Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 civic DTC-P1457

Old 08-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j00fek is an unknown quantity at this point
02 civic DTC-P1457

got an evap leak, just found out through a cel and my scanner.

anyone have any experience with this code? and where the evap canister is on the civic?
Old 08-12-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 02 civic DTC-P1457

could be any number of leaks in the vapor recovery system. the canister is under the car in the rear, by the gas tank. but there are lines going back to engine too that could be damaged. or some of the lines in the engine bay. i know theres one that always rubs if you have aftermarket intake and eats a hole eventually. check that. also try getting a new gas cap, over time the pressure mechanism inside wears out, so does the o-ring seal.
Old 08-16-2008
Registered!!

02Sicivic is an unknown quantity at this point

A common fault with those civics is the Bypass control solenoid or canister vent shut valve. P1456 generally is a loose/faulty gas cap.
Old 08-28-2008
Registered!!

finally went under the car yesterday, checked out all the lines to and from the canister. all were fine, checked the gas cap and the o-ring is good to go as well.

im thinkning that one of the solenoid's is gone, does anyone know ho to test those?

thnx
Old 08-28-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I had a terrible problem with that code. Lucky for me it was an easy fix, other people, not so easy.

If you had recently installed an intake, you may have disconnected the EVAP Canister Purge Valve, the one near your IAC sensor. Took me 2 long months just to figure that one out. Code was gone afterwards.

If that's not the case, apparently if you live in an area where winter comes by, the salt from the plowing/salt trucks end up corroding the solenoids and/or the 2-way valve and/or the vent shut valve, causing a blockage of the EVAP system. I don't know if we have a PCM in our cars, but in other cars it would cause it to short out.

In terms of the testing, I'm pretty sure you gotta take it to Honda for that. I know it requires some machine but I forget which one.
Old 08-29-2008
Registered!!

im thinkning that that the solenoids are not opening as well, i have been listening to the tank when i take the cap off. every time that i take it off there is alot of air coming out of the tank, making me believe that the fumes are not getting to the canister...?

this car is stock as well, no mods
Old 08-29-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

The fumes come out because the fuel system is under pressure. That's just pressure being released.