Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic LX 1.7L Vibration at idle?

Old 02-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats a Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic LX 1.7L Vibration at idle?

This is kind of a re=hash of another post I made, but with new updated info. Looking for some feedback please.

I bought a 2004 Honda Civic LX 1.7L about a year ago. It had 118k miles when I bought it, but now it has about 124k.

Once the car starts the idle sits about 1.5k rpm, once it warns up it drops to about 600-700rpm. As the rpm drop from 1.5k to 700rpm the vibration gets significantly worse.

I am trying to find out what is causing the vibration at idle and prevent it.

Here are things that have been done to the car so far that I know of [I bought the car at 118k]:

1) I have replaced the 3 motor mounts with ones from Auto Zone [Don't know brand, was generic]. (When I first bought it)

2) I replaced the exhaust to a fairly stock one (Which I wonder why? Did it add performance?)

3) It has a AMF cold air intake, that goes to the bottom of the car

4) I Replaced the spark plugs a year ago (When I first got it)

5) I just recently did a piston compression test and found the cylinders to be:
Cylinder 1: 185 PSI (1275 KPA)
Cylinder 2: 185.5 PSI (1280 KPA)
Cylinder 3: 190.5 PSI (1310 KPA)
Cylinder 4: 200.5 PSI (1380 KPA)
The Honda Mechanics Manual says each cylinder should be between 10% of each other, which these meet the criteria.

6) I checked the timing with a timing light AND a OBDII computer reader to check the timing that both confirms it is in the range of 6-10 degrees, which according to the Mechanics manual for the 2004 Civic its 8 degrees + or - 2 degrees, so that seems ok.

Here is a dumb video I made, but it will show the engine:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TsNsX3Mzak[/YOUTUBE]

Here is an example of the vibration:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TTQ4fo51nA[/YOUTUBE]

There has to be something I'm missing. Does anyone have some insight?

-Whats A Civic
Old 02-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 Civic LX 1.7L Vibration at idle?

Long video is too long.

It is a small 4 cylinder engine that has no balance shafts.
It vibrates at idle.
They all do to a certain extent. It is expected. They are not "glass smooth".

Cheap aftermarket motor mounts transmit more vibration into the body than factory mounts. (Meaning you probably installed a bigger problem than you had to begin with.)

Compare yours to an identical car that has no complaints.

All the clicking noises are normal, or "average", too. Most of it is the fuel injectors.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

toucansam333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing to check is make sure you have the correct drivers' side mount. I had this same problem once where the wrong mount was given and it looks similar. The sedan and coupe mount are different and some part stores do not discriminate . Here is a link of a thread a few down on this page covering this.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ne-mounts.html
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you noticed any difference with the A/C on or off? I had my A/C recharged at 105k. HUGE rises and drops in RPM, even at a stop. Turns out my compressor was going out. I confirmed they put in the right pressure, but the compressor couldn't handle it anymore. They decreased it to where I could live with it till payday. Had the compressor worked on, refilled to correct pressure, and the little RPM dance stopped. They had also told me that if it didn't fix the issue, it could be a leak in the manifold.

Any of the pros feel free to confirm/deny this. Just relaying what I was told.