Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Bad fuel pump?

Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laboon is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad fuel pump?

Hey guys,
I'm having trouble with the car not starting. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump, but I'm quite new to this civic, so I would like to get a second opinion of what the problem could be. The thing is the car only has 65,000 miles on it so I don't know if the pump could go bad this early. I bought the car when it has 60,000 miles on it. The car is trying to start, but it shut off right away. There's not any code stored in the ECU when I check it either.

First of all, I have checked all coil on plugs with HEI spark tester and all of them have spark, so I believe all the coils are still working. All spark plugs also look normal, no carbon or anything like that. Then I think the problem might be the fuel, so I turn the key to ON and listen to the fuel pump and it is making the noise for about 2 secs. However, there isn't any fuel coming out of the fuel line. I took out the two main relays and give them power using 9V battery and both of them does the clicking noise. I touched the 1 and 2 leg with ohm meter(2000k) and it's giving me 0 reading. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right though. But I think they are still ok.

Do you guys think the problem might be the fuel pump? I went to the dealer and ask them if they sell a fuel filter for this car and they told me you can't change the fuel filter on these cars... I was thinking the filter might be clogged or something. Any suggestion on what else I should check?

Thanks!

Edit: It's a 2005 civic EX

Last edited by Laboon; 05-16-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Bad fuel pump?

It sounds like your well on your way with the diagnosis, but I can contribute two things right away..

1. The dealer is inncorrect, the fuel pump is located underneath the rear seat in the gas tank and can be changed.

2. A faulty crank shaft position sensor, even a bad connection to one, will prevent the car from starting when if it has spark and fuel and won't always throw a code. It sounds like fuel is the issue, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the quick reply! yea, I thought it was kinda odd that you can't change fuel filter... I will try another dealer tomorrow since they refused to sell the filter to me. If still no luck on that, then I guess I will just order the whole fuel pump assembly for 180 bucks off the net.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

You can get a fuel filter from rockauto.com for like 25 bucks, I just did it (A Beck/Arnley branded aftermarket part. Fits fine, looks virtually identical to the old honda part.). They're idiots if they say it can't be changed. You may even be able to find it at an AutoZone, NAPA, or Advanced Auto Parts... or whoever you have around you.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by green01civic
You can get a fuel filter from rockauto.com for like 25 bucks, I just did it (A Beck/Arnley branded aftermarket part. Fits fine, looks virtually identical to the old honda part.). They're idiots if they say it can't be changed. You may even be able to find it at an AutoZone, NAPA, or Advanced Auto Parts... or whoever you have around you.
Could you please give me the part number that you ordered on rockauto? I tried searching on rockauto and only thing that come close to it is the fuel strainer. I checked autozone and O'reilly and they don't have it.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

If you have the same fuel pump I do (I have an 01 Civic EX, and this is posted in the 7th gen forum, after all), then it's: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=6208

Also make sure to get a new fuel line retainer, since the new filter doesn't come with one, and just in case you break the old one getting it off (and hey, its supposed to be replaced anyway, I guess for safety reasons). It's a 3/8" retaining clip, and can be found at your local auto parts store.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

And use a coupon code from here when ordering to get 5% off: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Thanks! I'm gonna take out the fuel pump to confirm if it's the same kind of pump. on rockhonda, only the 2005 civic doesn't have the fuel filter listed... I looked at 2001-2004 and it's there. lol

edit: I mean rockauto, not rockhonda -_-

Last edited by Laboon; 05-16-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ It's the same. The only difference would be with the wiring. The manual says the wiring is the same for all 7th gen.
Old 05-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^
+1 I just looked up the part numbers on majestic honda and they're the same for 04 and 05.

These are the honda part #s, it gives two options..

17045-S5A-A00
MODULE ASSY., FUEL PUMP (YACHIYO)

17045-S5A-A31
MODULE ASSY., FUEL PUMP (KAUTEX)
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

hey guys,
it's me again... I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter today, but I still have the same problem. Car tries to start then shut off right away.

Anything else that I should try to replace? I have no clue anymore of what to check. It won't spit out the fuel and there was no pressure at all when I released the fuel cap.

Can a bad fuel regulator cause this problem?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Inspect the fuel lines and have it scanned for codes.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

I have inspected the fuel lines earlier today and they are still good. I checked for the codes again just now and there's still no code.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

May be the regulator. You know where it is, right? Bottom of the fuel pump assembly.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

yup I know where it is. It connects to one of the black plastic hose thing from the filter. I might have to order the part off rockauto again. Autozone and OReilly don't have the exact one...

I will report back once I changed it.
thanks again.
Old 08-26-2013
Registered!!

ipeace is an unknown quantity at this point

I am facing almost the same issue in my 2005 civic dx 1.5 engine (non vtech) I changes spark plugs oil filter fuel tank filter transmission oil (even stp fuel system cleaner) After changing above things it got little better but still its very bad. But my car will start slow pick up while accelerating in the stop or red signal light. Meaning i will be pressing the gas paddle all the way and there will be no rpm going up then 2000 and suddenly it will get the gas from no where and start running good. The mechanics are saying might be any sensor, very possible chance is it is fuel pump. It also start with little hesitation some times. Some mechanics are saying its fuel injector. I am not sure which direction to spend money. Please guide honda lovers.
Old 05-04-2015
Registered!!

dd614 is an unknown quantity at this point

I Was having the same problem with my 2002 Honda Civic EX i was told by a mechanic that it was the fuel pump and it was going to cost me 700 dollars for him to change it So i took it some where else thinking he was just trying to rip me off...just didnt add up to me. turns out it wasn't the fuel pump at all it was the coolant pump. So check that

Last edited by dd614; 05-04-2015 at 09:22 AM.