Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Steering Wheel shakes

Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdanimatrix is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering Wheel shakes

hey i just put 16" wheels on my 02 civic and ever since my car has a really annoying vibration after about 60mph. i took it to another shop to have them balanced but that didnt fix the problem. i didnt have them aligned but im not sure that would cause the vibrations. any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

scrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of light
an alignment shouldnt be the problem. u would need an alignment if u were getting pulled to the left or the right. If the balancing didnt help...not really sure whatit would be.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
from what I have heard it could be very warped rotors. If you get some shaking when braking that might be the problem.
Old 07-25-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
did you get the wheels new or used?
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

simo is an unknown quantity at this point
could over torquing your lug nuts be the source of the problem?
Old 07-25-2006
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
I am having the same problem...replaced my coilover with new ones and no change, did the balance thing...no change, gonna get new tires next. My uncle, who worked in a front end shop in the l8ta 70's, said it is probably tires. Just my $.02 May not be your problem but could be mine.
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

well the tires and rims are new i was there for the install and saw everything get unwrapped and the tires even had the factory stickers on em. they're 16" Pacers wrapped in Kumho Solus 205/50/16 tires. i went to another shop and they told me that the previous shop did the balancing wrong and i should go back to them, that it had to do with high speed balancing??
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

k20a2nEEk is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem, and it was over torqing the lugs, and itt fixed it, because that bugged the **** out of me
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

so tightening the lugs too much makes the vibration after 60mph?/? im gonna take it back for balance check should i tell them about it? i also have locks on the rims...
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Originally Posted by cdanimatrix
so tightening the lugs too much makes the vibration after 60mph?/? im gonna take it back for balance check should i tell them about it? i also have locks on the rims...

the installer should have advised you to check or re-torque the lug nuts after a number of miles (usually 25). over and/or improperly torqued the lugs will cause vibrations. *but not all steering wheel vibrations are caused by this*

most shops and dealerships want to get your car in&out so they dont bother tightening the lugnuts to the right torque (80ft/lbs on 7thgens). They just use the same impact-wrench to put the lugnuts back on. This is often the cause of snapped lugbolts too.
Old 07-25-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
It could also be the tow or castor
Old 07-25-2006
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
It could also be the tow or castor
excess toe will cause the car to jerk when you go over bumps, you wont get vibration from it. Caster can't be adjusted on our suspension setup.

if your wheels are balanced, try getting hub centric rings. lug torque wont be the problem unless they were left on finger tight.
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
high speed vib should be in-balance wheel
Low speed should be tire

those are in most cases

Originally Posted by skipbarber
excess toe will cause the car to jerk when you go over bumps, you wont get vibration from it. Caster can't be adjusted on our suspension setup.

if your wheels are balanced, try getting hub centric rings. lug torque wont be the problem unless they were left on finger tight.
He's right. Alignment should not be an issue. Hub centic ring will help.

Last edited by Yoyoio; 07-25-2006 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

Mike04Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
it actually could be an alignment thing.....dont ask me how it worksout, cause i really dont know - but back when i had my 99 626, it started to do that - so i took it in for an alignment and that fixed it.

something with the 2000 expedition my mom used to have.
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

now that you mention when i took the car back the first time to the shop where i got em to check the balance the guy kept on trying on these hubs on my car but in the end he didnt find one that fit so he put them back on the way they were..i didnt ask cuz i thought i didnt need em...where can i get hub rings?
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you dropped? IF you are you might need a camber kit since your alignment wont be quite right till everything is sitting where it is supposed to be.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

no im not dropped. i just got the hub rings installed it helped but didnt take the vib of completely it still does it 70+mph
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

simo is an unknown quantity at this point
if you go past 80 mph does the vibration stop?? mine does the same thing it shakes between 60mph and 80 mph. werid.... anyone know what it could be?
Old 07-30-2006
Registered!!

surprisingly it does stop after about 80 but how can i tell wats wrong....
Old 07-30-2006
l33t h4x0r

Zoto724 is an unknown quantity at this point
Strangely enough, my car has started to do this also. I just rotated the tires myself and it started. I took it and had it balanced, but that didn't seem to help. I'm getting it alligned and "high speed" balanced on monday, we'll see if that fixes the problem. Oddly, it only shaked from about 55-70 mph, all other speeds its fine.
Old 07-30-2006
2 cups sweety 8 cups bitch

Suzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same problem a couple months ago.
YOU NEED THEM BALANCED!!
And an alignment too.

read more here...
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...steering+wheel

Last edited by euphoricEyes; 07-30-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

ok i took my car to the shop today, all my tires were perfectly balanced but the guy said one of the front ones has a little jump (not sure wat that meant) so he rotated them...now the vibration has gone away completely im supposed to go back tomorrow to tell him if it worked or not. finally smooth ride!