Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Replacing Air Cleaner Box for 2002 Honda Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011
DAC
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing Air Cleaner Box for 2002 Honda Civic LX

Hello all,

This is my first post. I drive a 2002 Honda Civic LX. In the last few months, I have decided to become more auto savvy with the intention of doing basic repairs myself.

I ran into a problem trying to change the air cleaner. The screws for the air cleaner cover were rusted and wouldn't come out. They would just spin in place when I would try to get them out with my ratchet. Anyway, I did get the cover off after breaking the plastic on both the cover and the case set (the bottom part). I ordered replacement screws and an air cleaner cover and case from Majestic Honda. (The threads on the screws were gone, and a few fused into case's metal holes. I read that this was common since the engine's heat over time can do that.)

I took off the bolts for the case. In fact, they came off easy. But the case still won't come off. I know it has to be disconnected from the hoses (i.e. the tube breather and the grommet on the left. I did manage to remove the sensor assembly on the right without destroying it.

But is there something else I'm missing?

Here is a photo I took a few days ago and uploaded to Image Shack. (Note I removed the screw in the middle today. I previously removed the bolts, as I wrote.)

Thanks in advance.

D------
Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Replacing Air Cleaner Box for 2002 Honda Civic LX

Look under the box where it goes into the throttlebody (look from the driver's side). Unscrew the band around the throat of the trottlebody. Then disconnect the hose from the valve cover side. It'll be a little snug coming off but, will come off.
Old 04-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

and you need a top and bottom cover. the threads are in the bottom cover. next time only hand tighten the screws with a screwdriver and not a socket wrench.
Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I tell ya what, I'm about done with my stock airbox. I think it's time to go with the short ram. lol
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

thewal will become famous soon enough

I have one if you are interested. let me know.
Old 04-10-2011
DAC
Registered!!

DAC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, lazlong. It was the band for the throttle cable. Surprisingly, the screw for it wasn't damaged like the others and came out easy.

As I previously said, I had ordered the case, top cover, and screws from Honda Majestic. (I had bought a new filter at Autozone.)

I WD-40ed the screws and bolts before installing the new air box.

I should add that it wasn't easy reinstalling it. It was tough trying to align the case with the rubber grommet on the left and the breather tube. (For the latter, I still have to get the clip to its front so it's properly secured, but I need something small to pull the tabs [right word?] back and slide it into place.)

My problem is I'm always afraid that if I use too much force, I will damage something. But I got it done (and didn't over-tighten the screws and bolts.)

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Last edited by DAC; 04-10-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2011
Registered!!

^^ Slip it over the TB first, then match it to the big air box and the vacuum hose to the valve cover.