Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

anybody have bad wheel bearing?

Old 02-06-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
anybody have bad wheel bearing?

im not sure what it sounds like because i never had one go bad, but tonight driving around 55mph on a downhill (quiet) section of road i noticed a very loud and strange noise coming from the front driver wheel. it was very noticable with the windows up and sounded like a constant woo type noise. almost like crappy tires would sound like, but it was different than usual road noise. it also felt like there were rocks stuck in my tires and the car was shaking a bit even tho the road seemed smooth. when i slowed down a little to 40, everything went away. i dont normally drive faster than 45mph and rarely use freeways, so im wondering if this could be a problem. car seems to drive normally at lower speeds. i plan to check the play in the front wheels but other than that is there a way to tell if its bad wheel bearing?
Old 02-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: anybody have bad wheel bearing?

Mines been doing the exact same thing!
Old 02-06-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i feel like the whole suspension is falling apart. i wonder what shape the ball joints, tie rods, etc are in. and i dont have the money to take it to a shop and say do an inspection and tell me whats wrong. im sure the list will be a mile long. repair shops are such a ripoff.

is it normal for the front wheels to look like this \ / when the front is jacked up?

Last edited by gearbox; 02-06-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
i feel like the whole suspension is falling apart. i wonder what shape the ball joints, tie rods, etc are in. and i dont have the money to take it to a shop and say do an inspection and tell me whats wrong. im sure the list will be a mile long. repair shops are such a ripoff.

is it normal for the front wheels to look like this \ / when the front is jacked up?
Why not put it up on jack stands and check the suspension yourself?
Old 02-07-2011
Premium Member

yeah im planning to one of these days. i never know what to look for tho. all i see is a bunch of rust. i mean, i can wiggle parts and make sure theyre not loose, thats the extent of my suspension checking ability lol. i was planning to move the tires around and see if theres any play, maybe take wheels off too but i want to repaint everything thats why im waiting til summer.
Old 02-07-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

one of the autoX "technical" inspections is to hold the tires and shake. if you feel any play, things are in real bad shape... Naturally as you know, many things could be the cause
the wooo is an indication that the bearings might be going.
The camber going positive when lifted is normal, unless excessive (more than 2 deg? Hard to eyeball, though).
When you lift, rotate the tires, if they have kind of a "bump" instead of rotating smoothly, definitely bearings.

Unless Lazlong have better check methods
Now, is that for serious?!?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-07-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2011
Premium Member

ive spun the rear wheels before and heard scraping, but i think thats from the brakes dragging a little cause it gets worse if i pull up the ebrake a notch. fronts were smooth but i havent checked in a while. i do remember there being play when you try to turn the wheel left/right which i thought was also normal since its supposed to move like that when turning the steering wheel. i need to check everything again but im hoping its just cheap tires making noise. one review of these fuzions some guy said the noise is enough to make you crazy
Old 02-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh, the fuzion Zri i had on the miata was not much noisy, but again that is a convertible...
Old 02-08-2011
Premium Member

i wonder if too many deep potholes caused any problem. some of them are so bad i hear crunching sounds and there is no way to really avoid it without swerving into another lane. makes me glad im still on 15s with thick rubber, but im sure other suspension parts are getting messed.