Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ECT Sensor Location/Replacement

Old 04-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seahorse12 is an unknown quantity at this point
ECT Sensor Location/Replacement

Hello experts,
I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX Sedan. I need to replace the ECT Sensor but have no idea where is it and how to do it. I googled but couldnt find a DIY with any pictures that could help me.

Can someone please help me figure out where is the ECT Sensor? Is it towards the front or back? Can I replace it myself or should I go to the mechanic? Pictures would greatly help...

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ECT Sensor Location/Replacement

At the back of the cylinder head (over the bellhousing), near the EGR valve, it is a 2 wire sensor sticking straight up...it is black.

There can be several different sensors in one area, so you should always double check the wire colors to make sure of which one you are messing with.

Wire colors are for the computers ECT are red/white and green/yellow.
Old 04-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seahorse12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello ezone,
Thanks for the reply. I dug around a bit based on your response and I think I located the sensor. However, before I go ahead and replace it, I wanted to confirm if what I found is indeed the Engine Collant Temperature Sensor. I am pressing on the wiring for the temp sensor (the sensor itself is the small thing to the left of my finger)

I took a picture of it. Can you please let me know if it is the ECT sensor that I am holding the wiring for in the picture (I think the big black cap thing which has Seimens written on top is the EGR valve).

Can you please confirm if that is the ECT sensor?

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20120402_184930.jpg
Views:	23191
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	82974  

Last edited by seahorse12; 04-03-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 04-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the wire colors match what I posted from my wiring diagram info above, then you can assume that that is the correct sensor. And yes, it looks right.

And yes, the other thing with the sticker on top is the EGR valve.

HTH