Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Honda EX---Coolant in overflow tank and car overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
needhondahelp is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Honda EX---Coolant in overflow tank and car overheating

Hi Everyone!
I have a 2005 Ex with problems that started about a year ago and are continually getting worse. Last year the car started over heating when we checked the coolant it was almost empty. So we refilled it let the car cool off then drove home. When we pulled in the drive collant started blowing out everywhere, so we replaced the thermostat and the car seemed to work fine for a while. Now when it is at idle for a few mins(only sometimes) it will overheat. We have replaced the fan switches, radiator cap, and several thermostats. It seems as if once the car gets hot/runs all of the coolant gets sucked into the overflow tank. Now the overflow tank is way over the max fill line. Also even after the car is cooled off the radiator cap is still pressurized.

When I have taken it to the shop they think i am crazy because it only overheats sometimes. Several people have told me it sounds like a blown head gasket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2005 Honda EX---Coolant in overflow tank and car overheating

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Might wanna head over to this. Seems like it may be a HG. You've thrown tons of money at symptoms but not the cause.
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

With these cars it's usually the thermostat or head gasket. Since you've replaced the thermostat multiple times I'd have to agree with the head gasket being the problem, very common on 7th gen's.
Old 11-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

unless he used aftermarket thermostat and its only opening 1/2 of what it should be.
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Ya he says he tried "several thermostats" so I assume at least one of those was OEM...
Old 11-08-2011
Registered!!

needhondahelp is an unknown quantity at this point

The first one was after market and the second came from Honda. Thanks for all the posts. I got sick of wasting money so I dropped it off at the shop yesterday but haven't heard from them yet. I will update when I hear something.