General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Wheelbearing DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Wheelbearing DIY

has anyone done one of these yet, or have a DIY for replacing them?
Old 11-22-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
you have to have them pressed into the hub and its not fun, a whole hub with the bearing from autozone or o'reillys will cost you about 70 bucks
Old 11-22-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
damn...least I don't have to have the axle replaced though in addition hehe
Old 11-22-2005

ok I looked online @ Autozone....anyone have any idea what all it is I need to purchase?

CIVIC wheelbearing page
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shroomster
ok I looked online @ Autozone....anyone have any idea what all it is I need to purchase?

CIVIC wheelbearing page
RTFB has been the answer for like 1,888,765,897 years!
Mines in the car and I'm not going out in the rain and cold, but sounds like you just need the bearing?
Old 11-22-2005

Originally Posted by pon55
RTFB has been the answer for like 1,888,765,897 years!
Mines in the car and I'm not going out in the rain and cold, but sounds like you just need the bearing?

I would RTFB if I wasn't poor (buy it) or someone could link me or adobe me the pages DUHR!!!
thats why I asked I would hope it would just be the bearing, but if it needs pressed I'm pretty sure i'm not gonna do this as a DIY, I'll just buy the parts and get them installed for labor rate only.....

I'm guessing bearings are bearings when it comes to our cars right? single tapered as long as it fits....
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
how do u know when u need a new wheel bearing?
Old 11-22-2005

when you hear a loud whirring sound at all speeds... some say it's mechanical sounding....
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
I would RTFB if I wasn't poor (buy it) or someone could link me or adobe me the pages DUHR!!!
thats why I asked I would hope it would just be the bearing, but if it needs pressed I'm pretty sure i'm not gonna do this as a DIY, I'll just buy the parts and get them installed for labor rate only.....

I'm guessing bearings are bearings when it comes to our cars right? single tapered as long as it fits....
The first thing to do is go to
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=FRONT+BRAKE
gives you the parts,ect!
look like a press fit in the hub which you can probably do (carefully) with a vise!
Old 11-22-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by pon55
The first thing to do is go to
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=FRONT+BRAKE
gives you the parts,ect!
look like a press fit in the hub which you can probably do (carefully) with a vise!
All you need is the bearing.( around 35.00 from majestic for a real honda one) A vise will not cut it for this job. you NEED a hydraulic press and a few press tools to support the hub assy. the job is a pain. If you want a diy do some searches on honda -tech the procedure is the same on most civics.
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by djmota
All you need is the bearing.( around 35.00 from majestic for a real honda one) A vise will not cut it for this job. you NEED a hydraulic press and a few press tools to support the hub assy. the job is a pain. If you want a diy do some searches on honda -tech the procedure is the same on most civics.
Hear thae man
Old 11-22-2005

Originally Posted by djmota
I also bow you your knowledge but I got one more NOOB Q, by majestic do you mean majestic honda? as in a dealership near you personally?
Old 11-22-2005
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
you are just supposed to replace the "hub assy" It cost $43 for the rear I just did. Its a really easy job. Pull the drum, take off the spindle nut and the hub comes right off (for the rear). The front should be pretty much the same.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+BRAKE+%281%29
Old 11-22-2005
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
OOH NM front is different I just looked.... stupid me
Old 11-22-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
hondaautotiveparts.com=majestic

I suggest buying the part and taking it to a mechanic to have them do it.
There is an inner bearing race that stays on the hub and is next to impossible to get off without a special seperator tool.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
I did my Accord. First took it to a shop and they couldnt do it and they had a press. So I just bought a used assembly, instead of just the bearing, didnt have to press anything. 60K later and the used one is still going.
Old 11-23-2005
Registered!!

Overboost is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought I needed to replace the wheel bearing myself but it turns out it was the heatshield touching the hub. Might want to check that first.
Old 11-23-2005

Originally Posted by Overboost
I thought I needed to replace the wheel bearing myself but it turns out it was the heatshield touching the hub. Might want to check that first.
more often than not you will ge a screech noise with that kinda of problem at all speeds.....
Old 11-23-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
has anyone done one of these yet, or have a DIY for replacing them?
here ya go....

Last edited by tfnaaf; 04-08-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2005

never did thank you for the DIY....thanks hehe.....oh and as it turns out I was thinking I got screwed on the bearing type.....cuz on the past links in this thread, I double checked and the pics were for DX-2-dr I have an EX-4-dr, so the prices were/are different, but really, is there a difference in the bearing itself? I mean aside from the fact that the front brake components (certain ones) are modified ina sense for ABS and such, why is there a diff of nearly 20 bux for what i paid for 4 dr than what I would pay for 2 dr?
Old 01-31-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
tagged for a revisit
Old 07-31-2007
Registered!!

dsearfass is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wheelbearing DIY

Anyone know what application this DIY was pulled from? Man that's awesome.
Old 07-31-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

It was a 7th gen. I think that is what you are asking.....
Old 07-31-2007
Registered!!

I was wondering what the images above were pulled from? Alldata / Mitchell or one of those? I've never seen anything like that. Sorry for not being clear.
Old 07-31-2007
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice

good job on bring back a thread that was made almost 3 yrs ago HAHAHAHAHA
Old 07-31-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

The images where pulled from the actual Honda service manual. You can do a search, then down load it. It is the real deal, the actual Honda one that the techs have, not the one you buy at the parts houses.....

Last edited by Alpha 5; 07-31-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2007
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

i also have alldata available if you need
Old 08-01-2007
Registered!!

Honda Service Manual. Sounds good I will check it out.
Thanks for the offer on Alldata but I'm going to pass. The manual looks like it will have everything I need.