Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Small oil leak on valve cover of 03...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinkerbell_too is an unknown quantity at this point
Small oil leak on valve cover of 03...

We have an 2003 civic lx 4cyl manual. We searched, but its a difficult oil leak to search on.

We have a slow oil leak we noticed around May when we cleaned the engine. Since we bought the car used, originally I wondered if it was just sloppy maintenance from the previous owner. We decided to clean it up and keep an eye on it. Well now its December and the oil is back. It looks to be coming from the inner most plug (closest to the intake) and running down the valve cover. I have not noticed any oil usage from the leak, but the shop said it could cause issues with the spark plug if I did not fix the leak.

Here is a pic point to were the leak is coming from...
Name:  Valvecoveroilleak.jpg
Views: 3010
Size:  193.3 KB

Don't have any pics of the leak as it got cleaned off before I got a pic.

What do I need to do to fix the leak? Is there a oil ring or seal that needs to be replaced.

Thank you!
Old 12-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Small oil leak on valve cover of 03...

You need part #6. While you have the valve cover off you might as well replace all 4.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DER+HEAD+COVER
Old 12-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
You need part #6. While you have the valve cover off you might as well replace all 4.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DER+HEAD+COVER
Just buy #1 and replace all the gaskets.
Old 12-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea you could do that. I reused most of my gaskets when I removed my valve cover and i havent had any problems... its preference, if your careful you really dont need to.
Old 12-24-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there are some areas that need silicone/hondabond around the gasket. if they stay in place when you reassemble it will prolly be fine, but if they peel off you will get a leak.
Old 12-24-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
there are some areas that need silicone/hondabond around the gasket. if they stay in place when you reassemble it will prolly be fine, but if they peel off you will get a leak.
What areas would need this? When you say "stay in place" do you mean the gasket will remain adhered to either the cover or the engine surface, when the valve cover is removed? And if so, which side am I wanting it to remain attached to. I can be very careful to help it release in the correct areas
Old 12-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

The gasket fits inside of a groove on the valve cover so it should come off with the cover. You put the silicone/hondabond in the corners mostly, or wherever you think it may need it.
Old 12-24-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you are replacing it, just pull everything off and carefully remove any silicone residue. do not scratch the mating surfaces tho. when you put the new gasket on, you have to add new silicone to specific areas that may not seal well using just a gasket. i need to look this info up in the manual. maybe in a few days cause its pretty crazy here with family and stuff.
Old 12-24-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sorry about the fuzzy pic, phone cam. It is 2MP tho. lol
Name:  valvecoverinstall.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  86.0 KB
Old 12-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I wish I had the real written manual, I only have the software copy so if I want certain things I have to print them out. I guess it's not a huge deal but it is nice to have the written
Old 12-24-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

That means you can take screen shots to provide pics.. :-P

You should totally hook me up with a copy, Tom
Old 12-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Naa, no need to take screenshots. It's all internet explorer based so you can just right click the picture, save it and post it up on your pic hosting place.
Old 12-24-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Actually, someone has the manual posted up right here on this forum. Looky here

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html

If that doesn't work look at this page, theres been an updated server or something:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...pdated-10.html
Old 12-24-2010
Registered!!

I wish I had the real written manual...
I've watched ebay and the used ones usually go for $35. Plus $10 shipping and it's dam near the price of a new one. You are probably just gonna have to break down and buy a Helms manual. Maybe ask Santa. lol.
Old 12-24-2010
Registered!!

thank you all so much... guess a trip to Honda for some parts is in order. I need to get a manual, can't seem to catch the autoparts stores with a helms in stock ever! The real manufactures manuals are so superior though. I definitely need to invest in one!
Old 12-25-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

use hondapartscheap.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com.. Sure, it'll take a bit longer to get your parts, and shipping costs kinda suck, but you'll still save money buying from there than the dealership.
Old 12-25-2010
Registered!!

sweet... will do... thanks again
Old 12-25-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell_too
thank you all so much... guess a trip to Honda for some parts is in order. I need to get a manual, can't seem to catch the autoparts stores with a helms in stock ever! The real manufactures manuals are so superior though. I definitely need to invest in one!
This one has everything from electrical diagrams and troubleshooting to diagnostic trees to, well, everything: http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...C01&itemtype=N
Old 12-25-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I used that same manual to change the head gasket and it often omits important steps that have to be done haha... but for the most part its an excellent manual.
Old 12-27-2010
Premium Member

thanks lazlong
Old 12-27-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Why buy a manual, when we have lazlong to take pictures of the manual for us
Old 12-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Because you can download it for free right from this website?
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Because you can download it for free right from this website?
That would actually involve using some brain cells. lol
Old 12-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by lazlong
That would actually involve using some brain cells. lol
You have a good point. I think I'm going to delete the one I have on my computer and just start asking you to post pics of stuff I need!! On a serious note, if you really want the "Book" copy, you can always print it right off the computer version. Probably be a lot cheaper buying paper and ink than it would be to buy the hardcopy, and I wouldn't be afraid to get it dirty. I don't personally see a need for that though.
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Too easy. Let me email it to your iphone.