Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 honda civic overheating when turn on heater any help would be appreciated

Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
escomonose is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 honda civic overheating when turn on heater any help would be appreciated

Can anyone help my car started overheating about a month ago. I thought i had fixed the problem but now if i turn on heather the car overheats in minutes. I replaced the radiator fan switch and the enginecoolant tempature sensor. didnt start with the thermastat because i know that usually turning on heater will cool down the engine. The tempature will go down as quickly as it goes up. The heater started to act funny as well sometimes it will blow hot air sometimes cold.

Last edited by escomonose; 11-28-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-28-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 honda civic overheating when turn on heater any help would be appreciated

what did you do when you thought you fixed the problem?
Old 11-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 honda civic overheating when turn on heater any help would be appreciated

Does hot air blow out of the vents when it's turned on?
Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

I replaced the engine coolant tempature sensor and the radiator fan switch. At first the fan was not working when it was supposed to. I know that usually when the thermastat is bad the heater will cool down the engine that is why i did not start with that. The car will cool off as fast as it heats up.
Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

sometimes the air is hot sometimes cold

Last edited by escomonose; 11-28-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

Sorry about the delay in response
Old 11-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd start with replacing the radiator cap and bleeding the coolant system. There might be air in there causing it to overheat. Are you sure you installed the sensor right? Does the fan work now?
Old 11-28-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

yep, I agree with Tom (tbohar).

I'd probably go as far as covering all bases while you're messing with the coolant system. Replace the radiator cap, flush the system, replace the thermostat, then fill/thoroughly bleed the coolant system. All those things are minimal costs, and, depending on how much you spend on the radiator cap, should run you less than $50 total.
Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for your help. i will try these suggestions.
Old 11-28-2010
Registered!!

Thanks