Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

what happens when struts blow?..

Old 01-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
what happens when struts blow?..

i was thinking about lowering springs but people talk about struts blowing and im kinda confused.. does my car just die in the middle of the freeway when that happens? what causes it?
Old 01-09-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
when you blow a strut, the spring no longer has anny thing to stop it form bouncing, so you end up with a really bouncy ride. its not going to blow up or anny thing. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-09-2003
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
You'll see some oil if it's blown.
Old 01-09-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
ya when it blows, your car is going to fly up in the air and slam back down, laying on the frame and scraping n ish... sorry i'm a lil hyper right now... but ya your just going to have a really badd back from the bouncy ride.
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
I hear it's quite an amusing sight to see... a car with blown struts bouncing uncontrollably on the highway. [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-10-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Just to finally answer the question with out some smart *** ramark, Struts dont blow really, the seals in them burst causing the pistion in them to be able to freely float in the housing. some oil may leak out of them and such, but basically the shock can nolonger controle the movements of the spring, thus allowing the spring to do what it likes most, BOUNCE!
Old 01-10-2003
Reppin' "Custom Concepts"

noname is an unknown quantity at this point
sooooooo.... they burst! ?
Old 01-10-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
When the seals go, they just leak. When you lose enough oil from the shocks they no longer dapen the movement from the springs. Seals may just degrade and leak, dirt can get in and wear the seals, or they can just plain wear out.

The reason stock shocks often go with lowered cars is that the shocks are always compressed and working in the extreme end of their range. This extra and almost constant pressure will cause the seals to wear prematurely. Another thing that will cause them to go early is if you don't replace the nice rubber dust covers after spring installation and dirt gets in and abrades the seals.
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
You just start bouncing when going over bumps and things of that nature. My shocks are blown and I am getting really sick of the ride. The back isn't bad but the front is awful. If the tokicos aren't out in the next 2 months I am just going to break down and buy the darn konis...I just hate the idea of inserts..
Old 01-10-2003
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Inserts are kewl. I'm glad I didn't wait. I've had the advantage of nice ride and handling all these months now with my Koni Yellows.