Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Civic EX Oil Pan Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smythley is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic EX Oil Pan Replacement?

Any tips/tricks to this? What are the torque specs to puttinng pan back on? Order of tightening the bolts/nuts?

Looked for a DIY write-up but couldn't find one.

It looks as simple as drain the oil, remove tranny/pan brackets, maybe remove part of exhaust, and unbolt pan. Clean up gasket surface, slap on new gasket, and retighten...
Old 08-07-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Civic EX Oil Pan Replacement?

http://autoban.com.ru:8080/manual/i45Dcontents.htm

That should help you along. Let me know if you can't navigate the site.
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

Smythley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks tbohar. Helped a ton. One question about the proper sequence of tightening...

Tighten all bolts and nuts, stating from nut (1), clockwise in 3 steps. In the final step, tighten all bolts, in sequence to 12 Nm (1.2 kgf/m, 8.7 lbf/ft).

Does this mean hand tighten the 6 that they mention, and then start at nut 1 and simply go clockwise tightening every bolt on the whole pan 3 times, just a little bit tighter every time, till on the last pass putting a torque wrench on?

Or does it mean go clockwise, and torquing to spec, skipthe next two you come to and tighten the third one all the way to spec, and just repeat the process going around the pan till all are tight?

My question may be clear as mud...
Old 08-07-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Snug them up, then torque them in that sequence 3 times to achieve a total of 8.7 ft/lbs... Which is really low? But anyway, torque to 3ft/lbs, 6 ft/lbs, then 8.7ft/lbs in that sequence. Obviously that's hard to achieve with a torque wrench so go with zee feeling for the first two and torque to the spec on the third pass ( like you mentioned ) I'm sure you can "Snug" them up by hand out of sequence because your not really applying oil pan warping force to the bolts lol

In Sequence Of: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 skipping the ones inbetween. I hope that answers your question.
Old 12-21-2011
Registered!!

RavynX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks on the torque-spec site. I'm looking to replace the oil pan and gasket on my brother's 2002 Civic EX. Was it difficult removing it? Do you have to mess with the subframe or is it just the exhaust that's in the way? I haven't been able to find anything remotely helpful on the topic; no photos, nothing.
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pnamajck is an unknown quantity at this point

appreciate the link to the specs, BlueEM2 . . . had no idea this info was online . . . took only one or two minutes to navigate their site.