Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

scraping sound coming from driver side wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
scraping sound coming from driver side wheel

okay i just noticed tonight after coming home that there is a noticably loud noise coming from the driver side wheel area. it sounds like an intermittant scraping/hissing/grinding sound. it will sound something like this with the engine running ssssss.sss.....sssssss....ss....s....sssssssssss.. . and im wondering what that would be, and also if its related to the weird clunking sound i hear every time i make a left turn and hear that clunk on the left side like im driving over a big rock or something. any help would be great thanks. this is the last problem im trying to fix after getting back from a long road trip carrying alot of heavy junk. would wheel bearing do it? and why would it make noise when the car isnt moving...
Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: scraping sound coming from driver side wheel

wheel bearing would be more of a plane sound. like WWEEEEEERRRRRRR. "whir" lol.
Old 09-29-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats what i was thinking, and this is making the noise with car parked. idk what else to check. the turning clunk seems more serious than the scraping sounds but who knows. im not sure what it is. a tie rod was loose but that was making bad clicking every time you turn the wheel. this new clunk only happens once when making full left turns. and it does it every time. if i turn very slowly it wont make the noise, only at normal speeds.
Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

I got a feeling its the brakes. Have you checked on them lately?
Old 09-30-2008
Premium Member

yeah they were just replaced in january with new pads and rotors. noise started after road trip in august. actually i had brakes checked again when i got back just a few weeks ago. and i noticed they put the caliper in a different position. like before it was at an angle like 2 o'clock and now they are on the side at 3 o'clock. i didnt think it mattered tho and the other side doesnt make any noise.
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

??? Isnt the caliper held on by 2 bolts at a particular spot? It should always be back at the same spot when they put it back on.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

02civicg5 will become famous soon enough

im having the same exact problem.. at full turns it make a clanking sounf on the left side and wen i go through small bumps and wen im light braking.. could b axle nut??
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DDragon7
??? Isnt the caliper held on by 2 bolts at a particular spot? It should always be back at the same spot when they put it back on.
is this a problem!? lol
Old 10-20-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

the caliper should never move, never, its bolted onto a bracket onto the knuckle, and cannot move if installed correctly
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

okay because it did, and actually after the shop here got done the brakes felt like they were biting better. they were always at 2oclock and now they are at 3oclock at the very side of the rotor. so idk. i can take a pic if you want how it looks now.
Old 10-20-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

do that, it will help, the caliper should be all the way on the rotor, take a pic or 3 and post em
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

the red is where the caliper was for 6 yrs. for the last two months, i had it on the side like this after the shop here in reno got done. they did front and rear brake check, and tightened a loose tie rod. the lug nuts were torqued to almost 200ft/lbs, i had to use my breaker bar AND a pipe extension to loosen and then retorque them. glad i didnt break a stud off. oh yeah and they charged me $50 for looking at the oil pan gasket and saying it wasnt leaking (duh, i just cleaned it the morning before bringing in the car). i said i wanted an ESTIMATE on replacing the gasket. they didnt even give me one lmao. i hate shops.

Old 10-20-2008
Banned

thats the right spot steve, just checked mine, same spot.

if it is making the noise when car is not moving then its not brakes. could be a waterpump however, have u had the timing belt changed yet??
Old 10-20-2008
Banned

and the clunk could be the compliance bushings
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

why was it up more before? im sure it was where i drew the red mark. in fact its the first thing i noticed getting the car back from the shop why the caliper was moved.

as for the scraping, it only does it after i drive the car around. not when its cold and i first start it. the clunking is driving me nuts every time i turn or make a sudden turn of the wheel. every time. sounds like a couple small pops like i went over some rocks. its starting to do it a lil when i turn right now! good grief.

changed timing belt in 2005, and i remember doing the water pump and new crank pulley then too. dont ask why, my car is a distaster to say the least and has an interesting and terrifying history.

compliance bushings are replaced with ES. I never heard the clunk pops before tho and i had the ES on there for a few months already. the noises just started after the road trip.
Old 10-20-2008
Banned

clunk/pop is probably the strut upper mount, i have the same problem right now in my em2
Old 10-20-2008
Banned

the scraping i dont know man, could be water pump, could be a belt pulley, try using lube on a pulley at a time, see if the sound goes away, with car running obviously
Old 10-21-2008
Premium Member

is it okay to drive like that, strut wont fall out or anything right lol. the scraping i dont really care about i have to get out of the car to hear it.

