Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

air pressure for 215/45/R17?

Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
air pressure for 215/45/R17?

im just wondering...

what is the best COLD air pressure for my new Falken Ziex-512 215/45/R17?

is it still 30psi?

also, what do you think about Enkei RP02-J?

i thinking about getting them....how about them compared to Enkei RS5?

Last edited by zen_master; 05-21-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Same volume as stock, same pressure as stock. Look in the door frame.
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

hmmm...

however, how do you know that it's the same as stock's volume?

thanks for the reply!!
Old 06-15-2004
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
Look on the tire. I know mine (215/45/17) have a max pressure of 55psi imprinted on the tire.
Old 06-15-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
ive found that max pressure will not give best tire wear and or handling, i run my 215/35/18's @ 30-35 psi anything more and it seems to handle like CRAP
Old 06-15-2004
Premium Member

2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about
def go by the tire's recomendation they know the exact lbs of pressure to ge the best wear and traction.
Old 06-15-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Tire preasure is based on the viehicals weight and the Volume of air the tire can hold.
So absolutly, Positivly DO NOT run the tire at its Printed Max Rateing!!

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/broc...irPressure.jsp
Old 06-15-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^ nod , if you run the max you wont be happy with the ride, handling , or tire wear
Old 06-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zen_master
hmmm...

however, how do you know that it's the same as stock's volume?

thanks for the reply!!

Tire rack has a really snazzy program they run when you buy non stock sized tires. Or you can just figure that you're trading sidewall height for tire width, and find the volume for each size and solve yourself.
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

so.......................

is it gonna be 30 psi for my new 215/45/R17?
Old 06-15-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I run my 215/45-17s at 34 on the front, but thats because i'm a bit harder on the car then average.
Old 06-15-2004
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
i say 33lbs
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
Isnt the general rule of thumb, For every inch you increase the wheel diameter add 2psi? so if stock is 30psi than 16" would be 32 psi and 17" would be 34psi. But I guess it all depends on personal preference too
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

interesting!

stilll, what should i use? hmmmmmmm.....

seriously PSI really affects handling and mpg!!
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont pay attention to what the CAR manufacturer tells you as far as PSI. Pay attention to what the tire manufacturer tells you.

As for what tire pressure to use, well that really depends on the application (ie daily driving vs track)

I have 205/40/17 dunlops. For daily driving, I set the PSI at 40 all around.
At the track, I have the fronts at 47 PSI, and the rears at 49 PSI.

Max PSI on my tires are 51 PSI.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

wowwww...

wait, ok, im only using it for daily driving.....city+highway...

are you sure 40PSI all around??

hm....
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
You should take into account that the tire pressure will rise when the tire warms up. Call any reputable tire shop and they'll tell you that tire pressure is very important especially for a low profile tire. Too much pressure and you'll have a harsh ride and and wear the center out sooner then the outside. To low and you risk wheel damage and will wear the outside of the tire out sooner then the center.

Best thing to do is go just a couple of pounds higher then what the sticker says on the door jamb for stock tire pressure. For my 205/40/17's, I run 34PSI all around. This gives me a comfortable ride, helps protect my wheels and is good for even tire wear.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

34 might be the number im lookin here................hm..
Old 06-16-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by Narc
Dont pay attention to what the CAR manufacturer tells you as far as PSI. Pay attention to what the tire manufacturer tells you.

As for what tire pressure to use, well that really depends on the application (ie daily driving vs track)

I have 205/40/17 dunlops. For daily driving, I set the PSI at 40 all around.
At the track, I have the fronts at 47 PSI, and the rears at 49 PSI.

Max PSI on my tires are 51 PSI.

Just curious, but why do you have higher preasures in the back Vs the front for your Track set up??
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

Samari is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard it was good to keep it a couple number below the max. Say if you have 50 max then keep it at 45. Correct me if im wrong.
Old 06-16-2004
Autocross Junky

Tire preasure is based on how much the car weighs and how much air the tire can hold (volume) that means, for a relitivly light car, you'll be running lower preasures the a Heavy car running the same size wheel/tire. the Max rating on the tire just tells you what the tire is rated to before you run the risk of blowing the thing off the bead of the wheel.

the Factory says 30 psi for our cars on stock wheels/tires, at most, even with a 19 you souldnt be higher then 38Psi... The only time I ever ran my 17s at 45 was when I was Autocrossing on them, and that was just to reduce tire roll over durring hard cornering.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
id go with 34psi
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

I set the pressure in the back tires higher than the fronts because dispite the fact that I put on a 22mm rear lower sway bar, my car still pushes in cornering. ive played around with rear tire pressure and at 49, it helps to get the *** end to come around on corners better.
This is as a result of testing and tuning....my shocks are blown and ill bet with a new set of shocks, those figures will change. But with the set up I have, thats what seems to work for my car and my driving style at the track (solo II).
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

Another point id like to make, is that ive noticed better gas millage with 40 PSI all around vs when I used to drive with 34 all around. Not to much difference, but around 20 km on a full tank.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

interesting.......

and yes indeed, we know that higher PSI on the tires == higher MPG....however, we know that the road will eat your tire even more.......

anyway, i noticed the best MPG right now with my OEM 15" steelies at perfectly 30PSI......

i always got around 31-32MPG...
Old 06-16-2004
Autocross Junky

Hm, sounds like your crowning the tire to help the rear end rotate (By giving the rear tires less of a contact patch). have you checked your alignment? You may have an excessive amount of Toe in, which would cause alot of understeer, and possibly you may have too much toe in on the back. What camber settings do you run?

I'm curious about this because its pretty rare to see a FWD car run higher PSI on the back Vs the front for solo 2. When I did run my Civic with 17s on it, I ran 45 Front and 35 Rear, when I switched to my 15s with Falken Azenis, the front droped to 41-42, and the rears to 32. Now that I have More Negitive camber in the front I suspect the front preasure will drop even more.
Old 06-16-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
higher psi will give you better mileage, but more wear on the tires

... I let the page sit for about an hour and came back to it, I now noticed my post was already mentioned, sorry for the repeat..
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
33 front and 32 rear 215/45/-17 Toyo Proxes

34mpg average city/highway

If your pressure is too high for daily driving, its going to be harsh..based on my experience. The dealership changed my tire pressure to 45psi when I brought it in for service. I can immediately tell that the tire pressure has changed.
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
so...For 205/40/17's , 34psi is the best?
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

33 front and 32 rear? interesting.......................

how about that number?

how abou 34 front and rear?

ACTUALLY....for OEM STOCK steelies....30 front and rear, right???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air pressure for 215/45/R17?