't too hard on you! That sounds exhausting :S
Old 06-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

OK, after several snags in the Timing belt stuff, frozen bolts, stretched bolts, broken stuff, stuff that i did break during the instal, stuff i forgot to do and had to go back, a rocker arms separator that fell and i tightened it without noticing, etc, etc, plus all the paper work for getting back to US, the job transfer, business trips, etc, etc, i finally got it fired for the first time today.
all the recommended jobs done, first run.
All is going well, engine heated, did a few runs around the neighbourhood, all is well.
Hit the back road for a open test, step deep in the throttle and... throttle disappears. I forgot to tighten the throttle cable...
Stoop, hazard lights, tighten the cable, and another try!
When it hits 4500!!! Engine light! Bam!
Stooop, hazard lights, I had already the code reader hooked. P1259! Yeah!
Reset, get back home and wait engine cool down to check oil. It's good?!?
OK, new recheck, then new test.
Neighbourhood test- pass. Hit the road again. Doing good. Strangely enough, so far not so much ooomph from the cam.
hit the gas again. 1st, 2nd, good. 3rd, hit 4500 and BAM! P1259! yeeeaaaah!

Get home, recheck, and suuurprise! V-TEC connector was not all the way in. DuuuH!

After all this, let's go for the review! Sorry for all the story

Hit the road again, small test before and: whoa! V-TEC in had a little more ooomph. Mind you, I have a miata, 1.8, 145HP, much lighter, and i drive rentals in a normal basis, so my notes on power might not be sooo good, but changes are the most achieved so far.

There is slightly more torque in the lower range, but not so much. Let's see how it fares after the ECU adapts.
the larger difference is after the V-TEC hits. The engine raises revs much faster than before, it was hard to not to hit redline. Similar to the miata in some sorts.

It seems to spin the wheels a little more in tighter corners than before too.

I will review better after driving a little more.

The gains are not huge, mind you. But waaay more than when i put the CAI. Note: i do not have the Exhaust setup. All stock with exception to a muffler (cheap one.)
Old 06-27-2011
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

Well good to read this. I have a lot of experience with the stage 1 cam. I installed this bad boy almost 2 years ago and I've gone pretty far with it. I started with a LX all stock except muffler and intake. I swapped to a ported and polished a2 head with stage 1 cam. I was running apexi afc neo for about a year and a half. During that time I swapped to a full 2.25" headerback exhaust. No cat. I upgraded to a 7lb flywheel and a fidanza 2.1 clutch. I had full plans of upgrading to a y8 intake manifold, but never got around to it. I will say this tho. The stage 1 cam is an awesome mod. I think sdaidoji is underestimating what it can do. I never drove an EX (with vtec) until AFTER I had all my mods. With the bolt ons I had. I was quicker than a b16 SIR. Pretty awesome considering its a heavier car and only has a 6750rpm redline. That dyno saying 124.5 was on a dyno dynamics and personally i think it grossly underestimated the power gain. I would rate my car at somewhere closer to 135 or 140whp. I went from driving my car to driving another member's car which was a mostly stock EX 5spd and it was significantly slower. I know they say tuning is not required but with my ported head I did notice some good gains after playing with the apexi afc to straighten out my afrs. I actually sold the exhaust because I bought a turbo, but I've been commuting to work and haven't had the time to boost it. I am now running on hondata kpro which was an even bigger upgrade with this cam. I'm now getting around 50mpg and with stock exhaust my car is a lot faster. I would say it has almost as much top end as I had with the full exhaust except it has much more midrange. I'm not suggesting going out and getting kpro just for a stage 1 cam but its pretty freakin sweet. I really think the headerback exhaust is the secret to making power with it. The vtec just screams with the header. Its loud even with stock exhaust. If anyone has anymore questions or comments feel free to post them up and I'll try my best to answer
Old 06-27-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jamis33
Well good to read this. I have a lot of experience with the stage 1 cam. I installed this bad boy almost 2 years ago and I've gone pretty far with it. I started with a LX all stock except muffler and intake. I swapped to a ported and polished a2 head with stage 1 cam. I was running apexi afc neo for about a year and a half. During that time I swapped to a full 2.25" headerback exhaust. No cat. I upgraded to a 7lb flywheel and a fidanza 2.1 clutch. I had full plans of upgrading to a y8 intake manifold, but never got around to it. I will say this tho. The stage 1 cam is an awesome mod. I think sdaidoji is underestimating what it can do. I never drove an EX (with vtec) until AFTER I had all my mods. With the bolt ons I had. I was quicker than a b16 SIR. Pretty awesome considering its a heavier car and only has a 6750rpm redline. That dyno saying 124.5 was on a dyno dynamics and personally i think it grossly underestimated the power gain. I would rate my car at somewhere closer to 135 or 140whp. I went from driving my car to driving another member's car which was a mostly stock EX 5spd and it was significantly slower. I know they say tuning is not required but with my ported head I did notice some good gains after playing with the apexi afc to straighten out my afrs. I actually sold the exhaust because I bought a turbo, but I've been commuting to work and haven't had the time to boost it. I am now running on hondata kpro which was an even bigger upgrade with this cam. I'm now getting around 50mpg and with stock exhaust my car is a lot faster. I would say it has almost as much top end as I had with the full exhaust except it has much more midrange. I'm not suggesting going out and getting kpro just for a stage 1 cam but its pretty freakin sweet. I really think the headerback exhaust is the secret to making power with it. The vtec just screams with the header. Its loud even with stock exhaust. If anyone has anymore questions or comments feel free to post them up and I'll try my best to answer
I now have new goals for the car
Old 06-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Hey, Jamis, what's up? the explanation is below, guess thatclears what i felt the first day.

Ooook, now the ECU started to adapt to the cam. Hoooly! It's much more lively and revving faster than yesterday. If not for the darned knock sensor that i did not tighten enough, i would have pulled a little more (although it's still in break in, soo...
But yeah, now torque is coming in from lower RPM, overall power throughout the range seems pretty good. It's coming pretty close to the miata (not much power either ).
Engine is smoother, but that have to do with all the tune-up cleaning done, but engine feels more free than before. Lively would be the word.
Old 06-27-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

So since no on asked how much whp can you expect from going stage 2?
Old 06-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

it's too much work, with the additional springs and retainers, and the need for a standalone EMS, so stage 1 is prefferable - much less work and cash and not enough gains for that alone, so we are keeping this to the stage 1 cams.
To make a stage 2 idle well, you need at the least hondata, so 1k cash...
Old 06-27-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this also might be my next mod.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Cams