cluster sweep test procedure - 01 civic lx speedo and tach issue

Old 11-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sw civic is an unknown quantity at this point
cluster sweep test procedure - 01 civic lx speedo and tach issue

Hey guys, I recently bought a car that had a bunch of aftermarket parts on it that I'm taking off and returning to stock. The car came with a set of those glow gauges and I took them off this afternoon. When the gauges were on the speedo and tach worked fine. I noticed when I took off the aftermarket gauges that my speedo and my tach aren't working correctly. The tach works but for some reason it starts out at 3000rpms. The speedo does the same thing (starts out at 40km or so). Anyone ever run into this issue or know what the issue is?
Old 11-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough
Re: 01 civic lx speedo and tach issue

You can try the sweep test, sometimes it will fix problems like this. Run it a few times.

1. Push and hold the trip/reset button.
2. Turn the lighting switch on.
3. Turn the ignition switch on.
4. Within 5 seconds, turn the lighting switch OFF, then ON and OFF again.
5. Within 5 seconds, release the trip/reset button, then push and release the button 4 times repeatedly.

This starts the Gauge cluster self diagnostics.
The beeper will sound, the lights will flash, the LCD will flash, and most importantly, the needles will sweep all the way back and forth. If they/one does NOT sweep properly, replace the cluster.
Old 11-25-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot. Does the car need to be running or just the key turned to acc?
Old 11-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The instructions don't say anything about starting the engine.

Reread them. If you can't figure out the instructions, you will never get the sweep test to run.

It actually sounds like one circuit common to both of the gauges is missing.
Old 11-25-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

More precisely:

Press and hold odometer/trip/rest button, turn parking lights ON, turn ignition to ON(position II), turn parking lights OFF, ON, OFF, then press odometer button 4 times.

And video:

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1347& transactionid=1353902930-758515094&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_v ideo_id=cvgaAKP0Ga4[/autostream]

Last edited by Matt_75; 11-25-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2012
Registered!!

The instructions don't say anything about the car being running or the car being off. Was just asking for clarification.
Old 11-26-2012

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sw civic
The instructions don't say anything about the car being running or the car being off. Was just asking for clarification.
Umm yeah they kind of do. It's telling you to go to the ON position(position II) from the OFF position(position I). They never say to start the car or go to position III(start). Maybe they're assuming you have a little bit of common sense.
Old 11-26-2012
Registered!!

Wow, you're a great help here bud . If you don't have anything to contribute to the thread then stop posting in it. Thanks to everyone else who responded.

I got the diagnostic test to go a few times and the rpm needle stops at 2000rpm while the speedo stops at 40km/hr. Almost like the car thinks that this is the starting position of the needles. Is the cluster ****ed? Any idea what would cause this, all I did was peel off the indiglo gauges. Everything worked fine when they were on.
Old 11-27-2012

Is there any way possible someone may have changed the wiring for the indiglo gauges to work correctly?
Old 11-27-2012
Registered!!

The only wiring that I saw was he was stealing power from the cigarette lighter. Everything else is just an overlay. I'm going to the wreckers on the weekend. Hopefully I can find a cluster there. They have a 2001 2dr and 2003 4 door both 5 speed in the yard so hopefully somebody hasn't picked it apart.
Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

alright so I'm looking to pick up another tach from a wrecker. I called around and gave the model # and they all asked if my car has side airbags. I looked it up online and it said it was optional on the lx. Probably a stupid question but how can I find out if my car has side airbags? I don't have the manuals. Is there another spot on the car that says if it's side airbag equipped?
Old 12-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Side airbags are the ones in the side of each front seat.
If equipped, there should be a tag sewn into the seam along the outer edge, nearest to the door.
Somewhere between where your shoulder and your elbow would be?
Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

awesome thanks