Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front Motor Mount

Old 02-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Front Motor Mount

Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the front motor mount going bad more then once. It seems that the rubber Honda used for parts is not that strong. I had to replace my lower control arm bushings once so far and they are holding up.
However I changed my motor mounts all around about 1 year ago and today I seen only the front one is broken. I did hit a pole this winter, besides some bumper damage there wasnt much damage. I am wondering if it happened from this. Has anyone had this problem with motor mounts going bad this fast, I am not hard on my car. Thanks all
Old 02-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Front Motor Mount

ALL the plastics in this era of Honda engineering were horrible failures, whether they be for gaskets, bushings or dashboards.

The OEM control arm and motor mount bushings will continually fail, because the quality of the materials have not been improved since replacement parts were introduced. The solution is upgrading to energy suspension bushings for slightly more money or DIYing the pushings with a harder material. Links to DIYs below.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...or-mounts.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-bushings.html
Old 02-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the front one always breaks, and often too. next time put the energy suspension poly bushing inserts in the front mount. thats what i did when mine tore and its been holding up great. little bit more vibration in the chassis but i hardly even notice anymore.
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yea I was thinking that since this is the second one already, and $50 dollars a pop is getting old, however I don't want the crazy vibration, would it be bad if I was to just upgrade the front one to energy and leave the rest OEM? Also is it just the rubber insert I change if I get the energy upgrade, or the whole mount? If its just the insert how exactly does it work? Glue or something? Thanks

Edit: Think I will feel more vibration with the DIY poly mounts mentioned above or the energy mount? I am thinking the energy mount would provide for a better ride let me know what you guys think. I hate these poorly designed OEM mounts

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 02-13-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats what i did. i wouldnt do more than just the front mount. and over time, the small amount of vibration you feel will go away. my car is just like stock now after the mount got broken in. the energy kit comes with four pieces, two for front mount and two for rear. the rears dont even really fit without trimming anyway. front is perfect fit. you take the old mount off, then put one insert on each side of the mount like bread of a sandwich. it will fit like a puzzle, but you may need to spray them with silicone lube to make it easier. you dont need any tools, just press it in with your hand. hold them in place and put the mount back on the car. they will stay put once you reinstall it.
Old 03-02-2011
I haven't been here in a long time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

Has anyone come upon a replacement motor mount that is better than the honda one? without using the ES inserts.
Old 03-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^I've heard there's a company making all alumium bushings, the vibrations on those are a bit higher than OEM lol
Old 03-02-2011

mkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

well see I dont mind getting stock replacements. I would like to stay away from hard mounts as possible only because my gf drives the car and...well I'd like to think shes delicate lol.
Old 03-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^I'd opt for the DIY route then, that makes it simple for you to adjust the hardness to something your gf is comfortable with without the low quality OEM plastic that will break within months.
Old 03-02-2011
Premium Member

doing ES inserts to the front mount is almost not noticable. they are still soft, it just fills in more of the bushing instead of leaving it hollowed. after a while they will break in and it will feel same as stock. took mine a few months and now i cant even feel them anymore.
Old 03-02-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mkymonkey
well see I dont mind getting stock replacements. I would like to stay away from hard mounts as possible only because my gf drives the car and...well I'd like to think shes delicate lol.

Haha. Yeah, I've got the both the ES front and rear mounts installed. You will definately hear every rattle imaginable and feel a constant vibration, for sure. Who knows, your girlfriend might enjoy driving the car more.
Old 03-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Who knows, your girlfriend might enjoy driving the car more.
I burst out laughing in the middle of my 15th century art history class after reading this.
Old 03-03-2011

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Haha. Yeah, I've got the both the ES front and rear mounts installed. You will definately hear every rattle imaginable and feel a constant vibration, for sure. Who knows, your girlfriend might enjoy driving the car more.
Lol don't want her to get more addicted to the car than me....
Old 03-03-2011
Premium Member

haha +1 if you do both front and rear, it will feel like a constant vibrating chair. the ingalls stiffy damper (on the softest setting) is even more vibration than the mount inserts.
Old 03-03-2011

Well right now the car is already super vibrating massager lol. The driver side mountt is cracked, I have boy checked the front and rearounts but I'm sure they're broken as well. The car was up on jacks for over a year and a half, so I'm assuming that's what caused it. Before parking the car, it didn't vibrate
Old 03-03-2011
Premium Member

wow usually the two side mounts never break, its always the front one