Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Car shakes at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CaTacL1sm will become famous soon enoughCaTacL1sm will become famous soon enough
Car shakes at highway speeds

hey guys, need your input...
last wednesday i noticed that when i would go 60mph or faster, my car would start to shake, nothing violent, but a vibration i could feel through the steering wheel. i figured my wheels just needed to be balanced, so i had the front two balanced today...
the shaking is still there however and im a little annoyed... anyone have the same thing happen?
solutions?

thx
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough
Re: Car shakes at highway speeds

Should've gotten an alignment while you were there. Also get your tires checked out. One of my tires was damaged and had a big lump on it, causing the car the vibrate at high speeds.
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

CaTacL1sm will become famous soon enoughCaTacL1sm will become famous soon enough

yea ill call my mech up tomorrow. the tires are new tho sooo... i was thinking maybe alignment
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

A good old balance and alignment should do it. Keep us posted.

Wagner
Old 02-19-2008
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm
yea ill call my mech up tomorrow. the tires are new tho sooo... i was thinking maybe alignment
check alignment balance all wheels, and check tire pressure too
Old 02-19-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

did u just realize this vib. recently? or has it been happening?
Old 02-19-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

could be....

-improperly balanced wheels
-uneven tire wear
-torn front bushings
-other suspension damage

make sure you take them to a shop that knows how to balance. usually thats the problem. does the vibration sometimes go away, or is it constant? could also be the tires, if the wear spots are different. can try swapping the front and rear tires and see if that helps.
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

if your steering wheel is shaking, i'm gonna go ahead and bet on your tie-rod ends.
Old 02-20-2008
Registered!!

BustedSony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm
hey guys, need your input...
last wednesday i noticed that when i would go 60mph or faster, my car would start to shake, nothing violent, but a vibration i could feel through the steering wheel. i figured my wheels just needed to be balanced, so i had the front two balanced today...
the shaking is still there however and im a little annoyed... anyone have the same thing happen?
solutions?

thx
I believe your car is a 2005, so it's a bit new to be having this problem; but anytime my Hondas over the years have had a regular vibration that can be felt in the steering only at highway speeds (but not noticeable in local driving) it's always been worn or damaged CV joints. On the other hand tire balance problems can be felt at any speed, tie-rod slack causes irregular vibration and noisy suspension.

With CV joint wear the longer of the two front axles can get out of balance as it becomes offset in the worn bearings and does once-around vibration only at specific speeds. (The shorter axle is far less affected by CV bearing wear. )

Look at the boots covering your CV joints (front axle Universal joints) to see if there's any damage and sign of ingress of water that can dry out the lubrication and promote wear.

Last edited by BustedSony; 02-20-2008 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added comment on tire balance.
Old 02-20-2008
Registered!!

YuckerDisMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what kind of rims you have, but i had a similar problem with mine. Took the wheel off and noticed the inside of it was bent. Replaced the wheel and it fixed it.
Old 02-20-2008
Registered!!

thanks guys, ill keep ya updated
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

kk, so my mech put the car up on stands and we realized that the belt on the rear drivers side tire has snapped... dunno how that happend but come monday ill have everything fixed

thanks all
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Ok...can't help but post this...This is by far my favorite site to visit but at the same time please get a feel for your car mechanically. Maybe I'm 'racist' for the fact that I'm a mechanical engineer that has a feel for real life (if you ever have to deal with engineers you'll understand) but please feel/listen harder and try to use your gut feel to pin point problems before posting or going to your mechanics. I mean this for anyone reading this; if you don't have that feeling your getting ripped off (please don't get ripped off you drive a civic too).
Old 02-23-2008
Registered!!

WheelBrokerAng is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel the same as the last poster..one of the things that always starts to happen is after you get something done to your ride...look it over really good to see what other damage they might have done...even like dropping your car off of there jack stands can bend a rim ...

WheelBrokerAng
Old 02-23-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

ok this is gonna sound really dumb but it happened to me. I took off my summer wheels and put my steelies back on for winter. After that my wheel was shakin like mad. Took it into the stealership for a service and asked them to find out the problem. It turns out my summer wheels have these rubber gasket type things that go on the inside of the rim. The gaskets stuck to the brake disks in the front and wen i put the steelies on they weren't fitting properly. kinda scary when you think about it. but its fine now
Old 02-23-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hubcentric rings?
Old 02-23-2008
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

take the car to a shop and see if the use Hunter balancers.. then check if they have a road force machine... have them checked...WATCH them... and see if the tires are high road force or separated... if not rebalnce nad check for bends or warped wheels!
Old 02-24-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
hubcentric rings?
i have a really dumb story about those. i was putting my steelies back on and it was super cold and dark in my driveway so i was in a hurry, didn't take off the plastic hub rings, heard cracking when i tightened the wheel down then a piece of plastic flew off, bounced off something and hit me in the face. won't do that again.
Old 02-25-2008
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah..some metal ones next time maybe huh!