Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2004 Auto Transmission Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stevelaw18 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Auto Transmission Solenoid

I've been having occasional shifting issues. It seems like whenever I am decelerating, but not to the point where I perform a complete stop, and then begin to accelerate the transmission will act strange. It will sometimes jerk into gear, other times it feels like it does not want to immediately move into gear.

The main times I notice it is in traffic on the highway, where there is a lot of slowing down and accelerating, or when slowing down for a stop sign, but not completely stopping. If I stop completely, and then accelerate, it seems fine. It seems like it's always between 1st and 2nd gear.

I know the 7th gen civics have a lot of tranny issues, but I have not seen any mention of the AT solenoid going bad. My tranny symptoms seem to point to that being a potential issue.

Does anyone else have these AT issues? What are the chances that it may be the AT solenoid? Where is it even located (internal/external/etc)?

Last year, I did three AT fluid drain & re-fills, so the fluid should be in good condition. The AT fluid is also at the proper level.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough
Re: 2004 Auto Transmission Solenoid

I'd consider checking your motor mounts, particularly the front mount just to make sure they're okay. Perhaps some excessive movement of the engine/transmission is being felt in the cabin during those types of manuvers (slowing down then rapid acceleration).

I'm not confident about the shifting logic of the AT, or symptoms of a bad solenoid, so I have no comment in that regard (hopefully someone else here does).
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by green01civic
I'd consider checking your motor mounts, particularly the front mount just to make sure they're okay. Perhaps some excessive movement of the engine/transmission is being felt in the cabin during those types of manuvers (slowing down then rapid acceleration).

I'm not confident about the shifting logic of the AT, or symptoms of a bad solenoid, so I have no comment in that regard (hopefully someone else here does).
Thanks. The motor mounts look fine. There are a million complaints out there about the jerkiness of the Civic AT, even in the latest generation.(http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic...-15-mph-3.html). I'm just trying to find a solution...if one exists.

I know I saw a post from GearBox about tightening the throttle cable. I haven't tried this yet.

I've seen a bulliten released from Honda regarding replacing contaminated or faulty solenoids. Wasn't sure if anyone else knew about this, or tried it.
Old 06-13-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Did you go with oem fluid ??

To me the autos are most strange under the conditions you describe, I had to adjust to my 05s 4 speed's nature at first, then I had to adjust again for the 2010 5 spd. You have to ease back into into the throttle or it will act strange trying to determine a gear to be in.
Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Did you go with oem fluid ??

To me the autos are most strange under the conditions you describe, I had to adjust to my 05s 4 speed's nature at first, then I had to adjust again for the 2010 5 spd. You have to ease back into into the throttle or it will act strange trying to determine a gear to be in.
Yea, I used OEM. That's exactly what I do...gently press the throttle until in finds the gear. Really annoying.