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
clunk/pop is probably the strut upper mount, i have the same problem right now in my em2
Old 10-21-2008
Banned

yea, its fine, been driving like that for 6 months or so, back and forth to chicago, its just the bearings up top popping, u take it apart, and they will prolly spread everywhere, all u need is new top mounts, no biggie
Old 04-13-2010
Registered!!

millera88 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a similar scraping sound going on. it is however, only when the car is moving but it sounds like its coming from the driver side front wheel. i have a 02 lx sedan. usually louder (more noticable) going slower with wheel at 10 to 12 o' clock. wheel bearing? i hope i could be something else? please? also i have a missing stud on the front driver wheel... if the noise is a wheel bearing and is on the same side, while replacing the wheel bearing should be able the replace the stud no problem?
Old 04-13-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
is it okay to drive like that, strut wont fall out or anything right lol. the scraping i dont really care about i have to get out of the car to hear it.
Gearbox,

Actually, i had a similar problem, but just a little after, I heard a very loud thud, and then a clank, clank, clank sound, but curiously it started really loud and repeated itself a few times, each one smaller.
After that, the brakes were oddly weaker than normal, but since i was 3 miles from home, I kept driving. When i got home, i took the wheel off to see what happened. Good god it looked fine, at one glance i could see the whole brake disk and all its surface was free of problems. The whole surface of the disk circumference was good. I can swear, since nothing was obrstructing the view of the whole disk surface! There was some starnge pipes hanging there, leaking some kind of green (?) fluid? Should be nothing, anyway.

What do you think was the problem? Since the brakes were weaker than normal, could it be air in the system?!? Heeelp meee!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-13-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

compliance bushings are replaced with ES. I never heard the clunk pops before tho and i had the ES on there for a few months already. the noises just started after the road trip.
No, no, no.
Compliance bushings will cause code P8098 and you will need to replace you distributor on your 2005 car! Don't do it!
Old 04-13-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
yea, its fine, been driving like that for 6 months or so, back and forth to chicago, its just the bearings up top popping, u take it apart, and they will prolly spread everywhere, all u need is new top mounts, no biggie
Actually, i thinkit is realted to the auto transmission, for they are well know to fail unecpectedly. Go to Honda dealaer and ask them to change the sway bar endlinks and it should correfct the problem.
Old 04-13-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

the red is where the caliper was for 6 yrs. for the last two months, i had it on the side like this after the shop here in reno got done. they did front and rear brake check, and tightened a loose tie rod. the lug nuts were torqued to almost 200ft/lbs, i had to use my breaker bar AND a pipe extension to loosen and then retorque them. glad i didnt break a stud off. oh yeah and they charged me $50 for looking at the oil pan gasket and saying it wasnt leaking (duh, i just cleaned it the morning before bringing in the car). i said i wanted an ESTIMATE on replacing the gasket. they didnt even give me one lmao. i hate shops.

I can't see your pictures!!!
Old 04-13-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by DDragon7
Caliper?!? Hell, no! I checked mine when it did the loud thud and i saw only the disk!!!! What are you taliking about?!? It should not be there!
Old 04-13-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is 2 years old.

Are you high or something? :S
Old 04-13-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Awjvail
This thread is 2 years old.

Are you high or something? :S
Ask Millera88, the newbie who revived this post and did not even read it to understand what this thread was! I am just trying to indirectly inform him of what this thread really is!
But I have to say this: I did not know this thread, and I had a blast reading this! LOL!!!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-13-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by millera88
i have a similar scraping sound going on. it is however, only when the car is moving but it sounds like its coming from the driver side front wheel. i have a 02 lx sedan. usually louder (more noticable) going slower with wheel at 10 to 12 o' clock. wheel bearing? i hope i could be something else? please? also i have a missing stud on the front driver wheel... if the noise is a wheel bearing and is on the same side, while replacing the wheel bearing should be able the replace the stud no problem?
Millera88,
You got points for searching the forum, thank you (for real).
Down points however for not noticing that this thread was a joke, with all the noted comments (except for a few ones in the middle...) very, very hilarious at best, citing all the most common issues that bring people here and just ask without any thinking or searching or any effort at all and expecting us to answer like a dealer who is paid to do it. We not UR slaves! If UR a slave to someone else, do not think you can enslave us to relieve your stress! (you good on that part too, Millera88!)
And to top it off, they do not give any useful info on what the problems are, and finally the absurd solutions given! (you good here too, Millera88!)
I really started laughing from the moment i read the first post (of course, that OP being gearbox helped me realize right away it was a joke!).
Cheers!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-13-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2010
Registered!!

millera88 is an unknown quantity at this point

my bad. ill just make a new thread then...
Old 04-14-2010
Premium Member

i still have the problem lol