Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

High pitched noise from wheel while driving

Old 09-09-2011
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
High pitched noise from wheel while driving

Since last week I've had this crazy high pitched noise sounding like metal on metal coming from my right front wheel, I can only hear it when I have the window down.

- if I turn the wheel, nothing changes
- if I apply the brakes, it goes away
- after driving for a while and a bit of braking, it's gone for the rest of the drive
- I changed my transmission fluid 30,000 kilometers ago
- I got an oil change 2000 kilometers ago
- I've never changed my brakes
Old 09-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: High pitched noise from wheel while driving

Wheel bearing?

Have you jacked that wheel off the ground to check for excessive movement.
Old 09-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

can you see the pads? might be getting close to the wear indicators rubbing which causes metal on metal. eventually it gets worse and does it all the time.
Old 09-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

its prob ur pads.

u have a lil metal rod on ur pad that will strike ur rotor when the pad life is nearly done.

if u hear that high pitch noise, its time to get ur pads replaced. if ur pads are too low, it kinda hard to visually tell because the backing will look like the pad itself.
Old 09-10-2011
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I did jack up the car, no play in the wheel top to bottom.
So it'll make that noise constantly if it's the brake pads?
Old 09-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DeX
So it'll make that noise constantly if it's the brake pads?
usually only when u depress the brakes but if ur brakes are worn further than the rod, then it WILL make noise all the time.
Old 09-10-2011
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Should be fine to drive 3 hours north today, then back down here tomorrow and fix them Monday?
Old 09-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

most of the time when the inidicator sounds you still have quite a bit of pad left so you should be fine other then the embarrassment you get from screeching everywhere.
Old 09-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine does the same thing but I havent gotten around to fixing it. Make sure the dust shield is not rubbing on the rotor. That's what mine is, exact same symptoms as you.
Old 09-22-2011
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

What does the dust shield look like? All I see is the brakes, rotors and control arm.
Old 09-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The dust shield is almost the same size as the rotor and sits directly beside it. You can see it in these pictures:

You can see the top of it in this picture:
Name:  SAM_6779.jpg
Views: 9448
Size:  107.6 KB

And from the side:

I've been thinking about cutting mine out because they drive me crazy but I kind of like having OEM parts on my car lol. You have to bend it out a little away from the rotor to make sure it's not making contact.
Old 09-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ive never understood why the back has to have a dust shield but the front is fine without one lol
Old 09-26-2011
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I took my car to the Honda dealership to get a wheel alignment and they didn't mention anything so I assume it wasn't as simple as bending the heat shield. They probably would have done that if it were. So I bought new pads and rotors, going to try and put them on today.
Old 09-26-2011
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
its prob ur pads.

u have a lil metal rod on ur pad that will strike ur rotor when the pad life is nearly done.

if u hear that high pitch noise, its time to get ur pads replaced. if ur pads are too low, it kinda hard to visually tell because the backing will look like the pad itself.
That was it, the pad was done. I replaced the pads and rotors today.
Old 09-27-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Cool.. my pads are brand new so it doesnt really explain the noise.
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

b00$t is an unknown quantity at this point

Def the breaks.. caliper might need a rebuild or just the pads.
Old 10-01-2011
Registered!!

Andrew70 is an unknown quantity at this point

My '07 Si has the same issue. It sounds like a metal-on-metal scrape that increases/decreases with wheel speed but does not change with the application of brakes. BUT it only starts after a few minutes of stop and go driving and goes away after a minute of no-brakes cruising. My pads are only 35k old, but it must be them from what you guys are saying. Glad to read this thread because it's been driving me bonkers.