Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic whining noise..where the #@% is it coming from?

Old 08-07-2002
Laz
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laz is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic whining noise..where the #@% is it coming from?

Hi,

First, I was really suprise how noisy my Civic LX is. I don't remember it being this noisy on the test drive. However, I can take that as long as it's road noise, but from the very beginning I heard an annoying whining sound coming from somewhere in the car. Not sure if it's in the engine bay, transmission or the wheels.

The sound is faint and not very noticable on most occations. It's like something's turning in rotation, almost like a wheel bearing or something, but not as load or deep. It's kind of high, and most of the time, can be drawn out by the road noice. It's most prevelent at 2500 rpm, doing about 65mph. It's also noticable between 30-45mph. I'm going crazy trying to pin-point this noise. I've taken it to the dealer, and of course, they could not hear the noise. They kept telling me it was road noise. I heard that it can be caused by anything from the ac compressor going out, to the bearing in the transmission.

Can anybody help me a little, especially if you've had something similar? I've had many new cars, including Hondas, and never had this problem. I know this is not normal, I just need help in pin-pointing it more so that I can help the dealer find it, if I'm making sense here. Other then that, the car has been perfect.

Any help appreciated.

Laz
Old 08-07-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you might have some "un-balanced" tires. If the sound is only noticed at certain speeds, I'd have the tires rebalanced first, go to a good automotive shop and get that done.

If this "fixes" the problem take the reciept to the dealer and try to get a refund or a credit. Good Luck!! though, but try it anyway. A good shop should only charge you about $30 to $40 for the service.

Old 08-08-2002
Registered!!

kenji4861 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem on my new 2002 civic.

My dad just told me Hondas do that, so haven't done anything about it. But it bugs me and it's not road noise.

Try letting go of the pedal around 35-40mph... .the noise disappears.

if you find a solution, let me know.
Old 08-08-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: kenji4861
I have the same problem on my new 2002 civic.

My dad just told me Hondas do that, so haven't done anything about it. But it bugs me and it's not road noise.

Try letting go of the pedal around 35-40mph... .the noise disappears.

if you find a solution, let me know.[hr]
Honda's aren't suppose to "do that", mine is very quiet, I'd have your car checked out soon.

Old 08-08-2002
Laz
Registered!!

You're right on that one. I let the gas peddle go and the noise basically goes away. It's kind of weird..you have to be the owner to notice the difference. Today I let it idle for few minutes while I listen to the engine with the hood up. The only thing that seemed unusual was the ac compressor. It was making a wierd sound, but not exactly the same sound as the whining sound. The only thing I can think of is that when the hood is closed, it sounds different. Anyway, I'm taking to the dealer and pointing this out to them to see if that might be the problem.

Laz
Old 08-09-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
i'm not sure if mines the same noise but i only hear mine when the car is warm and i push on the gas... it doesnt matter what gear i'm in, i could be in D, P, R, N, as long as i push on the gas i hear it... it gets faint after the car cools down tho but once its fully warm again, i hear it.
Old 08-19-2002
Laz
Registered!!

Well, I took it in to the dealer and they listen to it and compared to other 02 Civics. The conclusion is that it's normal noise that these cars make. I was there and they let me take another 02 Civic around the block and it was making the same annoying noise, but only slightly quiter them mine. The guy said that the Hondas really have no noise damping materials in them. Driving this car is like driving with the windows down..you can hear everything.

My conclusion..the Honda Civic has got to be one of the loudest, noisest cars around (I have no idea how I missed this on the test drive). The road and engine noise, in my opinion, is almost intolorable. I'm very disappointed with this. In fact, my friend's Toyota Echo is quiter, as well as many cars out-there that I've driven in.

I actaully tried to trade it in this pass weekend on another car, but I'm too upside down on it (dealers were tyring to rip me off. What a surprise!). I'll give it another 8-12 months and try again. Oh well, it's not such a bad car for now. It's really very good, economical transportation. I just wish it was a little quiter.

Laz
Old 08-19-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Hondas are noisier than most cars in general. This is a pretty well known fact. I only find the car to be particularly loud on the interstate at 70mph and above. My 00 accord ex-vl was just as noisy if not noisier than my vic. Next time, take a more intense test drive.
Old 08-20-2002
Registered!!

I still don't buy it. My 02 EX is very quiet, there is some road noise on the highway but around town you can't hear anything under the hood except for the motor reving between shifts. ( BTW I have excelent hearing, I just had it checked a few months back[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]) My friends Accord is much quieter on the highway but the only difference around town is you can't hear the street noise, (people, horns, construction, etc.) as much. Also my car is totally stock, including those "wonderful" Firestones
Old 08-20-2002
Registered!!

Speedy is an unknown quantity at this point
I once had a problem with wind noise. Traveling about 70 to 80 mph.

Found out that it was coming from the hood of the car. If you would look at the hood where they have the cross members, one of the welds on the cross members came loose.

Don't know if this helps you guys any. But check it out.

Old 08-20-2002
Registered!!

tenseinobi7 is an unknown quantity at this point
its not the tires or road noise. my 01 ex does the same whine thingy so i know exactly what you're talking about. it does it when i'm driving or stopped, rain or shine, hot or cold. basically, it is completely random. i have talked to other honda and civic owners and yes, it IS apparently something that honda's just do... like not starting sometimes when you're below 1/4 tank of gas. to me, it sounds like its coming from the AC somehow but i've never actually pinpointed it. no problems though... i'm sure it will be fine.

c
Old 08-21-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
Yeah I get this sound too, its like someone blowing over a bottle, the sound repeats maybe 3-4 times a second.... sounds like something spinning or rubbing, or something like that, most of the time my exhaust drowns it out... I don't know how long its been going on for but I just noticed it and its really annoying. Its like If I shift to neutral it goes away but If I accelerate or have the cruise on I can hear it around 55-65 and sometimes about 35... Hopefully you guys are right and its nothing to worry about, my warranty is about up... but with all my mods they probably wouldn't cover anything anyways...
Old 08-21-2002
Laz
Registered!!

I think I'm getting over it. I'm actully enjoying my Civic more now that I know that it's pretty much the norm on all the Civics. This car is pretty noisy, but enjoyable to drive, nonetheless. Lately I've been averaging between 34-36 mpg in my auto Civic, which I think not too many cars out there can do for what you get (I've had a couple of VW TDI cars that got awsome diesel milage, but other then that, not much compares). This has got me pretty hooked since I commute 30 miles to and from work. Oh well, as long as it does not affect the performance, reliability of my Civic, I think I can learn to live with it for a while.

Laz[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]