Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0122 Throttle body sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whittam is an unknown quantity at this point
P0122 Throttle body sensor

2002 Civic 1.7l 4 door keeps showing a Check engine light, 3 times in last 2 years. Code behind the light is P0122 throttle body sensor. I buy a can of carb/throttle body cleaner and empty the can into the throttle body. Light typically goes our or I just reset it. I'm good to go for 4-6 months then the light comes on again. Can anyone explain what is going on electrically or with this sensor. Is the carb cleaner really doing anything or am I just getting lucky?
Has anyone changed this sensor which is riveted into the throttle body.
Thanks Terry
Old 09-20-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0122 Throttle body sensor

Code behind the light is P0122 throttle body sensor.
The code actually is defined as "Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage".
Can anyone explain what is going on electrically or with this sensor.
The definition above explains what the computer thinks is wrong.

Is the carb cleaner really doing anything or am I just getting lucky?
I think it's the latter of the two.

Has anyone changed this sensor which is riveted into the throttle body.
Honda makes you purchase the complete throttle body.
I have seen aftermarket sources that say they sell the sensor by itself...

Those are not rivets, they are really screws that had breakaway heads. A sort of tamper resistant bolt.

Properly adjusting the sensor after replacement is critical to proper operation of the engine.
Old 03-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RMYLY is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: P0122 Throttle body sensor

Had the same code...and car did not want to shift properly..it would rev to 3000 rpm b4 shifting heavily into gear..did not trust it on hiway,so never had it over 40klm/hr.
Anyway after much research and planning to either change TPS or the entire throttle-body..decided to do some maintence which i needed anyway..
Changed air-filter,plugs and specific to the throttle concern...used the body-cleaner and totally cleaned body,especially inside and seafoamed it afterward.
Noticed a ring of carbon/gunk around the body where the plate sits at idle and spent lots of time cleaning it well.
Result is that the code has stayed off for over 500klm Of driving so far...previously it was returning within 10-20klm of city driving.( after pulling #6 fuse and resetting)
Sure theyre are those that will find it a coincidence but im sure that this repaired the p0122 code problem.
If u have neglected maintenance ,air-filter,plugs etc. i would definetly do this prior to changing TPS/THROTTLE-BODY.
Good-luck.