Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 2dr civic ex a/c squeal.

Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hath33 will become famous soon enough
2001 2dr civic ex a/c squeal.

Hey guys my car will make a loud squeal every once in awhile that is annoying and embarrasing as hell so far ive done some listining and found out when it does this. it will squeal everytime from a cold start and turn the a/c on. somtime it does it just when is cold outside and its a cold start. but when its hot i can only get it to do it from a cold start and turn the a/c on. when i am driving on like the freeway i will shift into a lower gear to get more accelaration like to pass some one u can sort of feel somthing like in the belts like it will slow u down a little and u can hear it squeak just a little. ive been told i need to tighten my belts but correct me if im wrong doesnt the 2001 civic have a tensioner for the belts? anyway ive came down to te conclusion that its the a/c clutch pulley or somthing like that but i wanna be sure because its like a 60$ part and im tight on money so plz help me with this problem thankyou if u need anymore info to diagnose just ask.
Old 04-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2001 2dr civic ex a/c squeal.

There is a tensioner for the timing belt but the accessory drive belts for the power steering, A/C and alternator are adjusted manually. If the slipping has not been bad and glazed the belts, you should be able to tighten them and they should be fine. Don't get carried away and tighten them too much or you risk damage to the power steering, A/C or alternator bearings. I believe the power steering and A/C belt is adjusted from the top of the engine by turning a wingnut. You may have to loosen a locking nut so that the power steering pump can move. If you have to adjust the alternator belt, remove the wheel and the plastic flap to get to it.
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

idk i tried tightining them didnt wrk but like i found out it only does it when this thin spins i theres a pully and then like somthing over it and when ever it spins it will squeal till it stops spinning
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

when ever the thing over the pulley spins it squeals