Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

What's the exact tire air pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shahzad is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the exact tire air pressure?

Hi, I would like to know about the tire pressure for my Civic 01 Vti. I have heard people saying 'keep 30 in all tires', 'keep 28 in the front ones and 30 in the rear ones', and '28 in all tires'. Please guide me what to choose.
Old 01-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's the exact tire air pressure?

Open your drivers door. Look for this sticker:

What does YOURS say?
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

POQbum can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by ezone
Open your drivers door. Look for this sticker:

What does YOURS say?
Yep ^ ^
But I've tried this for several months, then pumped my tires up to 47psi (51 is max inflation for the tires) and I get much better handling and gas milage. I also did the chalk test to see how much of my tire was in contact with the ground and it has everything touching that should be. Just something to consider. I know many low end tires can't get inflated that high without it being over-inflated with poor traction and risk of blowout.

So I'd say take the actual tire into account as well as the manufacture recommendation for tire inflation.
Old 02-25-2012
Gangsta Sexy

FordSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

pump them to them to about two PSI under the max pressure in the summer. the tires will last longer. if you get ice in the winter, and dont swap to snow tires, drop to the 28-30 PSI. the 32 is a Pressure thats just listed to work in all driving conditions.
Old 02-25-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A chalk check can't tell how unevenly the weight is distributed across the tread face. All chalk can tell you is that the tread is touching the ground.
If you read Hot Rod, a burnout stripe can tell you more about tire pressure, the darkness of the stripes indicates the weight on each part of the stripe. You can't really do that with a Civic though.

With overinflation, you feel every little ripple in the road. You will likely wear the center of the tread out first.

That said, mine are always overinflated. The Civic never got the air let out when I did the PDI so they are at 40ish right now.

The Buick always had them set to the max on the sidewall or higher.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about

If you have an IR thermometer you can also take tire temps across the width of the tire, hard accelerating & braking. Just have to burn some gas to get the tires warm tho..

Figure 8s would work faster but your suspension will add its signature onto your results.
Old 02-25-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

above 40 PSI is too much for our cars.
i used 40 psi in mine when i was at the road track, daily could get to use 36PSI maybe.
stiffer sidewall tires then need less pressures too.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Yep. Much of it really depends on the tire you have. My old turd tires I inflated 20psi past the max pressure just for better gas mileage as a delivery guy. I ran over plenty of potholes and speedbumps with that pressure, tons of sharp turns as well and nothing bad happened.

The problem is really it had very poor stopping distance and was useless in the rain. It only curved along areas of the road that had the slightest dips, and I definitely felt every crack and uneven surface in the road.

So obviously never inflate more than max pressure of your tire, but I think the Honda recommended PSI is too low for higher end tires.

-----
Also about the weight test, I never knew about this. I just got an alignment done so I'd think that because of this, the tires should have proper weight distribution, right?
Old 02-25-2012

-----
Also about the weight test, I never knew about this. I just got an alignment done so I'd think that because of this, the tires should have proper weight distribution, right?

This made almost no sense to me.
What does this mean, and what did you intend it to mean?What do you think an "alignment" does?
How is that connected to weight distribution?
What is weight distribution?

What does any of this have to do with tire pressure?

Proper tire inflation pressure minimizes wear caused by improper inflation pressure.
It also gives decent ride quality and decent gas mileage. Tire pressure specs are always a compromise somewhere.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
This made almost no sense to me.
What does this mean, and what did you intend it to mean?
I'm just tired

I just reread what I wrote and it made no sense to me either. Anyway I figured out the answer to my initial question about it, so no worries
Old 02-27-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by POQbum
My old turd tires I inflated 20psi past the max pressure
like i said on another thread, if you try to do this anywhere near me, i will slap you in the head and run as fast as possible from there before it explodes. Max pressure is exactly that. Max. No one will warranty anything if you get in an accident after that.