Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

size of socket to remove OEM lug nuts??

Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeffconnell12 is an unknown quantity at this point
size of socket to remove OEM lug nuts??

Hey guys i just got a 1/2 inch impact wrench to help with rotating/switching wheels etc, and im wondering the the size of socket in millimeters i need to remove my stock lug nuts on 15 inch steelies, i believe they're 185/65/15. thanks!
Old 12-29-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: size of socket to remove OEM lug nuts??

should be 19mm
Old 12-29-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. 19mm. Do you plan on tightening them with the impact as well? Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to just put them on and torque them with my torque wrench(final touch) and ratchet. There's something that makes me uncomfortable about tightening them with that thing.
Old 12-29-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with mel on that one.. Even if you can set your imact wrench to 80-ft-lbs, I'd still take a torque wrench to get the final torque.. but that's just me.

Overtorquing lug nuts can end badly.
Old 12-29-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

and jsut for the record, 12 x 1.5 mm studs (what we have on our civics) gets torqued down to 70-80lbs (proper and safety range). nothing higher than 80 though.
Old 12-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I put mine on with a impact set to 80ft/lbs and check it with my torque wrench, I don't use my torque wrench to tighten lug nuts because of the danger involved with using a torque wrench/breaker bar/cheater pipe while a car is on jack stands. Tightening with a bar rocks the car back and forth since the wheel is on the outside corner of the car, but an impact does not cause that rocking.
Old 12-29-2010

ur suppos to tighten ur lug nuts to about 50lbs. drop ur car on its tires, then tq it to 80.

or if ur **** like me, have someone depress on ur brakes and torque it to 80lbs.
Old 12-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
ur suppos to tighten ur lug nuts to about 50lbs. drop ur car on its tires, then tq it to 80.

or if ur **** like me, have someone depress on ur brakes and torque it to 80lbs.
Torquing the lug nuts in the air or on the ground depends on if the car is lug centric or hub centric, if you want to get really technical.
Old 12-29-2010

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Torquing the lug nuts in the air or on the ground depends on if the car is lug centric or hub centric, if you want to get really technical.
i have hub cen rings on my rims =] so i can do either. i still prefer to tq them in the air tho.
Old 12-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I hold the tire and hit it with the 80ft-lb torque stick. I've had the set 2 years and it's the only one I've used. lol.
Old 12-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

just too lazy to turn so many times, so impact wrench and then torque wrench
Old 12-30-2010
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough

The impact gun over time eventually damages the chrome on the lug nuts (osc. back and forth at a high rate once the nut is tight) and leads to them chipping and rusting.

Seen the prices for a set of new lug nuts from Honda or Acura lately??

Hand torque with a decent torque wrench is the way to go. Most shops don't like to do this as they consider it takes up too much time.
Old 12-30-2010

Originally Posted by nsxvtec
The impact gun over time eventually damages the chrome on the lug nuts (osc. back and forth at a high rate once the nut is tight) and leads to them chipping and rusting.

Seen the prices for a set of new lug nuts from Honda or Acura lately??

Hand torque with a decent torque wrench is the way to go. Most shops don't like to do this as they consider it takes up too much time.

agreed. especially if u have some expensive light weight lug nuts like rays, blox, project kicks...etc

u dont wanna be messing them up.

i got blox lug nuts and they are amazing light compared to stock honda (60g stock vs 25g blox)
Old 12-30-2010
Registered!!

Happy Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

19mm, or the imperial equivalent 3/4 inch