Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

how to clean oxidation from alloy wheels?

Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bucu4u is an unknown quantity at this point
how to clean oxidation from alloy wheels?

I got some oxidation build up in the clear coat of some alloy rims. My question is is there anything I can spray on it to get rid of it.
Old 06-19-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well the problem is if they're oem alloy, they have a coating on them that once its gone, thats it. i dont think its fixable with just some cleaner.
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

gipperkid is an unknown quantity at this point
yea once the clear coat is gone on an alloy wheel, they are pretty much done.
Old 06-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Its probably not oxidation, most likely its brake dust damage, and there's nothing you can do to reverse it.
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

its looks like its underneath the clear coat
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Eightball will become famous soon enoughEightball will become famous soon enough
What kind of wheels do you have?

I had the same kind of problem, except mine were REALLY bad. It will just get worse. The only thing to really get rid of it is to get new wheels or strip off the clear and polish or paint the metal. Which is probably not worth going through for most everyone. I tried it and it took me months to get my wheels done by hand. Although mine had a lot of damage and painting them made it harder. They make a bare metal clear coat but it didn't work out for me. So I just polish the lip frequently....

It was a good learning experience though and I'm proud when I look at them on my car

Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Eightball
What kind of wheels do you have?

I had the same kind of problem, except mine were REALLY bad. It will just get worse. The only thing to really get rid of it is to get new wheels or strip off the clear and polish or paint the metal. Which is probably not worth going through for most everyone. I tried it and it took me months to get my wheels done by hand. Although mine had a lot of damage and painting them made it harder. They make a bare metal clear coat but it didn't work out for me. So I just polish the lip frequently....

It was a good learning experience though and I'm proud when I look at them on my car

Way to turn that around.
good job
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

oem 2000 si rims. its weird it looks like its underneath the clear coat finish
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

Eightball will become famous soon enoughEightball will become famous soon enough
It happens. Those would be a lot easier to fix than mine were. If doing it yourself isn't an option, check around and see how much a shop will charge to refinish them. Compare that to replacing them.
Old 06-21-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bucu4u
oem 2000 si rims. its weird it looks like its underneath the clear coat finish
The clearcoat on those rims are garbage as I found out. Its not surprising that you've got issues with it. It probably isn't under it, most likely its in it, or the clearcoat is pitted, and you see stuff coming up through it. once you get a bubble or break in the coating, stuff gets under it. Aluminum corrosion can be scraped off, etc.... but until you re-seal it, it'll keep coming back. So long story short, the only way to fix it is to strip em and re-clear coat them.
Old 06-21-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
my rims have a few deep pits and so far no problems. if it spreads tho, i guess its an excuse for new ones.