Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

cost of brake job

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
cost of brake job

my brakes are squeeling pretty bad, and will 'crunch' under heavy braking. i really need brakes. but i don't want to put the money up for expensive pads (because i'm poor) and i think my drum shoes need to be replaced (48k mi). eventually i'm going to get brembo blanks and some hawk or axxis pads, but for now i just want OEM cheapass pads and shoes.
if i take it in to the dealer, what should i expect to be charged for a full front and rear brake job?
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

someguy is an unknown quantity at this point
dude its easier and cheaper to do it yourself. the only thing it should cost you is the price of the pads ands shoes. also any addtional tools you might need. they have some specific tools at autozone to help get your drum shoes off.
Old 10-16-2004
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
sweet
i need to change my brake pads soon.
everyone told me you cant do it yourself.
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

yeah, i want to do it myself, but i was just curious how much it would be.
Old 10-16-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Unless you bring them the parts, it could cost upwards to about $200-300 for OEM style parts. That is with rotors and pads. It should only take them about 1 hour. Now you can get better pads for around $50 and better rotors around $100-150. loosen your wheels, jack the front end up, undo the caliper bolts, pop out the old calipers, use a C clamp to push the piston in, take of the two bolts that hold the rotor on, replace the rotor, put the bolts back in, put the caliper back over the rotor and screw it back down. Takes about 1 hour if you can get those two little bastard bolts off that hold the rotor on. Piece of cake. And you could save yourself some cash in having better parts.
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Skunk2ner
my brakes are squeeling pretty bad, and will 'crunch' under heavy braking. i really need brakes. but i don't want to put the money up for expensive pads (because i'm poor) and i think my drum shoes need to be replaced (48k mi). eventually i'm going to get brembo blanks and some hawk or axxis pads, but for now i just want OEM cheapass pads and shoes.
if i take it in to the dealer, what should i expect to be charged for a full front and rear brake job?
If you take it to the dealer, expect to pay around $400-$800 just for a brake job. dealers arent cheap when it comes to any kind of work. But in reality, it all depends on where you go. Different places charge different amounts, and it also depends on what you need done.

But just get some brembo blanks and hawk pads and some rear brake shoes and do it yourself for about $120 or so.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by streetglower
If you take it to the dealer, expect to pay around $400-$800 just for a brake job. dealers arent cheap when it comes to any kind of work. But in reality, it all depends on where you go. Different places charge different amounts, and it also depends on what you need done.

But just get some brembo blanks and hawk pads and some rear brake shoes and do it yourself for about $120 or so.
damn, that much just to have them put in some pads and shoes?

i guess i'll have to wait a couple weeks then to get my brembo blanks and pads/shoes, dammit, i have no money.

p.s. - anyone have the brembo drums? are they worth getting? they're prettier haha.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
damn, that much just to have them put in some pads and shoes?

i guess i'll have to wait a couple weeks then to get my brembo blanks and pads/shoes, dammit, i have no money.

p.s. - anyone have the brembo drums? are they worth getting? they're prettier haha.
dealerships arent cheap. About a yr and a half ago I was quoted $565 to replace rear drums, pads and shoes. But the price is in that region.

Brembo doesnt make drums. Best bet is to just throw some shoes in the rear, doesnt matter what kind because not much braking goes on back there. Most comes from the front.
Old 10-17-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
No one makes aftermarket drums as far as I know. All you will get is disks and disk conversions becasue they are better.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robbclark1
No one makes aftermarket drums as far as I know. All you will get is disks and disk conversions becasue they are better.
Well I did find this from another thread, brembo apparently does sell drums for our cars.

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/...20Civic%202001
Old 10-17-2004
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Originally Posted by robbclark1
Yea, thats why i converted . I hate replacing drums!! So dangerous wit those springs and those dam adjusters . Pads are soo much easier to replace.....
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Well I did find this from another thread, brembo apparently does sell drums for our cars.

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/...20Civic%202001
yeah that's what i saw.

i can do front pads, that's not a big deal. i remember doing drums, they're tricky. i don't wanna screw something up.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

yeah that's what i saw.

i can do front pads, that's not a big deal. i remember doing drums, they're tricky. i don't wanna screw something up.
you really dont need new drums though. Those should last for a long time unless you have had them turned several times. Just replace the shoes in there if they are worn down.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

you really dont need new drums though. Those should last for a long time unless you have had them turned several times. Just replace the shoes in there if they are worn down.
that's what i mean. replacing the shoes is fairly tricky isn't it? all the springs and crap. haha. i've done it in my suspension/alignment class a couple years ago. but i don't wanna screw up on my car!
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

that's what i mean. replacing the shoes is fairly tricky isn't it? all the springs and crap. haha. i've done it in my suspension/alignment class a couple years ago. but i don't wanna screw up on my car!
I am assuming it isnt all that hard, I have never done it, so I am really not to sure.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02CivicDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Just had mine done.
Honda wanted to charge $200 plus tax to do the front. (new pads n cut the rotors)and clean the back $50 plus tax plus labor on both.

Bought new pads $35 and rotors $22 X 2 and took the car to another garage and had it all done for $165 tax in...including the price for the pads
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02CivicDX
Just had mine done.
Honda wanted to charge $200 plus tax to do the front. (new pads n cut the rotors)and clean the back $50 plus tax plus labor on both.

Bought new pads $35 and rotors $22 X 2 and took the car to another garage and had it all done for $165 tax in...including the price for the pads
you should have done it yourself, would of saved yourself a good deal of money.
Old 10-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02CivicDX
Just had mine done.

did they replace the drum shoes? maybe i'll just bust out my old books and just go ahead and do the drums myself. i've done more ticky work than that!

anyone know a cheap place to pick up brembo blanks, hawk pads, and OEM or aftermarket drum shoes? i might get some brembo drums too, why not??
Old 10-18-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
Replacing your Drum Shoes is not hard at all. I wish I made a DIY but Sorry I did not,
I have a DIY for pads if you need it I can dig it up.

Best bet for the shoes is to get a chilton manual ($12) which will come in handy for countless other project.
They have a complete analysis of the shoe components.
The worst thing that could happen is you take off the drum and start poking at stuff and the spring flys off and you have to put all those little pieces back together like a puzzle. It's still not that bad, but you'll need the chilton's to figure out where all the little levers and clips go. fun stuff good times good times
Old 10-18-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 4jacks
Replacing your Drum Shoes is not hard at all. I wish I made a DIY but Sorry I did not,
I have a DIY for pads if you need it I can dig it up.

Best bet for the shoes is to get a chilton manual ($12) which will come in handy for countless other project.
They have a complete analysis of the shoe components.
The worst thing that could happen is you take off the drum and start poking at stuff and the spring flys off and you have to put all those little pieces back together like a puzzle. It's still not that bad, but you'll need the chilton's to figure out where all the little levers and clips go. fun stuff good times good times
you got PM
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
you got PM

I AM NOT PREMENSTRAUL AND I DON'T KNOW WHY EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING THAT

j/k

Brake pad DIY

http://members.fortunecity.com/4jacks/brakes.html