Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

how to test o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keithriej is an unknown quantity at this point
how to test o2 sensor?

Hi guys. I have a 04 civic ex manual trans. It feels like my car has been having power loss for the pass few years and my gas mileage sucks. Just recently my car just got CEL code of P0134, which i believe might be that the primary oxygen sensor is bad. I wanted to test it before replacing it because its like $200 for the dam sensor. I checked the resistance on the connector between terminal 3 and 4 according to service manual. I got 1.3 ohms. the manual says 10-40 ohms. Does that mean its bad? Any input is good guys. thnx!
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
antrmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how to test o2 sensor?

unplug the sensor and drive, the car will revert back to a stock program and should run ok, if it still runs bad then could be another issue.isnt p0134 missfire?,if so that would explain liw power,, check plugs and wires.new ?old?..
Old 09-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

"P0134: A/F Sensor (Sensor 1) No Activity Detected"

It is not an Oxygen sensor. It is an Air/Fuel sensor. Looks about the same, has the same purpose, does a similar job, but is definitely not the same, does not work the same, and cannot be interchanged with an Oxygen sensor. PCM programming is completely different for use with this type of sensor.

Here is the extent of what needs to be tested:
Make sure it wasn't running out of gas when the code set.
Clear the code. Drive it, see if the code returns.
That's it.

Note: They can be intermittent at failing.

You aren't going to do any other tests than what I just posted above. (That really is about the extent of the factory diag info.)
Just replace the sensor after it sets the code again.

Use the correct OE part or NTK brand part.

HTH
Old 09-07-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by keithriej
$200 for the dam sensor.
Always makes me glad I have a 2002 when I read stuff like this.
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keithriej is an unknown quantity at this point

thnx for all the input guys. I just ordered 36531-PLR-003 SENSOR, LAF off majestic honda. Just to confirm, this is the air/fuel sensor right? And it's the one by the headers before the cat? I have 98k on my car now, is it common for these to go out at this time for our vics?
Old 09-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

98k, average.

First sensor, check. Before the cat.
The rear sensor is in the middle of, or after the cat.

Part number, whatever you looked up. Did you pick the correct car?

I looked up a 4 door EX, 36531-PLR-003, the list price on Majestic is the correct current MSRP.
Old 09-08-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by keithriej
thnx for all the input guys. I just ordered 36531-PLR-003 SENSOR, LAF off majestic honda. Just to confirm, this is the air/fuel sensor right? And it's the one by the headers before the cat? I have 98k on my car now, is it common for these to go out at this time for our vics?
Yes, it looks like you chose the correct p/n for sensor near headers.